companion question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoosierDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...just wanted to start a thread to get some details on having pets during medical school. I know that seems a bit strange...but i have a large dog that i plan on bringing with me to medical school. I was wondering if anyone else out there has gone through the transition...and was wondering if anyone has any input or advice. Many people have told me to get another dog so that they would have each other while im on campus all day...that just seems like too much chaos...any input? Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

As busy as you are going to be....poor dog...that just doesn't seem fair.....

I guess another dog would be a solution...sort of, but now 2 dogs?....poor dogs

Also, what are your living arrangements going to be? Apt to save money? POOR DOGS, no place to run around....and you get to pick up their deposits on the grass

:( :( :( :(

I love dogs and I really wish I had one because they would make a great companion during med school, but I think it would be selfish to have one in this situation because I am never home...and when I am home I am studying.....if you can leave the dog with your parents or something i think it would be better, but I understand how tough that could be too

Better to have a fish.......you can always send 'em down the porcelain whirlpool.....just kidding:laugh:

I am having this exact same problem. I have had my dog for 7 years. He requires a lot of attention that I know I won't be able to give him and I just would never be able to find the time for 2 dogs so I am trying to figure out how in the world to say goodbye to my dog. It just breaks my heart to even contemplate not having him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by maysqrd
I am having this exact same problem. I have had my dog for 7 years. He requires a lot of attention that I know I won't be able to give him and I just would never be able to find the time for 2 dogs so I am trying to figure out how in the world to say goodbye to my dog. It just breaks my heart to even contemplate not having him.

I feel exactly the same way! I've had one dog for 12 yrs, and the other for 9 yrs, since both were puppies. They follow me wherever I go. I don't know what I'll do and what they'll do after I move, because then I'll see them about once a year.

I remember in college, this one person would always leave his/her dog outside while they went to class. The dog was really well behaved, and always stayed in the grassy area by whatever building his owner went into. But that's not a feasible option for most dogs, especially if you're going to a place with temperature extremes.

If your dog is accustomed to being by itself for hours on end, and is well trained in the potty department, it could work. I know that my little one is happy to stay at home for the entire day, but my big one throws temper tantrums sometimes (chews on paper, even ate cash once!). How long have you had your dog?

Hey there,

I know of a couple single people in my class who have a dog. I think it's definitely do-able. For one thing, it seems like they incorporate their exercise in with dog bonding time. I never see them at the gym. Also they tend to study at home in the evenings, which gives them more time with their baby. Seems like the biggest challenge is finding someone to take care of the dog during breaks when they're going out of town. But they've sent out e-mails to our class to find someone to do this, and I assume all worked out. Good luck!

Andrea

I have one dog and one cat. The dog is a three-year old dalmatian (read: lots o' energy). The cat is an eight-year old cocktail weenie with toothpicks for legs. I have moved seven times in the last eight years (hopefully this one will be our last for the next four years). Each time the cat has moved with us. The past three moves the dog has moved with us. During the time with the dog, we have lived in a one bedroom apartment, a house, and are now moving into a one-bedroom condo.

If you feel really strongly about having your companion, then you just have to make decisions that support having one. What do I mean? When we looked at buying a house, we looked for a nearby park that Sophie (the dal) could run in. We looked for places we could take her to make sure she gets enough exercise. When we looked at buying our condo we looked for the same thing. We found a place that has an awesome walking trail practically right out our front door. It definitely takes a lot of work. I walk the dog early in the morning and when my hubby comes home he runs a couple of miles with her. Then during the weekend, we take her hiking, swimming, etc. But she is well worth it. She is our mental break.

I couldn't imagine getting through school with out my faithful pup sleeping at my feet when I study (or my fat cat trying to lay on my papers) or walking with the pup as the sun comes up every morning and clearing my mind as I start my day. When I have a tough day, I get to come home to her happy, wagging self greeting me with unconditional love.

Sure it takes a little extra work, but the benefits far outweigh the hassles. And yes, going out of town is a little more difficult, but if you are able to hook up with some other students who have (or want to have) a dog, then you can share the puppy watching duties when others go out of town and they can help when you are out of town. And many locations have dog sitting/walking people that you can hire while you are gone. If it's important to you, you can make it a reality.

If you are afraid that she'll be lonely, perhaps consider getting an independent pet like a cat that doesn't take much to care for and can provide companionship while you're in class.

Good luck to you and your best friend!
Zippy