COMLEX PE - Failed!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc825

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any kind souls that wish to speak about their experience at the COMLEX-PE? I have no idea what the hell is wrong with this test. I guess I wasn't osteopathic enough for them and so I got a failing grade. I feel that I did everything by the book, literally. I memorized the First Aid: USMLE 2 CS just because I was terrified about this exam and yet I still failed. This test is so bogus but they have you by the ba***. If you don't take it you can't graduate. And spare you if you try to speak with them. I spoke with this lady at the center and she lost her mind and called me unprofessional and rude and hang the phone up. So the moral, be as osteopathic as you can on every patient get a structural exam and some OMT and don't you dare question the ever wise NBOME cause they will put a letter of reprimand on your record.:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Finally found the info from the NBOME: you do have to have passed step 1, step 2 CE, and step 2 PE in order to be able to take COMLEX step 3.

And, again, you have to pass all four of the steps of either COMLEX or USMLE in order to be able to be licensed to practice.
Thanks for the useful info DrMom. Yup, the reTake is a must. Gotta pass step 3 and gotta pass PE to take step 3. So another grand off to nbome for me. Thanks for your help!

soing is probley only launguage these people will understand. so , its not extrem. Standing for your right is not extreme, wethere, this require seuing, so be it. but i be damn if i let anyone of these people cheat my out of my futures and hard works , because they want to make more money from us. they already sucked us dried with high tuition and BS exams and etc.

I withold my comment as I feel most people know what I am thinking.

It seem like lots of people are decived by the schools as that , the graduating requirnment are the same as licensing requirnment. thats absoulty is not the case. you don't have to pass all these test to get your degree as i have stated in section 5.4.1 of AOA - acredition procedure and standards. also you don't need to pass these test either to get a residency . because in AOA- post doctral training and residency . there is no need to pass COMLEX II CE and PE. furthermore each states has different requirnment for licensing. most of them accept a combanation of test. you can take USMLE, FLEX, NBME, and etc. so for all of you who are so naive and decived by the school to led to believe you need all these test to graduate or do a residency wake up and get your head out of the sand box. after graduation and residency you have years to take any of the above mantioned tests. again you don"t need COMLEX II ce and PE to practice. so stap being naive and find the facts for yourself , not what the schools or NBOME tells you.

Ok, you have GOT to quit trying to fight the system on this. The PE is a MUST. Unless you have a way of getting the AOA to decide that the PE is no longer needed, you're going to have to complete AND pass the PE. As Dr. Mom said, state licensure is not possible without the full gammut of exams. Today, in 2006, we're $hit outta luck getting around the PE. I will concede that some schools at this point do not require the passage of PE (because according to Section 5.4.1, they don't HAVE to until the 2004-2005 matriculating class takes it. HOWEVER, my school for example requires us to not only take the PE, but also pass it in order to graduate. But forget about what the school requires. You're hopefully not attending & finishing med school just to have 2 letters after your name... if you wanna practice ya gotta pass the PE. Or else you COULD keep complaining for a few more years about the damn test until someone finally decides to change it. Too bad for you--you COULD have simply sucked it up and taken the damn test again and been finished with residency by then, never to have to take the PE again.

It's, of course, your choice though.

Members don't see this ad :)
also you don't need to pass these test either to get a residency . because in AOA- post doctral training and residency . there is no need to pass COMLEX II CE and PE.

I wanna say SOOOO much to you're posting that I'm fighting to hold back, but I cannot ignore at least one more point as highlighted above...

This simply is not true... I won't call you naive as you have called everyone on this forum, but I will call you misguided... unless you are applying for residencies in only one states (not even sure which state that would be), you DO in fact have to get licensed eventually to even continue on as a resident. In all the programs I've interviewed at so far (in 7 different states), all of them require licensure by the end of PGY-2 (some by start of pgy-2)...sorry to burst your bubble with all these other tests you think you can take in lieu of the PE, but in order to become LICENSED, you MUST take the PE (as a D.O.).

