Complacency? How are you feeling that you're starting PT school soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotaspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in a school. My program starts mid-May and I'm feeling very complacent about life, moving across the US, and starting to plan my move. I'm still enrolled in my Neuroscience class at my community college and tutoring Anatomy... so I am still doing something....

I'm not sure what I am feeling... complacent may be the best word choice.

I worry that my physical health may prevent me down the line.... I've had two knee surgeries before and I expect arthritis down the down and questioning myself... but I feel like it's all a part of this "complacency..."?... like I'm thinking of things I should be worried about. Or maybe it's normal? No, maybe there's a root feeling I can't think of... maybe my surgeries have nothing to do with it? I'm also becoming anxious about housing, money, and health insurance (all valid).... Can't seem to get moving and stuck? Maybe it's surreal my life is finally changing?? I've been wanting to travel for a long time but the time gap before school starts (in less than a month) doesn't allow that (I did go to Sweden and Denmark for 5 days though)... better than nothing....

What am I feeling? What am I missing? Anyone felt confused and kind of ... well complacent? I've heard grad students in their last year sharing the similar feelings so maybe it's common? Even my friend who moved across country for her OT program... just uncertain? I'm not sure.. part of the cycle perhaps? How had people felt right before beginning their program?

(sorry for the typos)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got in a school. My program starts mid-May and I'm feeling very complacent about life, moving across the US, and starting to plan my move. I'm still enrolled in my Neuroscience class at my community college and tutoring Anatomy... so I am still doing something....

I worry that my physical health may prevent me down the line.... I've had two knee surgeries before and I expect arthritis down the down and questioning myself... but I feel like it's all a part of this "complacency..."?... like I'm thinking of things I should be worried about. Or maybe it's normal? No, maybe there's a root feeling I can't think of... maybe my surgeries have nothing to do with it? I'm also becoming anxious about housing, money, and health insurance (all valid).... Can't seem to get moving and stuck? Maybe it's surreal my life is finally changing?? I've been wanting to travel for a long time but the time gap before school starts (in less than a month) doesn't allow that (I did go to Sweden and Denmark for 5 days though)... better than nothing....

What am I feeling? What am I missing? Anyone felt confused and kind of ... well complacent? I've heard grad students in their last year sharing the similar feelings so maybe it's common? Even my friend who moved across country for her OT program... just uncertain? I'm not sure.. part of the cycle perhaps? How had people felt right before beginning their program?

(sorry for the typos)
Try to relax and enjoy the free time. Very soon you won't be getting much of it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

(sorry for the typos)
I think this is a normal feeling to have right before a big change in your life. Going to pt school is a turning point in your life and as exciting as it is it's also nerve racking making this big of a change. The daunting thought of student loans and costs doesn't help either lol. I feel like this waiting period between getting accepted and actually starting school is kind of like a limbo where you're just waiting for the next step to start. But like the other person said, in a few months we're going to be so busy with school, exploring the new cities we're living in, making new friends, etc. that I'm sure these feelings will go away.
If it makes you feel better I suffered a lisfranc injury last Saturday so I'm freaking out about paying for school since I was planning on making as much money as I could this summer and I'm currently in a boot unable to walk and waiting for MRI results :eek:

I don't know about complacent. You're probably subconsciously freaking out but as a coping mechanism so you don't flip out are feeling super chill, relaxed, uninterested. I start PT school in a month only 2 1/2 hours away and I think that's how I would describe how I'm feeling. I know somewhere in there I'm SUPER nervous about going to PT school but at the surface just taking things off my checklist to prepare for school like filling out paperwork, ordering books, and trying to enjoy my time with friends & family. When people ask me if I'm excited for PT school I'm like yeah? but I know the excitement will wear off when I have to bust my ass everyday studying!!! Change can be hard but I'm sure you will be fine. I feel weird? worried? excited? You aren't the only one who feels the way you do. Feel however you want and have some fun before classes start :) In a few weeks you probably won't even have time to worry about your worrying or lack there of!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a little anxious right now. I got accepted into a school that starts in August however from my understanding i am high on a waitlist for a school that starts in a month. If I find out last minute that I am accepted off the list (like many people that I've heard of) I'm not sure how I'll handle it. I'll be happy but right now I'm not mentally ready to start a program like PT school especially since I haven't taken a full load of classes in over 2 years. However though I am very happy to know I will be taking this next big step in my life after applying 3 times!

Well how about that... Yesterday I posted the above message and now today I get a call from the other university!! I guess I'll have to make myself mentally ready for school now!!

Reactions: 1 users
Well how about that... Yesterday I posted the above message and now today I get a call from the other university!! I guess I'll have to make myself mentally ready for school now!!
Well congrats! It's good to have options! So you start in less than a month too?

Yeah the director said a mandatory orientation is on the 19th and the 22nd classes start.