Comlex level 1 2010 experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that we haven't gotten one started year (at least I didn't find one with the search). So, for those of you who have taken it already, please share your experiences (subject break down, types of questions, what resources you used and would recommend , additional advice, etc).

Congratulations on being done!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks InTheMaking!
Btw I have a q about the timing of the test. Is it like the COMSAE, where you get a running 4 hour timer for the first 4 blocks with a 10 minute break after the first two? Or is it strictly 1 hour for each block?

Thanks InTheMaking!
Btw I have a q about the timing of the test. Is it like the COMSAE, where you get a running 4 hour timer for the first 4 blocks with a 10 minute break after the first two? Or is it strictly 1 hour for each block?

Running timer. You can spend 2 hours on the first block and 20 minutes on the next block and 65 minutes on the third. You may divide your time as you want to. The 10 minute break is optional and only after your 2nd block of the morning and afternoon session. These 10 minute breaks come out of your time.

Your lunch break is 40 minutes and does not come out of your time for the afternoon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if people thought the Savarese OMT questions (in the practice comlex) were similar to the OMT questions on the actual COMLEX.

I have finished COMBANK and did ok on the OMT section (~75%) but some of these Savarese questions seem a little more difficult. I just wonder if I should focus on OMT for the next day or if I can review some other material (my test is on Wednesday).

Thanks!

Update:

Got a 540 on my COMSAE ~ 2 weeks before my COMLEX. At that point I had not studied OMT at all and don't consider that a strong point of mine.

Got a 597 on the COMLEX. (For reference, I scored a 254 on the USMLE 3 weeks after this.) I primarily prepared for the USMLE since I think I plan on trying to go ACGME and I have heard that board scores are perhaps a little less impt. for the Osteopathic match. I think it probably would have helped me to have studied a little longer for the COMLEX but I am definitely happy with that score. Hopefully it doesn't hold me back if I do decide to do the DO match. Good luck to everyone on rotations and congrats on being done!

Last edited:
Took mine today.

Lots of OMM, but simple mostly. No sacrum. 1 cranial. 5 or so chapmans points. Lots of spinal levels. Also easy sequencing questions like treat thoracic inlet first, etc.

Lots of OB/GYN. Mostly OB. Questions that I would have trouble answering after my OB rotation I'm sure. Seemed VERY VERY clinical in terms of OB.

Micro was very very simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Not that many micro questions for me actually. Sometimes even gave you the answer with questions like this is a group b, beta hemolytic catalase negative. Make sure you remember that Microsporum fluoresces in Wood's Lamp. Only remember 2 things on viruses: measles and an HIV question

Pharm was simple as well, nothing spectacular there few side effects, few MOA's. Couple weird questions like the mechanism of resistance of ribavirin.

Neuro was ULTRA simple. Cranial Nerve lesions like tongue protrudes right, what's lesioned.

Other big things were Cardio (not the drugs, just murmurs and other pathology), and endocrine suprisingly (lots of Thyroid gland stuff, a pheo)

Heme/Onc had the normal bleeding disorders, vWF, Hemophilia.

GI had a few meckel's diverticulum questions such as how to treat, what its associated with. Also there was at least 3 questions on crohns and 3 on UC. A couple biliary questions as well.

Respiratory had some on obstructive lung disease that's about it. No paraneoplastic syndromes etc.

Suprisingly had about 8 questions that were solely answered by your knowledge of identigying what was in the pictures. And most of those pictures were histology.

If you have specific questions about the test, ask them and I'll try to answer. I can't think of everything off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info!

I was wondering whether the pictures you saw were covered by the picture section in FA?

