COMLEX scores for DO derm???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saki0067

OMS IV
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you need a "good" score. But what is considered a good score? Will 600s on COMLEX get me into derm?
I understand that I need research, good letters and audition rotations and I'm working on all of that, but was wondering what is a "good" COMLEX score for DO Derm?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No real answer- I remember seeing 10+ apps per year that had >95th percentile on comlex AND usmle, including a few double 99th percentiles. I also know residents who have barely passed comlex 1 and 2. The DO dem community is so small that simply sending a paper application without having personally met the faculty (i.e. rotated there) will likely be unsuccessfull regardless of stats.

Is sumbitting my USMLE going to do any good for the DO Derm? I wasn't planning on submitting my USMLE scores to the DO programs as I did not think they would care for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. What did they say when you rotated there and asked the residents/faculty/program director? Have you joined the AOCD and attended meetings?, etc.

I'm just now setting up rotations so I haven't rotated at a derm residency site yet. My school had a hospital day today and I spoke with several directors who seemed to think that 600s was going to get me in, but it didn't cross my mind to ask them about submitting my USMLE scores for the DO Derm.

I'm in the process of applying to traditional rotating internship right now and will be applying to Derm next year. I plan to join the AOCD starting this upcoming year since their first meeting isn't until the end of January so there is nothing going on until then and memberships start on the first of the year

1) you can join the AOCD as a medical student
2) there are 2 meetings annually; the largest one is in conjunction with the annual AOA meeting which is in about 5 weeks from now
3) the smaller mid-year meeting is usually in march and is AOCD specific
the AOCD.org website has all of this information and more. there is also a page "i am a resident/student who wants to get into derm, what now?"
that will answer a lot of your questions

Is sumbitting my USMLE going to do any good for the DO Derm? I wasn't planning on submitting my USMLE scores to the DO programs as I did not think they would care for it.

Why do people ask silly questions like this?

You're applying to OSTEOPATHIC derm so they want COMLEX only.

Why would you send an allopathic exam's score to osteopathic programs?

Common sense man!

I agree. That is what I thought until someone made the comment to me about submitting the USMLE....

"Why do people ask silly questions like this?

You're applying to OSTEOPATHIC derm so they want COMLEX only.

Why would you send an allopathic exam's score to osteopathic programs?

Common sense man!"

Two of my pals applied radiology (not derm) last year -- osteo and allo. Both did extremely well on USMLE (99) and did well, but not as well on COMLEX due to the weird two digit system believe they scored in the lower 600s (like low-mid 90s). The faculty interviewing them commented on their USMLE scores being 99 at Osteo programs during their interview trail.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user