I wanna say SOOOO much to you're posting that I'm fighting to hold back, but I cannot ignore at least one more point as highlighted above...

This simply is not true... I won't call you naive as you have called everyone on this forum, but I will call you misguided... unless you are applying for residencies in only one states (not even sure which state that would be), you DO in fact have to get licensed eventually to even continue on as a resident. In all the programs I've interviewed at so far (in 7 different states), all of them require licensure by the end of PGY-2 (some by start of pgy-2)...sorry to burst your bubble with all these other tests you think you can take in lieu of the PE, but in order to become LICENSED, you MUST take the PE (as a D.O.).

Agreed.

:thumbup:

doc24u simply does not have his facts correct.

Perhaps he is misinterpreting what he is reading.

Passing COMLEX-2 PE is required if you want to take COMLEX-3. You need to complete all 3 COMLEX series if you want to get a state license to practice medicine.

If you want to go the route of the USMLE (and not finish the COMLEX series) ... first, there are some states that will not grant you licensure if you don't take and finish the COMLEX series (California being one of them). Second, in order to take USMLE Step 3, you have to take and pass all previous USMLE Steps, including the USMLE 2CS exam.

"Such individuals must pass Step 2 CS as part of the examination requirements for Step 3 if they: (a) have medical school graduation dates in 2005 or later, or (b) graduated from medical school prior to 2005 but did not pass the CK component of Step 2 taken on or before June 30, 2005."
http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/2007/eligibility.htm

Also keep in mind many residency programs require you to pass Step 3 by a certain date (else they will not advance you)

As such, you have to take a standardize patient exam either way ... whether it is through USMLE/NBME or COMLEX/NBOME

jphazelton, i think i got my facts very clear, because iam looking on actual documents from AOA. it seems like it to me you are the one who is misguided and clueless. because the fact are that you don't need to pass these COMLEX II CE and PE in order to graduate unless you enter as class of 2004-2005 according to section 5.4.1 of AOA. accrediating standard and procedures. furthermore according to AOA- post graduate training you also are not required to have passed COMLEX II CE and PE. again, i suggest you to look and read those documents. i have my facts because iam looking at them , but you in other hand just talking without facts and evidence. i do have these facts.iam just simply trying to make people look and find the facts for themself, so they wont become victims of school and AOA< and NBOME politics and money making scam. again i have the facts and unlike you iam not naive and missguided but fully aware of the facts and the truth , which it seem like it you can"t handale the truth.

Both are right. No, don't need CE2 and PE2 to graduate or start post grad training. BUT need them to be licensed. We have to get a license, so have to pass.

jphazelton, i think i got my facts very clear, because iam looking on actual documents from AOA. it seems like it to me you are the one who is misguided and clueless. because the fact are that you don't need to pass these COMLEX II CE and PE in order to graduate unless you enter as class of 2004-2005 according to section 5.4.1 of AOA. accrediating standard and procedures. furthermore according to AOA- post graduate training you also are not required to have passed COMLEX II CE and PE. again, i suggest you to look and read those documents. i have my facts because iam looking at them , but you in other hand just talking without facts and evidence. i do have these facts.iam just simply trying to make people look and find the facts for themself, so they wont become victims of school and AOA< and NBOME politics and money making scam. again i have the facts and unlike you iam not naive and missguided but fully aware of the facts and the truth , which it seem like it you can"t handale the truth.

Sorry friend, you dont have all the facts.

Did I like paying $1,000 to take the PE exam? No. But I did it graciously because I know thats what is required of me to become a physician.

I would prefer that you didnt start with personal attacks.

I know a lot of lawyers that have just graduated that wouldn't mind getting into this. One of them successfully sued a major university over an exam. I will be taking legal action against these extortionists. Any help will be appreciated.

Number 1: Please take the time to attempt to learn to spell and polish your grammar. We are all fairly educated here and will tolerate the occasional mistake, but you appear drunk.

Number 2: Understand that you cannot get a medical license without taking Step III USMLE or Level III COMLEX.

Number 3: Understand that the requirement to even sit for the exams listed in (Number 2) is to have passed Section(s) I/II and the CS or PE.

