Comp 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread, as requested-about interviews, tips, admissions, and all other things WesternU/COMP.

So, please, tips are always welcomed from the MS to hopefuls like myself. And thanks again to those who have already given us their words of wisdom.

Chrissy

Members don't see this ad.

Chrissy,
hey ...hahha...did i do that?...well at least you listened..thanks....so when are you visiting for interviews...?...well, if you need any further assistance...just give me, melancholy, or yosh a hollar...message...well, talk to you and others then.

"two roads diverge in the woods...i forged my own path...hope i don't get lost"...hahha

always

Good thread -- now only if I could get an interview... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview today for 9/24...anyone have any tips for this school. Is this one on one, or panel format like TUCOM. Any info. will help. thanks and good luck to all

Hello!
I just got back from my interview today. I was part of the first group of interviewees-we were a nervous bunch. It went really well! The morning group had 2 people interviewing and the afternoon group (myself included) had 3 people interviewing. The morning group said theirs was really relaxed, whereas we all thought the afternoon ones were much more serious. They asked me things about myself, and thats it. Its was nice to have a school be so interested in me and my experiences and motivation. So, know yourself well! It was a good day, and a good first interview experience for me. I'm sure it will be the same for the rest of you. Keep me posted on how it all goes and good luck!

yeah cac is pretty much right....you will have 2-3 interviewers...i only had one last year..cuz the others couldn't show up...but, they pretty much asked you about yourself....it's more like a conversation....we kinda got sidetracked...and talked about the benefits...of diverse cultures and backgrounds that students bring to the school...weird huh?...oh wells...
if you have more questions...let me know.:D

Chrissy,

I can't believe they're already going to interview for DO 2007, sounds so distant. Anyway, be yourself, try to relax in the face of the panel, know about osteopathy, have some questions to ask them, and try to talk to some of the DO students prior and find out about the interviewers.

Good luck
Eric, MSIII

Hey, Forensic Chick!

I'm noticing that we're both waiting for an interview. I'm still getting my ex-professors to write my letters (it's been more than a month since I asked). Don't despair when you see all of these people who say they got interviews. I know that I feel a little sick each time I see someone saying "I got an interview at COMP"

I say that we'll be classmates next year! What do you think?

Originally posted by Toejam
Hey, Forensic Chick!

I'm noticing that we're both waiting for an interview. I'm still getting my ex-professors to write my letters (it's been more than a month since I asked). Don't despair when you see all of these people who say they got interviews. I know that I feel a little sick each time I see someone saying "I got an interview at COMP"

I say that we'll be classmates next year! What do you think?

TJ, (and FC, FEMT), I wouldn't worry too much. From what I heard in the choice of interview times, it's like they interview 3-4 days a week, morning and evening sessions. In my afternoon sessions, there's only me and one other guy. To me, this means that it's still early, and there are *plenty* of interview times/days. Just keep on it!

- Tae

Toejam,

I'll be seeing you at COMP next August for sure!! (please, no one pop my bubble at this point!!!) :hardy:

Tae, thanks for the promising words. I can still hope!!

Keep me updated on your interview stuff. I always like hearing about great people getting interviews :)

Hi future COMPers,

I'm a MSI and enjoying it so far at WesternU. Let me know how I can help: interviews, housings, transportations, etc. You can email me anytime. I always need a lil break from lecture. (yes I check emails during certain lectures.. and we all know who those are... hehe)

Catch you all later!

Wow.. sounds like we have a good mix of people on here already. Thought I'd go ahead and re-post my reply from another thread about interviews:

Unless they have changed the format (and I haven't heard of anything like that yet), you're usually interviewed by anywhere from 1-3 members of the faculty and maybe administration (someone will have to check me on that). Depending on the interviewers, one may get some difficult ethical and/or provocative questions or the questions may all be rather routine and laid-back. I suggest being able to talk about anything mentioned in your secondary application (since they will have it sitting in front of them) as well as prepping with the usual sort of interview questions that get asked. These sort of questions may range from listing your strengths and weaknesses to your knowledge of osteopathy to why do you think you would be a good match for this school to questions regarding your feelings between going to a DO or MD school (Just to list a few examples) Personally, I think the main key is to be genuine and not to be too stressed out. Sometimes, it is not a matter of having the correct answer as much as having a thought process that was well-thought-out.

At any rate, if you're still in the process of sending in/processing your secondary application all the way up until the interview process and beyond, I recommend you give the admissions office a call from time to time to make sure that everything is in order and that they aren't missing anything. Unfortunately, things do happen where paperwork gets lost... and we all want to minimize that sort of thing happening, right? Call to make sure your file is complete. Even if something is being priority-mailed or express-mailed over, call to make sure it got there. If you feel comfortable, ask politely for the person's name who is helping you as well in case you have to speak to him/her again (and you most likely will be!) It's always better to err on the safe side.

