Competitive Residency - How-to guide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footNankle

DMU DPM c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've spent so much of my time on sdn learning about how to be competitive for pod/med school, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't spent much time learning about how to be competitive for residency programs.

I'm starting at DMU in about a month, and I really want to be maximizing my chances of a competitive residency from the moment I start (I mean that in the least gunner-like way possible).

What do residency programs look for besides good grades, class rank, and research?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sticky-information-for-pod-students.972991/

I'm starting my first year this month as well (at Temple) and I'm hoping I can get research, community service, and work experience in there. In addition to rocking my classes.

Also what Ankle Breaker said.
While it's admirable to want to get research, community service, and work experience, none of that holds a candle to getting good grades, passing boards on the first try, and really learning the material so you can impress the residents and attendings on clerkships.

Reactions: 1 user
While it's admirable to want to get research, community service, and work experience, none of that holds a candle to getting good grades, passing boards on the first try, and really learning the material so you can impress the residents and attendings on clerkships.
Of course. I have some time to get all of the stuff I mentioned in there. The bolded is certainly my first priority.

Thank you for the replies everyone!

don't be THAT guy, don't be a tryhard, just be yourself.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with research, service, etc. All I would say though is that grades and clinical skills will be 70% of what is considered at most programs, especially if you extern at a program. 25% will be how you come off as a person (see comments above). Maybe 5% will be other things like lines on a resume.

OP, my best advice is that if you nail your classes, demonstrate clinical competency on externships, pass boards on the first try, and generally come off as a decent person to hang out with for 3 years, you will get any program you want.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I could delete my posts because I definitely feel like I just got jumped on for even daring to suggest that I had an interest in research/service. lol

But I apologize as it was not my intent to spread false information.

Last edited:
I wish I could delete my posts because I definitely feel like I just got jumped on for even daring to suggest that I had an interest in research/service. lol

No false information, I just wanted to make clear that learning the material should be the top priority. If you have an interest and want to do research and community service, that's great too, as long as it doesn't interfere with priority #1. Not my intent to jump all over your post :).

Don't feel bad. Research/EC etc are just there to boost what's already there (knowledge). EC stuff is like protein shake for your workout or a shot of redbull before your exam. Without a proper work-out (knowledge) you won't gain. Without studying the material (knowledge) you won't pass the exam. Your grades will lay down the foundation then it's up to you to decide how high you want to build. Stronger the foundation the higher you can build. Good luck!

Whether you are a tool or not

Depending on the program, this may or not actually matter. If the program uses a lot of input from their own residents, then being a tool matters considerably and will obviously destroy their chances. If the attendings are so full of themselves they don't care to ask anyone else's opinion, then toolbags can match there fairly easily.

Reactions: 1 users
^-- the sad truth.

gigantron - research is totally lacking in podiatry as a whole, very few knows how to do good quality research, even fewer understand the stats behind it. I would suggest you even consider doing it ONLY if you can find a great mentor who knows how to do it, who you are comfortable asking questions from and who will guide you the whole way... otherwise you'll be wasting your time.

So would having research experience before entering school be beneficial to put on a CV? I had a few publications in major journals/ poster presentations at national conferences as an undergraduate. Would the time I spent (3 years) as a full time researcher be able to help me in the future as far as more research opportunities?

So would having research experience before entering school be beneficial to put on a CV? I had a few publications in major journals/ poster presentations at national conferences as an undergraduate. Would the time I spent (3 years) as a full time researcher be able to help me in the future as far as more research opportunities?

it would absolutely be helpful, pod schools would love to have you on their team, and you will likely have more research experience than most of them, you just need to find the right mentor, and you may have to cycle through a few podiatrists before you realize whether or not they can actually help you with your research endeavors, best to find a senior classmate who has successfully published or is close to it and figure out who their mentors are or arent. You may find pods that think they know how do research but really they don't