I've posted a more complete thought on my blog http://theparamount.wordpress.com/

Alright dude, after reading your blog I finally decided to buy a Comsae C. My test is next Tuesday so hopefully I won't get crushed on this thing and completely loose my confidence. BTW great breakdown and comparison between the 3 C's, hopefully I don't get your test since ob/gyn has been my achilles heel this whole time. I want my test to be 70% Micro pharm and omm :laugh:

is it naturally just more brain cells and their head just gets it easier?

or is it character and they know how to push themselves to study more? and better concentration and focus?

i've always wondered... cause i've wondered about myself if i'm just lazy and lack focus and concentration... and don't know how to push myself to study harder and enjoy delayed gratification.
or if i'm just not as snazzy-smart as i thought and need to humbly accept it without letting it degrade my pride and self-confidence.

any real thoughts, insights or wisdom would be appreciated.

my comlex 1 is tomorrow. :xf:

Alright dude, after reading your blog I finally decided to buy a Comsae C. My test is next Tuesday so hopefully I won't get crushed on this thing and completely loose my confidence. BTW great breakdown and comparison between the 3 C's, hopefully I don't get your test since ob/gyn has been my achilles heel this whole time. I want my test to be 70% Micro pharm and omm :laugh:

I just took my test today. Mine was definitely not repro heavy, in my opinion (but maybe I didn't notice the repro questions because I like repro). I had a lot of cranial and sacrum for OPP, and of course autonomics. I felt like my test was heavily neuro and MSK weighted... which I did NOT like. Lots of endocrine on mine too, but that wasn't bad. I didn't have any renal, maybe a couple respiratory, some cardio. There was a lot of micro and pharm, most of which weren't too bad, but there were some obscure pharm questions to which I didn't really know the answer. Overall.... idk.. we will find out in 4-6 weeks! I'm just glad it's over and I can stop studying!!!!!!

My feeling coming out of there? UGH. I think that describes it well. I'd say my test was 30% repro, 30% microbio, 10% OMM, and the rest were scattered with a slight focus in GI and endo. Not much cardio/resp to speak of, a little bit of neuro (no cross-sections), no renal, only 1 heme-ONC, only 2 biochem, no biostats, a few psych. Got about 3-4 cranial (mostly temporal bone)

90% of OMM was viscerosomatics. Know that 1 page in Savarese. KNOW THE PROSTATE.

Got like 5 questions on giardia, they seems to love that bug. A couple where you had to look at a pic to ID the bug.

Not as much pharm as I would have liked.

Basically the test felt like one big repro and microbio exam. Choices like "mitelschmerz" and "serous adenoma vs. serous adenocarcinoma" would show up.

Anyway, I just hope I passed and I'm hoping for a decent curve. I can already remember several dumb mistakes.

Well, if there are any questions, just ask.

My feeling coming out of there? UGH. I think that describes it well. I'd say my test was 30% repro, 30% microbio, 10% OMM, and the rest were scattered with a slight focus in GI and endo. Not much cardio/resp to speak of, a little bit of neuro (no cross-sections), no renal, only 1 heme-ONC, only 2 biochem, no biostats, a few psych. Got about 3-4 cranial (mostly temporal bone)

90% of OMM was viscerosomatics. Know that 1 page in Savarese. KNOW THE PROSTATE.

Got like 5 questions on giardia, they seems to love that bug. A couple where you had to look at a pic to ID the bug.

Not as much pharm as I would have liked.

Basically the test felt like one big repro and microbio exam. Choices like "mitelschmerz" and "serous adenoma vs. serous adenocarcinoma" would show up.

Anyway, I just hope I passed and I'm hoping for a decent curve. I can already remember several dumb mistakes.

Well, if there are any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the post! I have only really studied repro from First Aid. What else would you recommend in addition to that?

I do not really post. I am just a reader but I took the COMLEX exam today and figured it was worth a post. Def have to agree with previous posters regarding repro content. I went in thinking repro would be over represented; however, this was not the case. I felt the test did not cover nearly as much repro as advertised. Def know giardia (weird pic on test, or at least im hoping) and the prostate. Pharm well represented. For some reason I felt they liked Beta Blockers. I do have to say thank God for OMT Review. I really felt today's exam had plenty of OMM. Know the page for innervations. In all, the test was a crap shoot. There was some I knew and some I didn't. Lastly, there was a goofy term in the first section staring with an "s" and ending in I have no clue. Point is, damn thing came out of left field for me. I guess this was expected for some questions but maybe somebody who took the exam today can explain what the word meant.

