Community College question

Beatlesfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a high school senior and due to financial reasons I may attend a local CC after high school. My local CC has transfer programs with UCs and I plan to do the honors transfer program and hopefully transfer to UCLA or UC San Diego. My question is it possible for me to get into med school if I attend a CC? and what kinds of classes do you guys recommend I take during my years in CC and a university?

Thanks much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, i'm a high school senior and due to financial reasons I may attend a local CC after high school. My local CC has transfer programs with UCs and I plan to do the honors transfer program and hopefully transfer to UCLA or UC San Diego. My question is it possible for me to get into med school if I attend a CC? and what kinds of classes do you guys recommend I take during my years in CC and a university?

Thanks much in advance

Like kmsi said, going to a CC won't hold you back from med. school. As for what classes to take at the CC, you should take your general education requirements there (English, math, etc.), and save the sciences for the university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would HIGHLY recommend to take at least starting Biology for Bio Majors and General chemistry, otherwise you will be backloading your last two years with OChem, Gchem, Physics, AND all of your upper division labs and other classes.

The rule of thumb that I suggest to most people is to visit the school you want to transfer to and find out what Bio (if you're a bio major) majors will be taking during their first two years.

UPDATE: Just looked at the transfer requirements into Bio for UCLA, they REQUIRE you to have completed a year of Bio Majors Intro to Bio, calc, Gchem, and Ochem, before you can even transfer - so that goes in line with exactly what I was saying in the previous paragraph.

http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_tr/tradms.htm
Bio Transfer Info: http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_tr/lsmajors/life_sci.htm

I go to UCI (Go Go Anteaters!) and I did a program called TAG (Transfer Admissions Guarantee), and it let me get into the Bio program with really no stress. The only requirement for bio is that you complete your year of Gchem and get atleast B's in both classes - and that you pass Bio Majors Intro to Bio with C's.

http://www.admissions.uci.edu/admissions_info/transfer_admission/tag.html

UCSD has a similar program, but it doesn't guarantee you a spot in the Program you want to go to, but still something to look at:

http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/transfer/tag.html

Also, at the community college you can word towards something called the IGETC - Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum - which is a list of classes from which you take 34 units, and once certified, any school that participates in the program (Every UC, CSU, and nearly every other 4 year University in CA, and also in other states too), you are guaranteed to not need to take any more general ed classes - and if you transfer without the IGETC it is very possible that they will require you to take additional GE on top of the GE you've already taken - so be sure that when you start taking GE classes, they're only off the IGETC list for your school (found in either the class schedule or the College Catalog.

I REALLY enjoyed my time at the CC (Go Go Cypress Chargers!), and I thought that a number of my CC professors were significantly better than those at the UC, specifically because the professors at the CC are TEACHERS, and the professors at the UC are for the most part RESEARCHERS. Not to say that there are no good professors at the UC, because there definitely are. Also, don't expect the CC to be easy - as far as Science classes go - GE classes are always a cakewalk at most any school. I found that for most of my Science classes, this is how the grade breakdown worked since it's not curved - A: Difficult to do, but VERY doable if you put the work in, B: VERY doable, requires much less work than A, C: It's just about a certainty to get at least a C if you make an honest effort, D-F : You could have tried harder.

What CC are you thinking about going to?

Below is a very telling chart of how many people at the UC system are transfer students, trust me, you're not alone, and it will not hinder your desire to go into a health profession. I hope this post has been very helpful! Good Luck!

UC Undergraduate Enrollment
Fall 2007

Campus | Overall | Transfer | Percentage of Transfer Students
Berkeley 24,636 | 5,231 | 21.2%
Davis 23,604 | 4,455 | 18.9 %
Irvine 21,854 | 4,095 | 18.7 %
Los Angeles 25,928 | 7,831 | 30.2 %
Merced 1,750| 272| 15.5 %
Riverside 15,041 | 2,201 | 14.6 %
San Diego 22,048 |4,998 | 22.7%
Santa Barbara 18,429 |3,388 | 18.4%
Santa Cruz 14,403 | 2,215 |15.4%

thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

VCviper, I plan on attending El Camino College and the honors program there includes TAP for UCLA which is sort of like the TAG program but not completely guaranteeing admission. I have also been considering the TAG program for UCSD and UCI for quite sometime and I think your post gave me some reassurance.

Thanks again for all the help.

I transferred from Orange Coast College to UCSD. All I have to say my science education at OCC prepared me WELL for UCSD. I got a job working in a research Job right away, because I had more lab skills than most students at UCSD.

And for applying to Med school, Try to take as much upper division class (i.e. O-chem, genetics, mol bio... etc) at the UC as you can. It does make a difference.

ALSO look into the TAG programs for the local UC's. If you meet requirements, you are guaranteed admissions. Good Luck!