What else.. please try to get your stuff in as early as possible! Push for that however possible without threatening anyone! (Once those recs are in, don't forget to graciously thank those who wrote recs for you. ) I believe we have people on this thread who have gotten in early and late so there is always hope of getting in provided you do as much as possible to increase your chances.

Anyway, opps.. I guess I must have posted this sort of late for Awdc, so hopefully you have a good interview day this Thursday! Still, hopefully this helps someone out. Time to get back to studying.. yikes!

Lanny
MS-II

Thanks Eric and the MS at COMP for advice and the positivity! Although I wish I had the tips before my interview...now I'm in the frenzied stage of waiting and thinking about what I said and how I acted...ugh, this has got to be the worst part of it all.
Is there anything I should do while I wait? Thank-you notes to interviewers, right?

Just venting...good luck again to everyone, and I hope we all are part of COMPs DO class of 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
CAC - was the interview panel format? tour before or after the actual interview? were you impressed with the school? sorry for all the ?'s I am just getting a little excited for my interview on Tues; thanks

Hi SoCal,
I wouldn't say the interview was panel format although we were situated in the room with the 3 interviewers across from me. They didn't seem to have an order of questioning, just shooting off questions one right after the other. The half hr of interviewing went quickly!
I had an afternoon interview. The morning interviewers got there around 8am and we all did the same orientation after their interviews (~11am) and we all ate lunch together and did the tour together. Then the morning group was allowed to leave and we had our afternoon interviews.
The campus is small, I'm not sure what I expected, I guess I'm used to larger campuses since I went to a public university. All the people I encountered there-office staff, students, interviewers, etc-were all really nice. Very welcoming! So, thats definitely a positive.
It was a positive experience, and I'd love to be a part of COMP. I'm sure your interest in the school will increase after your day there, too. The only thing I'm sad about, is the distance the school is from the beaches...but, life if full of compromises and sacrifices!
Good luck! Relax and be confident...I'm looking forward to hearing how it all went.

Hi CAC,
Yeah, unfortunately the beaches are about 40-45 minutes away. Still, that's not too bad unless you used to live about 10-15 minutes away. I know that for some students who went to UC-Irvine (which was only about 10 minutes from the beach), many of them just didn't go that often... so sometimes proximity to the beach doesn't mean you'll end up going all the time.

That being said, I could use a day out on the beach....

I saw some interviewees today that toured through our OMM lab during lunch (I waved) and a few sat in our MS-II classroom upstairs. I don't suppose awdc was in that group?

I waved to some too!! There were a few ppl in our MSI classroom during Dr. Khan and Dr. Leo's lectures. And I saw a few walking through the Commons during lunch. It was refreshing to see you guys and good to reminisce about that same day when I interviewed here. I was so nervous!! So I know how everyone feels. Don't worry... relax and you'll be fine!

Take care,
NX811

Thanks for all the tips, Melancholy. Good thing I checked the forum early this morning. And yes, I was in the interview group today that passed through the OMM lab during lunch and sat in the afternoon MS-II lecture for awhile.

I was wondering if any of you felt the way I did during my interview. I thought the half hour went by fast! At first, I thought they were kicking me out after 15 minutes. At the same time, I'm thinking there wasn't enough time to convey to them who I really am. I guess all I can do now is pray.

I am going on 10/08, got a call today!
Anybody that day?
:clap:

Hey Awdc.. which one were you? Not like I remember many faces.. but it has been sort of a dream that one day I'll accidentally meet an SDN'er who is interviewing at COMP. With the 2006 crowd, I didn't get to really meet anyone until the summer before school started.... might as well get a headstart on meeting the c/o 2007!

Anyway, I was just wondering how your day went and all.. overall impressions of the tour, people you talked to, interview, etc. What sort of questions did they ask during the interview? The interview can go by really fast if you try to stay pretty relaxed. I used to think longer interviews were good.. back in the college application days, I'd hear stories about how some college applicants would have interviews that lasted an hour and a half! Med school interviews don't seem to go too long.. partially because they have a time schedule to keep up with.

Hope you had a good day in Pomona.. sunshine and all!

Congrats on the interview AnaCarol!

Awdc, who did you interview with? I felt like you-that it went by really fast! I'm sure you did much better than you think! At one point of my interview I was asked to talk about a paper "I had to have written" as an Anthropology major about the Pima Indians! Definitely an unexpected question...