I also took the test on the 15th and agree with everything the others have posted. Not repro heavy, Pharm and Micro were as expected, hardly any pathology for the exception of 4 or so histology slides. 1 or 2 respiratory physiology questions, 5 or so EKG's where you had to diagnose the rhythm (various blocks, etc.), endocrine was mostly about thyroid, NO renal questions, 3 or 4 pedigrees, 1 hypersensitivity question, 7 or 8 questions overall on the prostate, 5 or so giardia questions, no biostats, 3-4 psych questions (not counting psych pharm), 1 ethical question, no billing/payment questions, TONS of upper and lower extremity innervation and blood supply questions, know the brachial plexus well. 5-6 CXR's and 1 CT scan (questions were 2nd order diagnosis), 1 heme question on CML, quite a few immunology questions, at least 9-10, but they all centered around acute phase cytokines, what causes fever and what types of situations would cause mast cell activation, T cell activation, etc. . . . strange. OPP was very fair, make sure you know your autonomics, sacrum, cranial, carrying angle - know set up's for muscle energy (spine, scarum, and radial head dysfunction), also had a question on a counterstrain set up. Also had a fair amount of chapman's points.

It was a total crap shoot . . . I just hope I passed. :xf:

Good Luck to all those still waiting to take it! :luck:

Honestly, I don't think I could have studied any harder. The things that I didn't know on this exam were not covered well in 1st Aid, DIT, Kaplan, Goljan RR/audio or Combank, so I was at a loss as to where I would have even seen these topics. Who knows, maybe I'm frustrated by most of the "sample" questions. I sure hope so!

Last edited:
I got a big question. I know moving the test date to a later date can be bad sometimes (e.g. burning out from studying) but I have my comlex in a week and I'm on the borderline about moving it to beginning of July. Trying to get a good score but time is never on my side as far as studying b/c it always took more time to cover a subject than i thought and never got enough questions done. (I've done about half or UWorld and maybe couple hundred from Combank.) Am I supposed to feel completely prepared 7 days out? Is it bad to not have all these pharm side effects (and even some drug names) not completely engrained in my head? Also, I have like half of micro down really well. I've covered it all, but prolly need to look over viruses, and definitely worms and protozoa a couple times. Plus, I haven't been able to take any time outta my study schedule to take a practice exam. Have gone over stuff slowly twice (annotating first aid with goljan, BRS phys, etc., 2nd time with Doctors and Training) Stuck at 60s on UWorld (often due to pharm and forgetting stuff from a week prior) and 70s and sometimes 80s on combank. The problem with going over all this stuff any more than a week and you start forgetting what you learned last week. So I am scared for this 3rd run through of first aid in 5 days to be tested on the real thing. Should I move it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a big question. I know moving the test date to a later date can be bad sometimes (e.g. burning out from studying) but I have my comlex in a week and I'm on the borderline about moving it to beginning of July. Trying to get a good score but time is never on my side as far as studying b/c it always took more time to cover a subject than i thought and never got enough questions done. (I've done about half or UWorld and maybe couple hundred from Combank.) Am I supposed to feel completely prepared 7 days out? Is it bad to not have all these pharm side effects (and even some drug names) not completely engrained in my head? Also, I have like half of micro down really well. I've covered it all, but prolly need to look over viruses, and definitely worms and protozoa a couple times. Plus, I haven't been able to take any time outta my study schedule to take a practice exam. Have gone over stuff slowly twice (annotating first aid with goljan, BRS phys, etc., 2nd time with Doctors and Training) Stuck at 60s on UWorld (often due to pharm and forgetting stuff from a week prior) and 70s and sometimes 80s on combank. The problem with going over all this stuff any more than a week and you start forgetting what you learned last week. So I am scared for this 3rd run through of first aid in 5 days to be tested on the real thing. Should I move it?

