Community Service/Clinical Hours Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi all,

I am applying to dental school in the summer, and I had a question regarding community service hours.

I volunteer in a dental clinic, and I have probably accumulated over 100 hours. The clinic serves underprivileged minorities.

Also, I tutored underprivileged children at a non-profit for an entire semester (around 50 hours).

I really enjoyed working in both settings, however, I don't have as much free time in my schedule as I used to. I work two jobs to support myself (family's not well-off), and I am the president of a club that is rebuilding. The organization has charity events if those count for community service?

On top of that, I am taking 17 units with two labs (Physics, Biochem II, Molecular Genetics, Medicinal Chemistry, and a class for my minor). I have a solid GPA (3.9+) and DAT score (21 AA/22 PAT), but I feel that my community service might be lacking.

I do a lot of ECs within my school, and I don't drive. So, I can't really get around to do more in the community.

I'm hoping to attend UCSF, and I know they stress community service. Am I okay?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your responses! Also, when I fill out the AADSAS application, does volunteering the dental clinic count as only dental experience, or could I count it towards community service, as well?