The states have nothing to do with the licensure, except to say that you must pass Step III to get licensed. The boards determine how you get to Step III, and they are pretty clear about that.

So obviously you can graduate medical school, start (and even finish) residency without Step II/PE...and then work at Wal-Mart...NOT as a physician, either.

:D
Number 1: Please take the time to attempt to learn to spell and polish your grammar. We are all fairly educated here and will tolerate the occasional mistake, but you appear drunk.

Number 2: Understand that you cannot get a medical license without taking Step III USMLE or Level III COMLEX.

Number 3: Understand that the requirement to even sit for the exams listed in (Number 2) is to have passed Section(s) I/II and the CS or PE.

The states have nothing to do with the licensure, except to say that you must pass Step III to get licensed. The boards determine how you get to Step III, and they are pretty clear about that.

So obviously you can graduate medical school, start (and even finish) residency without Step II/PE...and then work at Wal-Mart...NOT as a physician, either.

Idiopathic--

I gotta hand it to ya for saying EXACTLY what EVERYONE on this damn thread has been thinking in the past few days (namely you're "Number 1"). I had to bite my tongue (fingers) not to type that comment, so I'm pleased to see you have spoken for us all! Cheers buddy! :thumbup:

Well, I am surprised to get somewhat of a breakdown from the NBOME for why I failed this exam. I did not realize that they sent this out. Anyway, I PASSED the Humanistic Domain, and FAILED the Biomedical/Biomechanical Domain. Apparently, my OMT was "POOR". This was the only "poor" rating that I received. All the other categories were rated as "needs improvement". I am a bit surprised about this. Even the Humanistic Domain that I passed says "needs improvement".

SO I think that the biggest culprit here is my OMT.
I DID NOT do OMT on all my patients. My basic OMT exam on every pt was a C,T,L spine exam seeing if I found misalignment and asking if there was any tenderness. NOT one of the pts said there was any tenderness. I still treated a couple of pts that denied pain and that truly did not have any dysfunction.

I did have 2 pts that directly complaint of musculoskeletal probs and I treated these directly, but everyone else had general probs that many did not need OMT for.

Anyway. Do you all have any advice? Did you do OMT on all? What was your OMT approach for each pt? Did you treat even if you did not find anything? I TRULY appreciate any help. I will be ready for this thing in April. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If OMT is the only thing you need to polish up a bit before retaking the exam, feel free to do what you want with my advice on this:

Don't treat the OMT as something you are reading out of a cook book... what I mean by this is don't use the CTL exam as though you are a 1st year medical student who barely has his/her feet wet in OMM. You are in the setting (for this exam) of a physician treating his/her patient, so get to the point with the OMT. If OMM even entered my mind in an encounter, I simply did it. What I didn't do was the same routine for every patient. A patient who has a tension headache may benefit from a suboccipital release, but would not benefit from a CTL exam. Just do the S.O.R. and call it done. Asthma? Go straight to rib-raising. This, of course, is one of many correct ways to execute the OMT. This is what I did and it worked favorably for me. If this is all you missed it by, you'll be fine! Best of luck in April.

Like the above poster (Doc Hef), I also failed this crazy exam. I received a "PASS" for Humanistic, but "FAIL" for Biomed/Biomech. My breakdown was "Needs Improvement" across the board. I did not receive a "Poor" in any area, but did not receive a "Proficient" in any area. So you have to get at least 1 or more "Proficient" performances to pass the exam. And as the Level 2 PE Report I received from the NBOME states:
"Needs Improvement performances may contribute to a final score of pass or fail."
Anyone know just how many "Proficient" marks constitute a PASS? Anyone fail that received at least 1 "Proficient" mark?

Thanks for the input...

I just took that crazy exam last week and I am not confident that I passed. I keep recalling things that I forgot to do like write down in my plan for a pt. to go to the ER. I verbalized it to the pt., but i don't think that counts. I am absolutely horrible in OMM; I only did soft tissue. I guess I have like 10 wks. to continue re-living this dreaded test. Oh, well.