In my opinion, no, don't move it. Another week is not going to do a whole lot at this point. It will just make you more frustrated and prolong the suffering for another week! To be honest, nothing can prepare you for the randomness of the Comlex. I didn't think the questions were similar to Combank AT ALL. Just have faith that you prepared well enough and go into it with confidence.

Good luck! :luck:

I didn't think the questions were similar to Combank AT ALL.

Not what I wanted to hear lol I actually thought combank is pretty good, I used it mostly as a learning tool like UW though... Btw if anybody wants a list (more like 2 pics) of Chapman points Ant/Post that we got at KCOM, shoot me a message with your email address. I was surprised Savarese barely covers any in his chapter on Chapman points.

Not what I wanted to hear lol I actually thought combank is pretty good, I used it mostly as a learning tool like UW though... Btw if anybody wants a list (more like 2 pics) of Chapman points Ant/Post that we got at KCOM, shoot me a message with your email address. I was surprised Savarese barely covers any in his chapter on Chapman points.

I know, I was bummed and surprised too :( The Comlex questions were just more 2nd and 3rd order and worded differently. This is just my opinion. Some people see more of a similarity. Doing combank questions did prepare me, but I'll just put it this way . . . taking the Comlex did not feel like doing 400 Combank questions.

I know, I was bummed and surprised too :( The Comlex questions were just more 2nd and 3rd order and worded differently. This is just my opinion. Some people see more of a similarity. Doing combank questions did prepare me, but I'll just put it this way . . . taking the Comlex did not feel like doing 400 Combank questions.

How similar was it to COMSAE?

How similar was it to COMSAE?

If I had to choose something that it was similar to it would be a Comsae, but I only took version B. My buddy who took all 3 thinks that the real deal was most similar to version C, which makes sense because it's the most recent.

It's just strange . . . not what I was expecting. Maybe it's because you're sitting there for 8 hours, but I understand now about what people are taking about when they say the Comlex is poorly written and awkward. Is kinda is. Some questions were so wacky and I don't know how much detail I can go into here on SDN, but they left me confused and literally laughing out loud. :D

If I had to choose something that it was similar to it would be a Comsae, but I only took version B. My buddy who took all 3 thinks that the real deal was most similar to version C, which makes sense because it's the most recent.

It's just strange . . . not what I was expecting. Maybe it's because you're sitting there for 8 hours, but I understand now about what people are taking about when they say the Comlex is poorly written and awkward. Is kinda is. Some questions were so wacky and I don't know how much detail I can go into here on SDN, but they left me confused and literally laughing out loud. :D

You probably did fine. If it's anything like COMSAE C, when I took it I thought I was going to get a poor score, and I ended up doing better than I did on COMSAE B which I had taken before that and felt much better while actually doing the exam. So yeah, in my experience, the scores have been unpredictable.

You probably did fine. If it's anything like COMSAE C, when I took it I thought I was going to get a poor score, and I ended up doing better than I did on COMSAE B which I had taken before that and felt much better while actually doing the exam. So yeah, in my experience, the scores have been unpredictable.

My score jumped about 100 points (3 weeks apart) from taking form A and then form B. While I was taking form B, I really felt like the exam was easier but it could have been that I studied my tush off for those 3 weeks. I didn't take form C because 1.) no time; and 2.) running low on dinero.

Ahhh... I'm really nervous and I'm really hoping that I succeed on Friday (test day). I'm having a really hard time focusing, reading, and continuing today because it's so close. Either way, I think I'm ready!!

I took the Comlex a week ago but never had the chance to speak on my exam. I've kind of thrown things out of my head, but hopefully the little I do remember helps someone.

I left the exam feeling like I really hope that I passed. I personally didn't think it was an impossible exam, but I just found myself constantly trying to remember what I read or what was said. It was as if all the info suddenly became a blur. Ugh.

I didn't have as many OMM questions as I expected. I kind of wished I had more. I had 2 cranial questions that were pretty straight forward, a couple of upper extremity brachial plexus related questions and some lower extremity femoral head kind of questions, and only 1 innominant question. Of course know the levels because that made up the other questions.

