Comlex PE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I did not see a thread for this so, thought I would start one. I have it in a few days. I know most of you are done taking it so, hopefully there are still a bunch of us still waiting to take it.

Members don't see this ad.

You used to be able to start the note whenever you wanted, but based on that tutorial video it seems like you'll always have 9 minutes. Anyone know if you'll have more if you start early?

you can start as soon as you are ready. you have 9 minutes minimum to write the note, but if you finish your h&p early you can leave and start the note asap. they give you 1 piece of scrap paper and 1 blank soap note before entering the room so if you prefer you can take your history directly on your soap note but I wouldn't recommend that unless you are a reallllly slow writer as it would most likely lead to confusion and a very sloppy note.

I wonder with the new electronic notes that started in July, if the scores will be released even earlier than what is stated on the website? I'm sure it's just wishful thinking...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder with the new electronic notes that started in July, if the scores will be released even earlier than what is stated on the website? I'm sure it's just wishful thinking...

Doubtful considering they still have to read the notes and the only thing that will have changed will be the legibility of said notes.

Hey, for you guys that took the electronic note version, do we get to add extra time to the SOAP part if we finish the H&P early or did they take that privilege away with the esoap note? Good luck to everyone testing. I think I've overprepared for this test simply because I don't want to spend $1500, spend 2 days away from home, trip to philly ever again! ugh Hoping we all get that pass! :)

Hey, for you guys that took the electronic note version, do we get to add extra time to the SOAP part if we finish the H&P early or did they take that privilege away with the esoap note? Good luck to everyone testing. I think I've overprepared for this test simply because I don't want to spend $1500, spend 2 days away from home, trip to philly ever again! ugh Hoping we all get that pass! :)
Yes, you do. Which was very helpful for me. One time that I had to take entire 14 minutes, i actually did not have time to write the whole note, which was very scary. I basically ran out of each room just so that I would have time to type up the note. Hope I passed.

Just got my notice of passing for my 6/10 exam. Glad that's over.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know the latest updated scores? It says on the website that the scores are updated through 6/30, but that is many more than 10 weeks. I took the test in September, any idea when I may get my score?

Anyone know the latest updated scores? It says on the website that the scores are updated through 6/30, but that is many more than 10 weeks. I took the test in September, any idea when I may get my score?

Scores through 8/30 are out. Whoever is supposed to update that date hasn't. Stick with the date range it has listed on that page it held true for July and August

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the eSOAP note like? I checked out the NBOME site, but I would like to know if the input is keyboard and mouse, touchscreen or some combination of those?

just took my PE and have a concern... im not sure what possessed me to do so but I put that i discussed during the actual encounter about smoking cessation for a few patients and also discussed plan and treatment with patient but did not put it into the plan since i guess at the time my mentality was well I just did this so it sounded silly to me to write will discuss plan... in the plan section... so am i screwed or...

I'm planning on taking COMLEX PE soon. Anybody thinks that Kauffman Videos are helpful and how long did it take to go thru them? Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on taking COMLEX PE soon. Anybody thinks that Kauffman Videos are helpful and how long did it take to go thru them? Thanks in advance.

It took roughly three or four days to get through them since I watched them rapidly before my exam. I thought they were helpful because I learn better through visualization than reading. They are somewhat pricey, but are worth it, in my opinion, if you've used video study methods in the past with success.

It took roughly three or four days to get through them since I watched them rapidly before my exam. I thought they were helpful because I learn better through visualization than reading. They are somewhat pricey, but are worth it, in my opinion, if you've used video study methods in the past with success.

Thank You. That's what I needed to know. I do prefer visual reading..

just took my PE and have a concern... im not sure what possessed me to do so but I put that i discussed during the actual encounter about smoking cessation for a few patients and also discussed plan and treatment with patient but did not put it into the plan since i guess at the time my mentality was well I just did this so it sounded silly to me to write will discuss plan... in the plan section... so am i screwed or...
So, how did it go? Any word yet?

Follow ups to all of these "OMG, I failed" posts are a necessity for those of us on our way to Conshohocken!

I took my test two weeks ago but I am starting to get concerned about how I did. On one of my patients I was not able to finish my note and did not get to document an complete assessment/plan. I also realized I did not order labs for many of my patients only like 2 or 3 pts. I included f/u with all of my patients and most included some type of imaging. I was wondering if anyone knows how the SOAP is graded. My subjective parts were very good but may have lacked a little in the assessment/plan. Is it rare for people to fail the SOAP note part of the test?