Anybody have any suggestions for an effective (and cost effective) way to remediate the COMLEX PE in the New York City area? I'm a psychiatry resident, so I don't have much of a chance to hone my OMT skills on my patients. I called the NBOME, but they are about as helpful as tits on a boar. The clinical director of the testing center is equally unhelpful, and condescending to boot. I really didn't appreciate the implication that I chose to become a psychiatrist because I don't know how to examine a patient properly.

Did most of you do OMM only on patients that asked for it? I haven't taken the exam yet. But I heard that "it's obvious when someone wants/needs OMT". Should you try to make sure you're doing OMM on patients that you normally wouldn't do OMM on? Or simply do it on patients that make it obvious that they'd like OMM to be performed on them.

Did most of you do OMM only on patients that asked for it? I haven't taken the exam yet. But I heard that "it's obvious when someone wants/needs OMT". Should you try to make sure you're doing OMM on patients that you normally wouldn't do OMM on? Or simply do it on patients that make it obvious that they'd like OMM to be performed on them.

I performed OMM on 5 pts, 4 of whom asked for it directly, 1 who had chest pain and the story he gave sounded very atypical, so I treated an inspired rib, but most of my friends who've passed it only treated those who asked for it. I did,
however, do a structural exam on everyone.

I take the PE exam in Feb. Is the orientation and info on the web adequate. I feel fairly prepared, but some of my friends who I would think would not have a problem with the exam failed. I'm not really want to risk having to spend another grand on a test in Philly! If you guys have any other advice it would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Seeing as how I missed the mark on this test twice...What do you think is up? I mean I did 'poor' and needs improvment in the same exact sections (domains History taking and note writing)...It really hurts. I am not a good test taker but any advice would be welcome.
Oh yea, second question: How do you acess the online system? When I try, It goes to 'web page not found'

Thanks, lots:)

This is pretty sad that we have this nonsense to look forward to. Has anybody tried to post these experiences on the AOA President's blog? There is a blog he wrote on Jan 3 regarding this COMLEX-PE issue that you guys can express your concern on via comments. http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php

It does however say
The AOA has no authority to demand any changes but has commented to NBOME about the problems and possible soulutions expressed by students.

I realized that for OMT evaluation, I pretty much only did a quick scan exam of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions looking for tenderness/dysfunction. I'm now starting to wonder if I should of done more. Did anyone else do such a limited OMT exam and still pass. Basically did OMT on those that asked for it. My treatment was basically soft tissue. I'm starting to question whether a quick scanning exam of the back is enough without doing flex/ext or seated exam with bending, checking rib dysfunction,ect. Let me know if you passed doing a limited exam as well. I really can't imagine having enough time to do all the other things too.

I noticed on the video, that the lady doing the exam, only did a quick scan as well. I guess you always wish you could of done more.

I realized that for OMT evaluation, I pretty much only did a quick scan exam of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions looking for tenderness/dysfunction. I'm now starting to wonder if I should of done more. Did anyone else do such a limited OMT exam and still pass. Basically did OMT on those that asked for it. My treatment was basically soft tissue. I'm starting to question whether a quick scanning exam of the back is enough without doing flex/ext or seated exam with bending, checking rib dysfunction,ect. Let me know if you passed doing a limited exam as well. I really can't imagine having enough time to do all the other things too.
I did the same thing and unfortunately did not pass - although I lacked in other areas also. I have pretty much found that we need to do more of a focused exam - so if they complain of asthma - focus on ribs, etc. I guess try to mainly looks for things that would correlate with their cheif complaint. I also found that you should never do more than one technique - the grader may think you are trying to shotgun the treatment. So just do one - even if just soft tissue. Retake is in April, yippee. Good luck in Monday's Match!

I did the same thing and unfortunately did not pass - although I lacked in other areas also. I have pretty much found that we need to do more of a focused exam - so if they complain of asthma - focus on ribs, etc. I guess try to mainly looks for things that would correlate with their cheif complaint. I also found that you should never do more than one technique - the grader may think you are trying to shotgun the treatment. So just do one - even if just soft tissue. Retake is in April, yippee. Good luck in Monday's Match!

