Competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinola

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my medical degree at the University of Oxford and am just completing my DPhil there (DPhil=Doctor of Philosophy); I was thinking of applying for ophthalmology residency in the US. Should I expect resistance from the "better" programs (e.g. MEEI etc.) despite the fact that I attended an internationally renowned university?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Spinola
I did my medical degree at the University of Oxford and am just completing my DPhil there (DPhil=Doctor of Philosophy); I was thinking of applying for ophthalmology residency in the US. Should I expect resistance from the "better" programs (e.g. MEEI etc.) despite the fact that I attended an internationally renowned university?

Your academic background is fine. The question is are you a US Citizen? If you are a US citizen who completed medical school in England, then you'll be fine. I'm not sure what all the hold ups are, but I think a lot has to do with VISA status.