Army Commission after the start of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SergeantBuzzKill

MS1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to commission 2-3 months into the first year of medical school and still receive a 4-year HPSP scholarship? How does the 1st semester tuition payment work in that situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really sure how it works in the Air Force or Navy. In the Army, we access students into HPSP after school start date a lot more than we would like to. This is a recruiting issue that is a topic for another conversation. The Army is able to separate stipend from the tuition and books. Meaning that if you commission after the school start date, the Army pays for the tuition that you would have received at the board date. The stipend cannot be started until you are officially in HPSP (boarded, scrolled, oathed, signed a contract. If you board in say, September, but started school started in August, the Army will pay for the entire first semester, but will not pay stipend until the date of the oath.

Yes, as long as you are selected before hand. I have had that happen before with one of my applicants who was selected in late July but didn't get all the paperwork done until September and pay didn't go through until almost November. I worked directly with the finance and admissions office to make sure they let him start school on time and no late payments were incurred. All tuition will be back paid directly to the school and every school has a signed HPSP agreement with the Army. Like @USArmyHPSP stated stipend will be paid on the day you signed your contract and not the 1st day of school.

I commissioned in August, a few weeks after school started. It was a delay in paperwork on the Army's side, and my school took my word that the Army was good for it. I imagine that it is not an uncommon occurrence, but your school will ultimately decide if they will let you start without guaranteed funds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user