Bump, anyone have any experience with this? My last assessment/plan was just awful. It was just prediagnosed issues. how bad is this if my rest of this note and other notes are decent?

I did not necessarily personally experience what you're describing; however, nearly everyone that takes the exam feels as if they did not pass. The vast majority end up passing.

I'm scheduled for July 6th for the PE. I need to trade for a different date in July. Any takers please message me. Thanks!

So to people that passed...what's your advice on how to prepare for it? Should I get the COMBANK PE videos? and COMLEX Level 2 PE review guide by Kauffman?

So to people that passed...what's your advice on how to prepare for it? Should I get the COMBANK PE videos? and COMLEX Level 2 PE review guide by Kauffman?

I would recommend the PE videos, PE Review Guide, and First Aid for the Step 2 CS.

Thank you for your input...I already bought those books and will get the videos as I've been hearing great things about them!

I would add the tips in the Kaufman book regarding how to be humanistic is gold. If you only read one thing from the Kaufman book, read that section.

I felt the USMLE Step 2 CS book had better cases than the Kaufman book and was also better in developing differential diagnoses quickly, although the Kaufman book also reminds you to rx treatments (which I believe USMLE Step 2 CS only has you write labs/orders but not medications).

Well, hopefully results will be in soon (this week or next). Be sure to follow up with how you did folks. I plan on a quick write-up when the time comes. That said, like most of you, I left the exam scratching my head wondering WTF just happened. It FLEW by. Everything seemed to be happening rapid fire. That night (after taking the night session) I actually felt half-way decent about the day. Thought I hit the humanistics well, performed what I thought were adequate physical exams on all of the patients, finished all of my notes and did an ok job doing so.

But with each passing day... random misses popped into my mind. Missed differentials. Labs not ordered. Possible errors in OMM documentation. Areas of the exam I skipped over than I should've homed in on. The annoying SP who kept making this really obviously horribly acted cough who I never said "oh, are you ok" or whatever to. The time I had to look back at the card and see if I was in a FM clinic or the ER and had to change up my flow. Not going through CAGE with an obvious alcoholic (but did ask other questions and tried to counsel). It kept going... and I'm thinking... "CRAP... what if I did fail?!? I keep hearing about these students who fail and still don't know why they did!"

So, here I am. Waiting. A bit worried. Guess we'll see what's up soon, eh?

OK, funny story (well funny now, but not funny then)... I basically got no sleep the night before and felt like a zombie for the whole day. I felt an impending sense of doom (ok maybe slight exaggeration) as I sat in the orientation room, knowing full well it was going to be 12 cases of me running on autopilot. Was absolutely sure I Failed, made tons of stupid mistakes... and I passed. So I'm sure most of you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump, anyone have any experience with this? My last assessment/plan was just awful. It was just prediagnosed issues. how bad is this if my rest of this note and other notes are decent?
Report back when you get results! I'm kind of in a similar boat as you.

Hoping to get scores back today. It looks like there are some dates open in the near future now for possible retakes. can other people who took the exam in April see these open dates as well??

Last edited:
Hoping to get scores back today. It looks like there are some dates open in the near future now for possible retakes. can other people who took the exam in April see these open dates as well??
I see a few afternoon sessions open mid-June (green blocks). Here's to hoping that's not an indication of a big fat F.

anyone have an update on when we will be getting the scores? I know the range is from june 1-10 but i can't imagine they are still grading them. they just have to click a button to send them out already
No idea. Last round they had them back at the very beginning of the time frame but doesn't look like that's the case this time. It's relatively late in the day for an update at this point. So I guess next week it is... well, hopefully next week.

Where did you all stay when you went to PHL? I've read the hotel close by is noisy. Any other hotels or options that are not too far as we have to be there by 7:30am.

Where did you all stay when you went to PHL? I've read the hotel close by is noisy. Any other hotels or options that are not too far as we have to be there by 7:30am.
Stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn, which is the one right around the way. I thought it was great.

I've heard there's a rail track and you hear it rumble and blows its horn next to the hotel and couldn't sleep. Any others had this experience?