That is correct... focused exam/tx done correctly will get you a pass in the OMT area. It's what I did, and what everyone I've talked to who passed did. BEst of luck to everyone retaking and to all those participating in Monday's match.

Just got done retaking this beast. All I can say was that I was on my humanistic A-game. If they sneezed, i asked if they wanted a tissue. If they coughed, I offered a glass of water. If they ask a question, BE VAGUE. No absolute statements, but be reassuring. If they tell you about something sad, say "I'm sorry that happened." If they feel like crap, say "I'm sorry you're feeling that way. I'm glad that you're here." And as always, provide enough time at the end for a proper closure and summary of findings with brief explanations. And of course...ALWAYS WASH THE HANDS!!!!

I just went to the nbome.org website and went to contact us... sent the following email to the 3 correspondences that may apply (candidate services, mbonica and testing). If they get enough emails, I suppose they MIGHT consider a different approach

What I sent:

To NBOME:

I am a second year osteopathic medical student and have become extremely concerned with the feedback I've received from my colleagues who have taken the PE portion of the COMLEX. Several of my colleagues have stated they were not given ANY specific training guidelines or expectations from NBOME and that specific feedback was not given to those who failed - as to the exact reason (just the general section that was failed). Is there a plan to give students a book or any training and base our grading on the guidelines set in this book? I know several hospitals teach us to do different things (physical exams techniques, documentation, etc.) and it is quite unfair that we are graded by the NBOME without having a guideline of the NBOME's expectations for EACH possible patient presentation. Otherwise, it is just by luck on where you rotated - and whether their protocol follows the NBOME expectations. I can speak for the majority of students - who would even pay more for the exam, given we have a training manual to read and know exactly what is expected by the NBOME for each patient presentation - and ultimately practice medicine based on the NBOME expectations. This is not making the exam any easier, it is just a training to make sure ALL students are getting the correct education and practicing medicine by the NBOME expectations. Please let me know if this is something you are considering or would consider since it is a big concern from the undergraduate level up to students taking the COMLEX-PE.

Thank you,
xxxxxx

I just went to the nbome.org website and went to contact us... sent the following email to the 3 correspondences that may apply (candidate services, mbonica and testing). If they get enough emails, I suppose they MIGHT consider a different approach

What I sent:

To NBOME:

I am a second year osteopathic medical student and have become extremely concerned with the feedback I've received from my colleagues who have taken the PE portion of the COMLEX. Several of my colleagues have stated they were not given ANY specific training guidelines or expectations from NBOME and that specific feedback was not given to those who failed - as to the exact reason (just the general section that was failed). Is there a plan to give students a book or any training and base our grading on the guidelines set in this book? I know several hospitals teach us to do different things (physical exams techniques, documentation, etc.) and it is quite unfair that we are graded by the NBOME without having a guideline of the NBOME's expectations for EACH possible patient presentation. Otherwise, it is just by luck on where you rotated - and whether their protocol follows the NBOME expectations. I can speak for the majority of students - who would even pay more for the exam, given we have a training manual to read and know exactly what is expected by the NBOME for each patient presentation - and ultimately practice medicine based on the NBOME expectations. This is not making the exam any easier, it is just a training to make sure ALL students are getting the correct education and practicing medicine by the NBOME expectations. Please let me know if this is something you are considering or would consider since it is a big concern from the undergraduate level up to students taking the COMLEX-PE.

Thank you,
xxxxxx

Seriously? You are a 2nd year. Worry about Step 1. Then Step 2. The PE has about a 96% pass rate- that means one a day fails. Leave it alone- allopathic schools have the same bs. Just remember to "act" on your test day and you will be fine.

Seriously? You are a 2nd year. Worry about Step 1. Then Step 2. The PE has about a 96% pass rate- that means one a day fails. Leave it alone- allopathic schools have the same bs. Just remember to "act" on your test day and you will be fine.

