Competitive Pediatrics Residency Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsmedstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know what a good Step 1 score is that will get interviews and be a competitive applicant at CHOP, Johns Hopkins, Denver, etc?

Also, for pediatrics, how important is research? I understand it is important for ortho, derm, plastics, etc, but what about peds?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

probably not a good idea to put too much stock in 1 number when so many things go into an application, but I would guess ~230 minimum and to be "competitive" maybe 240+

I don't think your step I counts for much other than to get a foot in the door, but for a reference point, I matched to the CHOP intern class to start in July and my boards are 232 (I)/234 (II)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I hope I do well on Step 1. We shall see. It is in under a month from now.

Thanks for letting me know your scores. That does help a lot. I was wondering, did you do any research? Do you think research is imperative to getting into a great program, or what are your thoughts on this? Thanks!

Granted this was 7 years ago but I got one point below the mean on Step I and got interviews at Hopkins, CHOP, Boston, etc.-went to Hopkins and will be graduating from Hopkins fellowship shortly. I didn't do tons better on Step 2. What got my foot in the door was high honors in all of my third year clerkships and great letters. I didn't do significant research in med school, just some bench stuff in college. So there's no formula. good luck! :)

Granted this was 7 years ago but I got one point below the mean on Step I and got interviews at Hopkins, CHOP, Boston, etc.-went to Hopkins and will be graduating from Hopkins fellowship shortly. I didn't do tons better on Step 2. What got my foot in the door was high honors in all of my third year clerkships and great letters. I didn't do significant research in med school, just some bench stuff in college. So there's no formula. good luck! :)

Thanks! Did you do an away rotation at Hopkins? Would you recommend it to be a competitive applicant? (This goes for any competitive peds residency program)

Just as a informational note, the last three matches have seen an upswing of the mean step scores rise about 10 points.

No one seems to have an concrete info on what scores are required, but it would be safe to assume that the programs use the two digit score as a cut-off (i.e. 92 or something around there) since it allows for greater flexibility than the 3-digit score. Some people have suggested a 230 as a maximum cut-off for the top programs, but who knows.

As the previous poster has noted, honours in clinical rotations probably carry a great deal of weight.

Just curious, how much does your step 1/2 scores factor in to getting a pediatric specialty fellowship (am interested in hem/onc)...what exactly would be the most important aspect of your resume for something like that? Step scores, clinicals, strong research?

Step I/II for fellowship-- not much-- the key is doing great during residency and having phenomenal letters from your PD and other faculty members. If you have faculty that trained at a particular institution that like you they can be a huge asset to put in a good word. Fellowship programs may peek at your Step 2 score, but overall it's all going to depend on your peds residency performance and your interview. :)

I have a question related to this thread - will poor preclinical grades (all passes, no honors OR failing grades) keep one out of CHOP/Boston Childrens? I do not have great preclinical grades but, assuming I do well in clinics, will any doors be closed to me?

If it matters, I am an MD/PhD student at a top 5 med school, as ranked by US News.

edit: actually, I hope I didn't hijack the thread, OP - I just didn't want to make a new thread for a similar question. Apologies.

all passes is not "poor"-- just average-- and again, to get interviews at top programs you have to really excel third year-- all passes won't do it during third year, and your passes from the first two years certainly don't take you out of the running. HAVE to get the highest grade in your peds rotation and preferably most of your rotations (internal medicine, surgery, OB, family medicine particularly). Snippets from each rotation often go into your dean's letter, which plays a big role in the residency match. Good luck!

Thanks for all the insight you guys. I think that a lot of people have been looking at this thread because people are interested in it as well. Any other advice you guys have for getting into the best residencies for pediatrics? Anything that you would have done differently? Anything that you feel made you stand out from the rest of the crowd?

Hey guys,

I just wanted some feedback/advise. I want to go to a top teir pediatric residency and apply for a semi-competitive fellowship. I didn't decide this until after half way through the m3 year. I started with pediatrics and it was my worst rotation. How bad do you think this is going to affect me?

I don't need reassurance, i just want an honest opinion of how comfortable you would feel if you were in my situation, especially from residents who have gone thru the applications process alreaady.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The average step score for someone who matched in Peds is ~218.

Hey guys,

I just wanted some feedback/advise. I want to go to a top teir pediatric residency and apply for a semi-competitive fellowship. I didn't decide this until after half way through the m3 year. I started with pediatrics and it was my worst rotation. I got Honors (Outstanding) in my other clerkships, but only Advanced in peds. Boards were about 243 step 1 and take step 2 soon with estimated score around 240 as well. Pre-clincal grades were 75% honors and 25% satisfactory.

How bad do you think this is going to affect me? I attend University of Illinois.

I don't need reassurance, i just want an honest opinion of how comfortable you would feel if you were in my situation, especially from residents who have gone thru the applications process alreaady.

Thanks!

Does step 2 matter much for peds residency? Just curious - emphasis always seems to be on step 1, but wasn't sure...

Does step 2 matter much for peds residency? Just curious - emphasis always seems to be on step 1, but wasn't sure...
It probably varies with the program (and with their selection committee), but the committee in my department places more weight on Step 2. In my opinion, the content of Step 2 is more relevant to what we want our residents to know and be able to teach. I suspect that the reason that Step 1 is emphasized is that virtually all applicants will have a Step 1 score when the application is submitted, but some may not have taken Step 2 by then.

Thanks McGill grad. What I'm really worried about is:

1) I don't attend a top 40 ranked med school
2) My Peds shelf was my lowest subject exam score.

Twilight doc, I don't know what school you are with, but do you think a program like... Vandy, Baylor, WashU, U of Chi, UWash are still going to see me as an attractive applicant? I should basically throw in the towel for CHOP, Boston, and Cinncy, right?

Do most schools have a number based system where you need to meet certain criteria to be offered an interview?

Last edited:
Thanks McGill grad. I have looked at the Step 1 distribution via "charting the match" and found my score is good for about the 80th percentile. I think I have a decent shot at getting AOA at my school. I thought I'd be a pretty competitve applicant except for.

1) I go to University of Illinois; not really a powerhouse.
2) My Peds shelf (first shelf taken) was 20 points lower than my later shelf scores. By the end of the year I was getting 89 (surgery) and 91 (psych). My peds was 72, which I've read is somewhere between 35th-50th percentile.

Twilight doc, I don't know what school you are with, but do you think a program like... Vandy, Baylor, WashU, U of Chi, UWash are still going to see me as an attractive applicant? I should basically throw in the towel for CHOP, Boston, and Cinncy, right?

Do most schools have a number based system where you need to meet certain criteria to be offered an interview?

LOL, you need to stop listening to whoever is making you so paranoid. Your numbers and grades will make you VERY competitive for any peds program in the country, including CHOP.

...do you think a program like... Vandy, Baylor, WashU, U of Chi, UWash are still going to see me as an attractive applicant? I should basically throw in the towel for CHOP, Boston, and Cinncy, right? Do most schools have a number based system where you need to meet certain criteria to be offered an interview?
I agree with AttyHubby- your numbers are pretty good and I would be surprised if you didn't get an interview at most (maybe all) of the places you mentioned. If you were my advisee, I would be optimistic about your chances. And shelf exam scores only show up in ERAS if your school puts them in the MSPE or in a departmental letter (chair letter, clerkship director letter). I wouldn't worry about things you can't control (grades, previous scores) but would concentrate on doing well this year, quality volunteer or research activities, letters of recommendation, etc.

Thanks a lot, twilightdoc and attyhubby, for the peace of mind. I'm much less worried after reading your responses. Thanks!