Community Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michigan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided to do 2 away rotations. One at a major university program (Univ. of Wisconsin) and one at a community program. I think I have a shot at getting a community program in the 2004 match. Eventually I want to practice in a semi-rural type physician shortage area and do general anes. (there are huge needs in some areas). I've narrowed my choices down to the following places to do an elective clerkship at, any advice on these places for a rotation?:

Maine Med Center
St. Elizabeth's Boston
Baystate Boston
Advocate Illinois Masonic
Cook County
Virgina Mason Seattle

I am reallly torn on Henry Ford in Detroit. They didn't fill in the match, have a great hospital and all, but I just plain old don't like D-town. But if it meant getting a residency over not...then sure I can do it for 4 years.

Thanks all,
michigan

Members don't see this ad.

I will comment upon the programs that I have direct experience with & avoid perpetuating any "hear say" stories.

Maine Med - Portland, ME is totally awesome as is the rest of Maine & New England for that matter. Were you to have told me that you were bound for a university/academic type of career, I would say that you could find better options. However, for what you have expressed an interest in, I think Maine Med would be superb! The faculty, residents & staff were all happy, friendly and open about the orientation of program - which real-world practice that you find in community-based medical centers.

Baystate Med - on paper, they appear to be awesome...in person, I was severely disappointed. I invested a wekk of vacation time & money out of my pocket to make a few program visits at place I felt were to be in my top choices...Baystate being one of them. Even though I had scheduled this visitation day well in advance, when I arrived, no one remembered that I was coming & I spent a large amount of my day chatting with the progam secretary (who was very nice), while the PD made time to talk & they struggled to find a resident to take me on a tour. The tour of their facilities was unimpressive and my meeting with the PD was as well. I am not saying that this is a bad program, just that my impressions/experiences with Baystate was far from positive.

I hope that this information proves helpful.

Originally posted by michigan

Cook County

All I can say about cook county is that the gas docs wear PINK scrubs.. how the hell are you supposed to get laid wearing PINK scrubs?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
oldmandave, thanks a lot for the views on those 2 programs. I am shooting for an away rotation in Maine now! Sounds like a good program that will get me where I want to go as a career, not to mention a great area. Thanks again,
Michigan