Community surgical residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You shall know the Truth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that good community residency programs are very beneficial when pursuing private practice. Can someone help qualify what a good community residency program means. What things make a program good?

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that good community residency programs are very beneficial when pursuing private practice. Can someone help qualify what a good community residency program means. What things make a program good?

I think broadly speaking it refers to programs where you have high volume of the bread and butter cases so when you graduate you'll be able to crank through appys gallbladders etc extremely fast and be highly productive. You wont see as much of the advanced subspecialty stuff that you arent going to touch anyway as a community guy.

Reactions: 1 user
I think broadly speaking it refers to programs where you have high volume of the bread and butter cases so when you graduate you'll be able to crank through appys gallbladders etc extremely fast and be highly productive. You wont see as much of the advanced subspecialty stuff that you arent going to touch anyway as a community guy.
Thank you, would rural programs that allow you to rotate through sub specialties be of benefit?

Members don't see this ad :)

This, as well as lack of fellows. Access to other subspecialty cases can be a plus. At my residency, we could spent time with the head and neck surgeon doing thyroids, parathyroids, neck dissections etc. Same with plastics, urology (nephrectomy).

I think a good combination is primarily your community program, with maybe some aways at the university. Keep in mind, this won't work for everyone but should be good if private practice is your goal.

Reactions: 2 users
This, as well as lack of fellows. Access to other subspecialty cases can be a plus. At my residency, we could spent time with the head and neck surgeon doing thyroids, parathyroids, neck dissections etc. Same with plastics, urology (nephrectomy).

I think a good combination is primarily your community program, with maybe some aways at the university. Keep in mind, this won't work for everyone but should be good if private practice is your goal.
I was all set to say that is what I liked about my program too then noticed who was posting. Having so many attendings of various specialties to work with helped even if it is stuff I don't necessarily do now. And all the operative trauma (which is probably not typical for community programs) really helps me feel comfortable with anything that comes in as an emergency especially stuff where I get to pretend I am a different specialty or subspecialty because they don't take call.

I got one piece of advice from an attending that I thought was crazy but found to be spot on. Being fast at something makes all the techs, nurses , and anesthesia folks think you are great at it and word will spread so you end up with lots of referrals (or people referring themselves) from that. I proctored some folks who came from academic places and they were proficient and safe but not very fast. One in particular still is considered not as good even though they are completely competent and faster now that they have more practice. So wherever you can get lots of practice in things you will actually be doing is good.

Reactions: 1 users
I was all set to say that is what I liked about my program too then noticed who was posting. Having so many attendings of various specialties to work with helped even if it is stuff I don't necessarily do now. And all the operative trauma (which is probably not typical for community programs) really helps me feel comfortable with anything that comes in as an emergency especially stuff where I get to pretend I am a different specialty or subspecialty because they don't take call.

I got one piece of advice from an attending that I thought was crazy but found to be spot on. Being fast at something makes all the techs, nurses , and anesthesia folks think you are great at it and word will spread so you end up with lots of referrals (or people referring themselves) from that. I proctored some folks who came from academic places and they were proficient and safe but not very fast. One in particular still is considered not as good even though they are completely competent and faster now that they have more practice. So wherever you can get lots of practice in things you will actually be doing is good.
Thank you

Thank you

sadly, all good things must come to an end