True ... with a 96% pass rate, I guess there isn't that much to worry about afterall :thumbup:

I've got a good one for you...

I am a fifth year Osteopathic Fellow at my school. I took this test in December and found out 12 weeks later that I failed the Humanistic Domain which surprised me considering I work in our Fellows clinic weekly aside from rotations.

Like the rest of you my first thought was that there was no true explanation as to why I failed so I did what you probably did and called to see if either I could find out further information or pay for it to be re-evaluated like I have heard can be done for the written tests. In the course of the conversation, I was told this was not possible. I responded that I did not think that was a good enough answer and wanted to know who I could discuss this with above him. Apparently this was the wrong thing to say as he has contacted the dean of my school about the conversation. Needless to say, this is causing even more problems for me.

Also, upon going on to try to re-signup for this pathetic test on the other side of the country, it would not allow me to sign up for the one remaining date in April and the next date available that I could sign up for was May 14...3 days AFTER graduation. When I called to ask why April was listed as available but wouldn't allow me to grab it, I was told it is because they only allow so many people to remediate on one day and that they are completely booked otherwise. If you look on the NBOME FAQ sheet it states they will not be opening additional tests centers until at least 2010 because the cost would nearly double with another test center. That is what it says but it seems to me that there is more than one illegitimate thing going on here, especially in my case.

I would love any advice. I can't wait to get out of this damn school and pray they let me but how much should I let them mess with me like this? This is like a nightmare.

I don’t know what to think. I was told by faculty that helped design it, that you could do a minimum of OMM and still pass. The website says you have to pass BOTH the clinical aspect and the interpersonal aspect of the test. If I was told I was rude and unprofessional, I might consider working on the interpersonal part of the test. That said, there should be some sort of feedback for 1000 bones….

And being that it takes over 2 months to grade the thing, they must invest a ton of time judging our work. If I spent that much time grading a test, I would want the examinee to know what specific things that I thought they should be improving on

And being that it takes over 2 months to grade the thing, they must invest a ton of time judging our work. If I spent that much time grading a test, I would want the examinee to know what specific things that I thought they should be improving on

You spoke my mind. I recently found I had failed, with "needs improvement" across the board. I called them up and asked what they could tell me about it, considering the fact that they videotaped the whole thing. I figure that if they spend more than two months scrutinizing every little thing I did, the least they could do was tell me what I could work on. Would you believe that the girl said," well, it would be unfair to other students if we told you what you did wrong!" I explained that since I was calling for answers, and having to pay another $1500 (with travel expenses), and since THEY were the ones who felt I was inadequate, they owed me an explanation. She went on to say that NBOME just proctors the exam, and is not responsible for explaining the grading criteria. I nearly blew my lid! :mad: They are qualified enough to nit-pick every question and every word I wrote down, but not able to tell me what I did wrong? Oh yeah, she also asked me to talk to my school about what I need to improve on. How is my school supposed to help me if I don't even know what I did wrong? I went on to say that for the record (I was being recorded), I felt their ambivalence to the situation is very unprofessional, and that they are basically using their power to make money. This might be cash for them, but it is my future, my life, and my confidence that is being shot.
Actually, after talking with her I felt a little better. I realized that all the previous posts had been correct, that the NBOME is FOS, and that they just want your money. I can understand if I didn't do something to their specifications, but they owe me an explanation. I can't wait until I a done with all this BS, and anything NBOME related.

One things I learned (I think): you can do it completely wrong, just do it. Make an effort. Do soft tissue massage on every patient for 90 seconds, you will pass the OMM portion. Thats all they want, to make sure you address it, do your best to diagnose it, and show interest in treating it.

As for the medical stuff, its okay to put something like "consult PDRx for appropriat drug/dosage" or "review literature for osteoporosis management", they just want to see that you are thorough and observant.

One things I learned (I think): you can do it completely wrong, just do it. Make an effort. Do soft tissue massage on every patient for 90 seconds, you will pass the OMM portion. Thats all they want, to make sure you address it, do your best to diagnose it, and show interest in treating it.