Can someone tell me the best way to get to COMP from San Diego. I was thinking about taking the 15N. to the 10E. or 60E. If you can tell me the fastest way, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, and good luck to all on the interviews.

Have COMP interview tommorrow. Any last minute advice. Thanks

Be relaxed and confident, know your application and why you want to go to COMP.
You'll do great!
Good luck!

I have my interview on Thursday. I understand that we will be interviewed by 1-3 people as a committee. I am just wondering if there was a difficult/challenging question that was asked at your interviews and if so, what it was...
Thanx

Hi folks,
I remember a few questions from my interview a year and a half ago. Examples included what do I know about osteopathy.. did I know when osteopathy was born.. what were my positive and negative attributes.. what attributes/contributions do I think I could bring to my class.. and there was a question regarding what did I think will be a major upcoming medical issue in the future. They asked about my secondary app as well. Keep in mind that some people may not get any "difficult" questions at all.. I feel it's random based on who the interviewer(s) are on a certain day. Just try to keep your wits about you, stay honest, relaxed if possible, and let them see your genuine personality. :)Getting to the interview definitely increases your chances of getting in. (Oh yeah.. sometimes it helps to mention if you've had any contact with COMP faculty/admin/alumni in the past or attended any of the OMAC conferences that COMP holds a few times a year.)

Thanks melancholy that really helps!

I remember Dr. Leo asked me if I applied to allopathic schools at all, and if I got any responses from them. Then if I get accepted at both, which one would I go to. Just be honest and I'm sure they'll see your genuine passion about medicine. But I would definitely look up some basics on osteopathic medicine if you don't know much about it.

Good luck all!

Good point.. I think they DID ask about my applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. I think that's a very good question to prep yourself for.. just in case it shows up.

wow...melancholy and chau covered everything...shoot...i don't know what to say...haha..i'm so proud...ahhaha...well..i don't have anything to say accept have fun on interview day...be relax...and take in the whole atmosphere of the school..and don't be afraid to talk to the msI and MSII...most are pretty friendly and will answer whatever questions you might have...as exemplified through this forum....good luck....
always,
vinh

Hi everyone,

I am wondering does Western has a group interivew and do they review applicants' files again along with interivew result before making the final decision?

Thanks for help!

hello all,
I just finished AZCOM and will be heading to Pomona for my COMP interview soon. They are both my top choices. I was wondering how the current COMP MS feel about the "spirit" of the campus community. I've read some stuff posted on sdn and am a bit anxious about whether you all feel you made the right choice. If given the chance, would you have chosen COMP again?

oceanwhite- hi there. there is no "panel" interview like Touro, but they do have up to 3 interviewers at a time in the room with you. (Read some of the earlier comments in this message thread) As far as the admissions process go, I can only imagine they go through everything in your file again before making a final decision which includes recommendations/comments from the interviewers.

<b>Avonlea</b>- I had some skepticism about COMP before I came too, because what certain individuals had said about the school. But then I also talked some other 2nd year and realized the whole story. I think every school has their problems, and frankly, I don't think it's that bad here. I'm enjoying my time and have had no problem. Our class is tight, and the people are just great. And the MSII have been especially helpful to us.
What I would suggest is for you to come to COMP, walk around, talk to some ppl and realize that your attitude here makes all the difference. Med school is going to be hard anywhere you go, so find a place where you're most comfortable.
For me, it's here at COMP :) I've lived in Arizona for too long :)

Good luck and hope to see you here next fall!!

Avonlea- Oh yeah, NX811 beat me to the punch. I think my suggestion was to, if possible, get a chance to walk around campus and talk to students.. especially during your interview day. Even though it isn't much exposure, it's the most most applicants/students get.. so try to make the most of it. Even after that, talking to other students later by whatever means is sometimes a good idea as well to get a broad prospect of everything.

