Comparison of care-US v. UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadofDr2B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is an article that discusses the real issues of socialized medicine.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110006785

The author had his wife in several hospitals and gives his account of US v. UK systems of hospital care for stroke victims.

Members don't see this ad.

"Now, the smartest thing I did before we left the hotel was to delay the ambulance driver long enough to run back to my room and grab my wife's cell phone."

That's right kids! Who cares about anoxic brain injury when you've got a cell phone to grab? And next person to call an EMT "ambulance driver" can wheel their own ass to the ER.

"Since a stroke is all about the brain, I wanted to clear her head of as much sickness as I could." Later he mentions how he would smoke cigars in front of his just-stroked out wife.

Mhm.

The guy is a freakin' tool. His article bursts with circular logic, cognitive distortions, and enough splitting to make your friendly neighborhood schizophrenic blush.

Multiple-payer systems are not doomed just because the US one is dominated by greed and special interests which own much of the government. Single-payer systems are not stone-age medicine just because that's what happened in USSR or UK.

Well, the words "snotty nosed brat" come to my mind when I read this guy's mean-sprited article. What an aggressive jerk, calling all sorts of big whigs in for his special treatment.

I have lived in Europe and in England for a while, and I would say that University Hospital is very good for medical care. But I am not surprised he got his room at 2:00 am, and with a window, after reading how he was calling all sorts of news heads. I wonder what UK patient they had to kick out in the middle of the night to accomodate his spoiled American behavior, tho.

I feel embarassed to be American when I read about people like this. And to compare his UK experiences with Cornell??? Cornell? Come on, any hospital is going to come up looking like the Land of Oz if you give Maurice Greenberg's and Sandy Weil's millions to them. But before they gave their money, from what I hear, Cornell was just as scary as any other city hospital. What an amazing difference millions of dollars can make.

This kind of thing makes me really mad. I received really good care from the UK Nation Health System and I like the idea of a national healthcare system for all. I don't agree that some people can get awesome medical care here, but with no $$ you are out of luck. I mean, if you have insurance you can get your life threatening cancer taken care of. If you have no insurance, then sorry, you will just have to stay home and well, die I guess.

I think Americans should be shamed for this awful healthcare system we have. :(