As for the medical stuff, its okay to put something like "consult PDRx for appropriat drug/dosage" or "review literature for osteoporosis management", they just want to see that you are thorough and observant.
Just wondering - how did you get this feedback? That's good info, but in my search to find "what they want," I've had a difficult time finding what they really want.

And did you do this and pass - soft tissue for 90sec on every pt, etc?

Good questions.

No, I didnt do that. But, I believe that if you do, you will pass. First of all, this is not a test of medical knowledge. It is a test of physical examination, personal interaction, and transcription.

beyond that, there isnt much to it.

And I did fail it once, so I definitely know what NOT to do (i.e. take it seriously, people). My OMT was lackadaisacal and without purpose, I think mainly because I was pissed at having to take it.

Well, I was even more pissed at having to take it again, so I spent every second possible with the patient, asked even the silliest questions, checked ears and eyes (pretended to at least) and did thoughtful OMT. Of course I couldnt accurately dx and rx every OMT complaint, but even a little bit helps, and they make as much clear: the choice of OMT need not vary. it only matters that you perform appropriate OMT on every patient. I also believe that one grader grades each patient, so you wont have one grader seeing all your OMT performances, necessarily.

They absolutely could not fail you for attempting to diagnose a SD and perform soft tissue with the recommendation of "return to clinic in two weeks for full OMt consultation".

The medicine part is another story, but still...they cant fail you for making a dx of Crohns when its really UC, or calling pronator entrapment, carpal tunnel syndrome. They assume that your next step will be a better workup, and this is all about interaction.

Just my 0.02

I am really nervous to get my results. I had three patients ask for OMT. I did a short ME to upper thoracics and then reevaluated on one pt (consequently, she said that it didnt feel much better), then I did a 15 second bit of cranial to another (running out of time), and the third pt I completely ran out of time so I didnt get to do anything. Has anyone did the poorly on the OMT portion and still passed?

I am really nervous to get my results. I had three patients ask for OMT. I did a short ME to upper thoracics and then reevaluated on one pt (consequently, she said that it didnt feel much better), then I did a 15 second bit of cranial to another (running out of time), and the third pt I completely ran out of time so I didnt get to do anything. Has anyone did the poorly on the OMT portion and still passed?
I am curious about your question also.

And just to let you know - when I asked if my OMT helped - 1 pt said no, 1 said a little, and the other 2 said yes. So they don't always respond positively to the OMT.

No worries. The test is very subjective. I'm sure you will get through it on the second try. Sucks to waste the cash but it'll pay off soon.

I couldn't schedule my COMLEX-PE until last week... and I was pretty annoyed at having to spend any part of my Christmas vacation in Chickenchokin, PA. Anyway, I felt bad about the test coming out and after reading some of these threads, I'm losing sleep. If it really does take 12 ridiculous weeks to get the results of this extortion, then there won't be enough time to re-take it, get the results of the re-take, AND GRADUATE ON TIME, which, by default = non-matched status. I don't really think that I sucked bad enough to fail that piece of crap, but then again, it's the NBOME so it all depends on what the tea leaves say. I can't believe it's legal for them to do this to us. There was NO WAY I could have taken the test any earlier, for one thing, it was completely booked for over 3 solid months by time I had my schedule solidified enough to commit to a test day (this was early September, people), and I'm sure I'm just one of many in the same situation. Is there anyone out there whose diploma will likely be held as the result of this atrociuos popularity contest/"how much OMM can you do in 14 minutes" of a test? What are we supposed to do next year if we don't graduate on time (I'm assuming this would also make it difficult and/or impossible to match into anything)?

Was out there last week too. I agree it sucks how it's setup with waiting so long for results...I'm just trying to forget about it. Not like worrying about it now (when you don't yet know the results) will affect the outcome.

There are a few open dates in April as of this minute. Good luck!

Had to register in February and that was well over 5 months ago! :( This is a scary thread but I appreciate everyone's input. Time to brush up on my OMM. Sounds like this is an OMM centered exam to most with some personal interaction skills thrown in for good measure.