Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris609

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I just started my second year at a community college full time and also I'm going to E.M.T. school. What I was wondering is if going to community college will decrease my chance's on interview for med. school.Should I try transfering to another school.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you will have to transfer to a 4 year program eventually.

If you do well after you transfer, you should have no problems whatsoever.

There are several threads dedicated to this subject. So a search for Community Colleges.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you take advanced science once you get to a four year institution and continue to excel. If you take all your prereqs at a CC and take no more science once you get to a four year institution, you will impress no man.
Coops

I had the same concerns. I attended a CC for two years and took almost all of my gen ed there, but none of my required science courses. I also took an EMT course during my freshman year and have worked part time as an EMT since then. After my second year of CC and my first year of EMS work, I decided that I wanted to pursue medicine and transfered to a 4 year college. The main thing is to not let your grades drop when you transfer to the four year college. Otherwise, you will be fine. Even with all of my CC coursework fears, I was accepted to both of my state schools and Emory. I was also invited to interview at Vandy (waitlisted), Mayo (waiting post-interview), and Duke (interviewing in Feb). Hope this helps to calm your nerves, and good luck!
SteveLight

Did more than half my work at a CC. I've got some choices among top tier schools. Don't worry about it. Get a great MCAT score and follow your dreams. They'll get you there.

although i never went to community college I am taking a few courses there right now and I have to say that you may be at an advantage taking your general sci classes at a CC. I took biochem at my local community college and am now taking anatomy and the teachers there teach so much better than at my University because they actually care about teaching. So I think you may be getting a more solid foundation at a CC than at a 4 year college where each genereal sci class has about 200 people at least.

but to get into a top med school you def still have to transfer to a 4 year. i hope this helps.

Washington University offers a 2+2 program with community colleges (Esp StL CC).

You do your first 2 years at a community college then transfer to WashU. You can apply for the full time morning program (that many people can't afford) but most people go for the WashU UCollege program. It's the evening school of WashU and the cost of tuition full time is about 10k a year. There have been tons of people who finished a BS in Biology or Economics there and have gained admission to great medical schools.

Something you may want to look into.