Commissioning Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ifitfitsyourmolars

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any updates on when commissioning will be done this year? I'm moving to school in the beginning of May and my recruiter said they still haven't finished scrolls. If they don't finish by the time I move, would I be able to be commissioned at a base near my school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I commissioned in July at a base near my dental school. My recruiter contacted the base and arranged everything for me to be commissioned.

Waiting to be commissioned as well, does anybody know if it would be possible to attend ODS this July? If not, when would be a possible time to because my schools breaks are not long enough to attend training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting to be commissioned as well, does anybody know if it would be possible to attend ODS this July? If not, when would be a possible time to because my schools breaks are not long enough to attend training.
U go after graduating from dental school

you're not reading it right.

First, AVB2014 is correct in that since he's HSCP he's not an officer and can't go to ODS until he graduates and puts on O3.

Ideally yes the first training you do is ODS if you have time prior to dental school or during one of the breaks. But it's not mandatory.

The "travel claim" is not the request for ODS, it's the paperwork you do once you finish ODS or other annual training (or TAD/TDY) that you perform in order to get reimbursed for the costs. If you fail to do this you won't get paid back and it'll flag in the system which means you won't be able to separate from the reserves and go on active duty after graduation until it is cleared.

Reactions: 1 user
Thread Bump ... I received my HPSP Selection and Accession Bonus Approval Letter in Jan/Feb for the Class of 2022 from the Dept. of the Navy. As you probably know ... it states once an appointment is confirmed by the Office of the Secretary of Defense then the commissioning documents will be forwarded to the local Navy Recruiting District. The district personnel will then contact recipients for commissioning/formal acceptance.

My recruiter told me I haven't been commissioned yet because - they are waiting on the commissioning documents and will let me know when they arrive.

PS Good News - I was told the current monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 ½ months will increase to $2,279.10 this summer.

PPS Anyone know how many Army, Navy, Air Force Dental HPSP's are being awarded this year?

Last edited:
The reason that it takes so long for "the documents", otherwise known as "the scroll" has to go through the entire Service (Navy, Army, Air force) chain of command to the Secretary of Defense. This not only applies to the incoming HPSP students, but every officer joining the Armed Service(s). Add to that everyone who is graduating from the HPSP needs the same thing (scroll) for promotion to O-3. As well as every other promotion across the board both in and out of the medical departments. It's a numbers situation and there are a lot of numbers needing the scroll and only one office that can approve it.

PS Good News - I was told the current monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 ½ months will increase by about $50 to $2,279.10 this summer. The HPSP stipend has been $2,276.10 for a year now. HA at Sec Def has not published the increase for this July yet..

PPS Does anyone know how many Army, Navy, Air Force Dental HPSP's are being awarded this year? I know that you are new to this, but, as a matter of security it is never a good idea to publish on social media things of this sort. Can it really hurt if someone in a cave in Afghanistan knows how many students the Armed Services are paying to go to dental school. Maybe/probably not. But why give anyone, anywhere fuel for any type of propaganda? I'm not talking explicitly about an enemy of the state. There are plenty of disgruntled/anti military people from all walks of life who look for something to complain about.

Reactions: 2 users
Update - My recruiter contacted me on Monday May 21st and invited me to come in for commissioning on Thursday May 24th.

Because of my schedule, I requested an alternative date.

I will commission this Friday, June 1, at 11AM.

Anchors Aweigh!

Last edited: