Community Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

No one seems interested in community programs. If your not interested in doing academics or research - are community program good enough? Any thoughts? Thanks.

M-

Members don't see this ad.

if you don't want to teach or do research, it doesn't matter.
BUT! you will definitely want to know if the residents have trouble passing the boards. the abpn exam has only a 60% pass rate (or osmething like that--correct me if I'm wrong) and i think good training can go a long way in terms of passing the boards.
ive talked to one resident from a community program whose friend trained at an academic place and she said that she felt that she was scutted much more and did a lot more self-directed learning than her friend and consequently, she felt that studying for the boards was much harder for her. i really don't know what to make of that. there are some really excellent community programs out there. in the midwest, i know lutheran general in il is very well respected (again, know someone applying there).

hope this helps! good luck!