comlex lvl 1 failure advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apopz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

3rd yr med student. I have a Comlex level 1 failure. The reasons dont matter because they wont matter to an residency admissions office either. I retook and did well, scoring average, and also took USMLE level 1 and did average (230s) as well. I feel like this dumb ****ing comlex exam has completely ruined my life and all chances at matching into internal medicine. Its not even a good exam, and obviously im quite upset over it, but now I need to know if any of you have been in similar situations or know someone that has that has successfully matched IM? Am i destined to work in bumble**** in a community program even with board scores making up for that initial failure? What advice do you have for making this failure less impactful on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few people in my school who failed level 1 still ended up matching Internal medicine. Since you scored average on ur retake and also ur step 1, you still have a good chance for IM. However try not to fail your remaining boards and also aim for similiar or a better performance on them. You got this!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks man, its something thats been eating at me literally every day. good to know others have matched in the same situation

As someone who just recently matched IM with a crap Step 1 score, destroying Step 2 and passing Step 2 CS before applications are due goes a long way.