This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

?? is 27 TOO OLD to begin medical school ??

• hell no

Votes: 192 62.1%
  • no

Votes: 75 24.3%
  • maybe

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • yes

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • hell yes

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • valar morghulis

Votes: 30 9.7%
  • just do it

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • conquer your fear

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • you will regret it (I regret it)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • you can always leave

Votes: 5 1.6%

• Total voters
Hi!

I have some data for you:

ACADEMIC

Pre-med in undergrad, Psych degree (2009-2013) <- calling schools and checking whether pre-reqs expire

3.7 sci GPA, 3.8 non-sci GPA

I am taking the MCAT in August (took the old version in 2014 and received 29~ 8 PS, 10 BS, 11 V)
If I get a competitive MCAT score, I will apply in 2017.

PERSONAL

single female
no kids
no debts

I haven't applied yet because of fear/self-doubt/poor work ethic for the 2014 MCAT. I also live in NYC so I've been enjoying my post-graduate life a little too much.

Alas, I decided it's time to grow up and advance my career. I will take the MCAT this summer and I will decide whether I have what it takes to purse a career in medicine [514+ or go home].

I would appreciate some quick input about my age (I am currently 25). I know age is just a number but I am a realistic optimist who likes to consider various factors.

Some of my worries:
~At 27, I won't have the same mental quickness as someone who is 24 (average age of matriculant).
~I won't have the physical stamina.
~I will be a pregnant resident (31-34/35) if I choose to have kids.

I am using a relatively rigorous MCAT cut off in order to critically gauge my capabilities. Also, despite doubts about my age, I am 100% committed to take the exam in August.

Please share your stories and/or take the poll!

Many thanks!

What do you mean by reduced "physical stamina"?

;)

Members don't see this ad.

I specifically wrote they both have pluses and minuses. however the overwhelming feeling I get from non-trads is a superiority complex.

That's not a feeling, that's a judgment about someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
You will be fine and I think medical schools will actually like you more because you are older.