HI All...Just got back from my interview at COMP today. I'll give you a run down, hope this helps.
I got to the school a few hours early, to give myself plenty of time to check things out. As far as the students...from what I experienced, they are awesome. Students actually came up to me and ask how everything was going so far, extending a good luck. I had a student give me his email, if I had any questions. I walked around during the OMM lab, and students were extremely friendly and interested in how my day was going. The TA's introduced themselves to me and were really nice. I followed the MSI's to biochem, where a student asked me how everyone was treating me, and asked if I had gotten anything to eat. He wished me well, with a pat on the back. The staff, Ann Koch especially, was amazing. This lady actually grew up in my town in NY. Everyone was very interested in how my day was and wishing me well. We ate lunch after our orientation, with a student, whom then gave us a quick tour. I asked him a bunch of ?'s, which he answere very honestly. From what I saw, the students all seemed very happy with each other, and their school. I interviewed at 1:30, with two profs/Dr.'s. The interview was not stressful at all. I felt so comfortable with the school by this point, that I was looking forward to the interview. The questions they asked allowed me to go in depth about my strengths and interest in Osteopathic medicine. They wanted to know why Osteo, why comp, what could I bring to the school, asked an ethical question, what I thought was the strengths and weaknesses of my app.,. I know they asked me more, but I dont remember specifics. All the ?'s related directly to me and my motivations, so, if you know why you want to be there, you'll do fine. Overall, I was very impressed with the school, staff, and most of all the students. The only negative thing I can say, is that it was hot. There is a big fire burning up that way too, so the sky was filled with thick smoke. Also, somehow, in my nervousness in the a.m, I left my lights on. A security guard drove is own car over to me to give me a jump. I hope this helps some of you, please feel free to contact me if you want some more info. Thanks and good luck.

Yay!! I'm really glad your interview went well, <b>SoCal</b>. I might have seen you in OMM lab. I was in one of the tables towards the front. Now you know what I mean about how cool the ppl here are. I think when the stress level rises, having positive encouraging ppl around really helps!
It seems like you're in by your report :) So I hope you'll choose to come here. And yes, it was unusually hot for the past 2 days. And that big fire didn't help either. The temp. should drop soon I think. But isnt' it kinda hot in SD too for the past few days?

Well, anyway, I have to learn the sacral plexus by the end of tonight. So just be patient <b>SoCal</b> and wait for that thick envelope :) If you have any concern, drop me an email anytime.

Bonsoir.

NX811 - You probably did see me. I was rolling solo, since I got there very early, for an afternoon interview. I kinda hung around in the front and talked to a TA, and Dr(I think) I listened into a Dr. with a couple of students for awhile, and he was actually one of two whom interviewed me. I guess they are right...be nice to all, you never know what will happen. I know the ad. com meets tomm., so hopefully I will be hearing soon. Thanks for all of your input...I have been reading your and melencholys posts on the COMP 2006, and they are very helpful. Hope to be seeing you all in a few months.

Congratulations SoCal, glad to hear it went so well!
Who were your interviewers? Was the OMM prof one of yours-Dr. Jones?

Yeah...Dr.Jones, and Dr. Felton. They both seemed to be pretty nice guys. Have you heard from the school yet? I think the Ad. Comm. meets today...so if not...I guess we will both be hearing soon. Good luck to you.

Hi SoCal,
Dr. Jones was really nice during my interview, he even offered his business card to me in case I had further questions/concerns. I haven't heard anything yet, but I figured they wouldn't discuss the group of interviewees until today since they meet Wednesdays and we were the 1st group last week...so, keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to you too-hopefully we'll both be posting good news within the next couple days!

Hopefully CAC. Are you interviewing at TUCOM too? I interview there on Oct. 21. It would be nice to have an acceptance before I go up there, but I am taking this all as it comes. Hope to be hearing from you soon.

Hey SoCal, just sent you at PM.

For those of you who sent thank you notes to the interviewers, did you just send them to the admissions office?

Hi all,

I'm back. After my interview, I took a trip up to SF. Anyways, I'm still waiting for the (good) news to arrive. Anyone that was interviewed last week hear anything, yet?

Hey, what's up Melancholy? I was just wondering if you used SDN before going to COMP and if you actually met fellow SDNers when you got there?

As for the thank you notes, I just sent one to the admissions office. Should I send them to the individual interviewers as well?

Hello,
No word yet from COMP, its been almost 2 weeks since I interviewed...if they reviewed our apps Wednesday I assume we'll hear either today or tomorrow? I sent Thank-yous to each interviewer c/o the Office of Admissions, though I'm not sure what the schools policy is with Thank-yous...like if they actually give it to the interviewers or if they just file all of them with the rest of our apps.

Anyway-hopefully we'll all have good news to report in the next couple of days! Good luck!

I also sent thank yous to the individual two dr's. Ann Kock...the lady in the front when you walk in, said that if there name is on it, they will get it. good luck everyone.

I had my interview yesterday. I wanted to give some info for those of you who are getting ready to be interviewed. I was interviewed by two faculty members and a D.O. Overall, it was a very relaxed environment, although I definitely suggest you to be well-prepared. I had to talk about ethical issues couple of times. I was in the afternoon session and we met up with the morning interviewees at 10:30 and then went through an orientation session. Then a med student gave us a tour and answered a bunch of questions. My interview lasted for 40 minutes. As everyone else has posted before, we are supposed to hear back in about 2 weeks. I believe that the admissions committee meets every Wed.
Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone!