COMLEX Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molly Maquire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have two quick questions about the COMLEX scoring.

When you get your score report, does it disclose both the number of questons answered correctly as well as your percentile?

In the past, how many correct answers were necessary to score in the 90th percentile?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

The italicized text is transcribed from my COMLEX Level 1 score report:

STANDARD SCORE: The standard score is derived from the number of items answered correctly in the entire examination. The score scale is defined to have a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of xx. Most examinees receive a score between 200 and 800. The standard error of measurement for the standard score is within the range of 15 to 20 points.

PERCENTILE: The percentile reports the percentage of reference group examinees with standard scores on the Level 2 that are equal or lower than yours. This reference group is made up of examinees who take the first administration of the Level 2 for the first time in the current year.

The NBOME does not reveal the "raw" score; i.e. the number of questions the answered correctly. The grade is based on a curve and is dependent on your performance relative to the other exam takers.

The general consensus among students is that you need about 50% of the questions correct to get a 400, the minimum passing score, though I've never seen this officially validated anywhere. For getting a 90%, I have no idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can give you this information. For the June 2001 COMLEX I, a score of 629 was 95th percentile. Keep in mind that is a standardized score, not a raw score. There were close to 800 questions on that test, but many of the questions do not count toward the final result. Some are thrown out for technical reasons, others were never meant to be graded (ie. some are there as a guide in making future tests). So it is not a matter of saying someone made a 629 out of 800.

My guess is that if you are scoring 75% or better on practice exams, you are probably in reach of the 90th percentile. Maybe the NBOME can give you more precise guidelines.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the test.