COMLEX PE II - Next week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally going to get this thing over with.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My plan...

Go there with my coat, stethoscope and common sense.

Will that work?

Members don't see this ad.

I won't give you any of the cases I had, but I'll give a few generic pointers. As pointed out, you sign an agreement not to discuss the cases.

1) for the most part, those who want OMT flat out say so or something to that effect.
2) read the PE guide on the NBOME site,
3) you may watch the video they talk about on their website, but the one they have you watch prior to the test is very, very similar.
4) write fast. While their directions are ambiguous at best for the SOAP notes (make them stand on their own) it was a challenge to write an all encompassing note in the 9 minutes they gave. I could dictate the full note, but writing it and making it legible with my handwriting was difficult.
5) refer to #2, they want a soap note, but they also want a differential dx.
6) read the info in the chart closely before going in, just in case the pt asks you about some test results.
7) wash your hands in each room.
8) before you leave the room, ask the pt if they have any other questions or concerns.
9) don't mutter under your breath what a complete waste of your time and money this test is while in the room, I hear the mics are uber sensitive.
10) have someone great you at the door at 1515 hours with a beer and a cheese-steak (preferably not with Cheeze Whiz)
11) don't get lost on the way home and wind up in Jersey, :smuggrin:

another thread with some good links/suggestions

Thanks for the responses.

PCOM tells us that the OSCE we go through is very similar and I did well on that.

Some of my weaknesses, as described by the standardized patients were my apparent lack of knowledge regarding osteopathic principles and OMT.

That one made me laugh considering I am a 5th year OMM Fellow. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my weaknesses, as described by the standardized patients were my apparent lack of knowledge regarding osteopathic principles and OMT.

That one made me laugh considering I am a 5th year OMM Fellow. :laugh:

I don't think we can win on that one. We can have all of the basics down great & then they throw in other goofy stuff. I've consistently been an OMM proponent (tutored, have used OMM on a wide variety of rotations), but the NBOME and a couple of OMM guru-types have done a really good job of turning me off of much of OMM/OPP.

The amount of writing you have to do is the worst part.

If you are staying at the Residence Inn, tell them you want a room away from the train track or you will be up all night.

Thanks for the tip.

I am at PCOM so it will be a local ride. ;)