Competition??? HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have heard that getting into the HPSP program for the AF to be a dentist is very competitive. If this is true, what is important in determining if you are a candidate or not?? I am prior enlisted AF, so I know the basics but not the details:) Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

grades (3.5) and DAT score (19)

edited to add the "matrix" score where you get pushed through the application process

Those two things above, and most importantly make up your mind and apply early. There are loads of qualifying guys/gals out there. Just read around and you see plenty of high-graders queuing in the wait line.

Members don't see this ad :)
grades (3.5) and DAT score (19)

edited to add the "matrix" score where you get pushed through the application process

Are these requirements applied strictly in the process or do they sometimes make exceptions, too? ;) And.. does any of you know if there are similar requirements for the Navy?

I thought i've heard from someone that army/navy/af were all in short supply of dentists or something so it would be relatively easy to get in.. i guess i was wrong. :confused:

The name of the game is applying early for the armed forces stuff. Because of the waiting periods and all the delays, you really need to get your stuff in as soon as you can. B/c most people meet the matrix or they're close if they're getting into dental school. I completed all my stuff b4 I got accepted and was early.

Are these requirements applied strictly in the process or do they sometimes make exceptions, too? ;) And.. does any of you know if there are similar requirements for the Navy?

I thought i've heard from someone that army/navy/af were all in short supply of dentists or something so it would be relatively easy to get in.. i guess i was wrong. :confused:

I had a 3.25 GPA, 21/22/20 DAT and was waitlisted for the AF 4 year scholarship. I guess they had a waitlist that stretched to 50 or so. I reapplied and received the 3 year.

So yes...for the AF at least it is pretty damn competitive.

I had a 3.25 GPA, 21/22/20 DAT and was waitlisted for the AF 4 year scholarship. I guess they had a waitlist that stretched to 50 or so. I reapplied and received the 3 year.

So yes...for the AF at least it is pretty damn competitive.

Man.. I hear you. Did you apply early?
Has anyone applied to the Navy HPSP and got waitlisted or rejected?

Since these things are so darn competitive, would it be possible for one to apply to both Navy and AF at the same time?

Since these things are so darn competitive, would it be possible for one to apply to both Navy and AF at the same time?

I had my application ready to go about a month or so following acceptance in December. I was told this was more than sufficient.

The reason it's competitive is because it's a good financial deal. Many will say do it because you want to serve first and foremost. While I respect that, it would be stupid to not look at the financial considerations. For me, estimating conservatively,

3 years tuition = ~180 K
3 years stipend while in school = ~60K
Interest for those 3 years = ~20K
Pay for 3 years in AF = ~190K ?

=~450K for 3 years active duty

+lower tax bracket (keep more of what I earn), 20-25? K loan from USAA at your third year at something like 3% interest (use it to pay down higher interest loans), 3 years experience gaining skill and efficiency in dentistry straight out of school...

list goes on.

I had my application ready to go about a month or so following acceptance in December. I was told this was more than sufficient.

The reason it's competitive is because it's a good financial deal. Many will say do it because you want to serve first and foremost. While I respect that, it would be stupid to not look at the financial considerations. For me, estimating conservatively,

3 years tuition = ~180 K
3 years stipend while in school = ~60K
Interest for those 3 years = ~20K
Pay for 3 years in AF = ~190K ?

=~450K for 3 years active duty

+lower tax bracket (keep more of what I earn), 20-25? K loan from USAA at your third year at something like 3% interest (use it to pay down higher interest loans), 3 years experience gaining skill and efficiency in dentistry straight out of school...

list goes on.

Thanks for the detailed response KOM.

So.. do army/navy/af reveal "acceptance rate" for their HPSP sscholarships? Does anybody have a rough figure for this?

Also.. what is USAA loan at your third year? I was interested in getting a loan from d-school as mentioned in this thread. How is this different?

Thanks for the detailed response KOM.

So.. do army/navy/af reveal "acceptance rate" for their HPSP sscholarships? Does anybody have a rough figure for this?

Also.. what is USAA loan at your third year? I was interested in getting a loan from d-school as mentioned in this thread. How is this different?

Army for the past several years was been underfilled. In 2005 the Army had only 83 of its 93 alloted scholorships awarded, and the Navy had 65 of its 85. That was based off an article in a local newspaper at Fort Sill OK in 2006. I saved it just to laugh at it.:laugh: If you've got a pulse and never had a serious felony, you'd get accepted to either of these. However things might have changed this year with the 20K signing bonus, but i doubt it.

Actually, the program is pretty competitve even when the services were not making goal. The Army, Navy, AF is not going to accept a low GPA, DAT person reagardless of whether they were accepted to school or not. This year the Navy will make dental and medical goal. The years they did not make goal, there was a long list of people who were denied.

In reality, the Air Force program is not more competitive than the other services. The fact is that the AF yearly goal is 1/3 or less of the other services. So they fill up faster.

My advice is to apply early and see what happens. A tleast you'll have an option. the HPSP and HSCP programs are both great and should be seriously considered.

Ciao.

Actually, the program is pretty competitve even when the services were not making goal. The Army, Navy, AF is not going to accept a low GPA, DAT person reagardless of whether they were accepted to school or not. This year the Navy will make dental and medical goal. The years they did not make goal, there was a long list of people who were denied.

In reality, the Air Force program is not more competitive than the other services. The fact is that the AF yearly goal is 1/3 or less of the other services. So they fill up faster.

My advice is to apply early and see what happens. A tleast you'll have an option. the HPSP and HSCP programs are both great and should be seriously considered.

Ciao.

You are absolutely right the AF simply has fewer spots available. It is the smallest of the 3 branches of the military and thus needs less support staff as well.

Thats what I will be doing. Better to apply to both.