Air Force Competitiveness of HPSP and Prepping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indebtmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this question for me. I'll be applying to medical school relatively soon and on the chance that I get accepted, I am 99% positive that I am interested in applying for the AF HPSP. I've heard there are various physical and academic restrictions in applying for the scholarship, but I haven't been able to find a clear definitive list of what those may be. How far in advance should I plan to "make weight" if I were to apply?

Physically I haven't been in the greatest shape of my life, but I drop weight fairly fast. Perhaps some physical stats would make this easier:

Age when applying for HPSP - 26
Height - 5'8''
Wt - 175 lbs
Visual acuity - -8.5L, -7.0R correctable to 20/20

Can't think of anything else that would be relevant at the moment, but if any other info is needed, do let me know.

Academically, my GPA by the time I apply will be about a 3.22 and my preliminary MCAT scores from my practice tests are showing 34-35 consistently so I'm expecting at least a 30-31 on the real MCATs.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll probably be fine. If you don't make weight, they do measurements on you for ratios, hip-to-waist, and such.

Better lay off the cake and soda hahaha. My waist line has been slowly expanding and I'm sure my metabolism is going to be nonexistant by the time I'm 30.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. Just make sure your handicap is below 110. That's also an Air Force requirement.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what does handicap below 110 mean? I don't follow.

A 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT merit an automatic acceptance grated no complications medically if that tells you anything about academic standards. Get that 30+, lay off the soda, and get handy with a 9 iron and you should have no problems. Good luck!

You can't fix the GPA so too late for that, I am thinking the average has been higher than that over the last few years. Don't get a DUI. Don't have your pastor, barber, gym teacher, Subway supervisor or dad's best friend write your recommendation letter. Apply as early as possible, it is first come first served.

I would also add to apply to the easiest admissions place as possible (DO school? For Profit school?) and if you get accepted use that in your application and then you can switch later if you get into
Hopkins on your stellar personality.