Micro wasn't exactly what I expected. I had microbacteria but many more protozoa kind of questions, so make sure you do not neglect those. Know how to treat them and know those that are associated with certain countries.

Neuro: know the tracts and associated lesion manifestations, as well as the same for blood supply lesions. I had quite a few neuro questions.

Behavioral Science: had quite a few of these questions, from knowing about how to approach an abused child, to determining what situation would qualify someone as having a panic disorder.

Bchm: Nonexistant for most part, minus maybe 2 questions, one of which was on McArdles.

Immuno: a little of these that was based on hypersensitivities.

Pharm: Most of the questions were cardio focused

The rest of the exam was scattered. I had 2 or 3 random HMO/PPO questions that I wouldn't have known had I tried to studied. I can't say that there was a true emphasis on any particular topic. It was really just luck of the draw. I can say that the exam was somewhat fair but still challenging. My advice: study everything. Do Combank, UW, whatever you can do to increase the number of questions you do. Listen to Goljan and or look at the notes. Just study hard.
Speaking to my fellow test takers on the same day, the focus of the exam is really varied. I hoped that the omm/ bugs, drugs, and neuro emphasis always rang true. Yet, I didn't find that to be completely true on my exam. There was a lot of straight clinical medicine questions. You really can't predict what type of exam you will get.

Good luck to you guys!

Okie.

Neuro: Use this and you could answer every question on my the exam except for this REALLY freaking obscure question about the face.
http://lessons4medicos.blogspot.com/2009/07/brainstem-rules-of-4.html

Every 2nd question was either a sick kid or a woman with a bleeding...well, you know. This was fine but HOLY CRAP with the clinical. MOST of my anatomy was lower extremity with a few upper extremity peppered in for variety and one really simple GI anatomy thrown in. I had one set up question which was kind of annoying because they used an eponymous name for a few of the answer choices that I hadn't seen before, but was still able to figure out.

A few chapmans points, and a lot of levels, they weren't that hard except they were inconstant from question to question, which was driving me a little nuts. A little bit of cranial (maybe 3 or 4?) and quite a bit of ribs. Make sure you know what muscles you use to treat the ribs.

The first half of my exam was VERY balanced. The second half was pretty much all kids and bleeding women. Little bit of testicular stuff and a few prostate related questions (I guess so you fellas didn't feel left out?).

Hardly ANY psych or behavioral on mine. A few drugs and a few major disorders that you should be familiar with (I really don't know how much detail I'm allowed to go into w/o getting in trouble, but it was nothing obscure, I promise).

I had a lot of murmur questions, and one EKG, a few drug side effects (easier then on kaplans USMLE qbank) and one mechanism of action question. I also had some "obscure" diseases (you know, that section in bacteriology that you skip?) like 5 or 6 questions. Hep B might be good to know too....I think everyone gets a question on Hep B.

All in all, I don't think I could have prepared any more, also - the fact that there was a power outage while I was taking my test nearly gave me an MI.

If any of you have any questions please feel free to ask.
I thought the OMM questions in the green book were MUCH harder then on the actual exam. I also thought COMSAE C was a good representation

Also, if anyone wants to use "flash facts" form USMLErx.com I bought them a week ago and only had time to do like one set, so I'm obviously not going to use them...they are extremely useful though.

So I took my exam today. All I am gona say.. it was tough. It was really heavy on neuro. In fact after OMM, Neuro was the biggest with micro being a close third. Neuro was tricky and confusing. There were also some Histo things that I found tough as well. The first half was okay, but I noticed that the test got harder progressively (or maybe it was the fatigue factor). Good Luck to you all.

Yeah I just hope I passed. :scared: I agree with all the above posts. Took the Step 1 Monday and I'm not so confident in the answers that I put. Anybody know the pass rate for COMLEX Step 1? I know for allopathic USMLE its like 94-95% for MDs and I think that it is same for us but I'm unable to confirm. Any advice? Also I noticed some questions on my exam that I felt had more than 1 answer...and some that COMBANK, First Aid, Savarese differed on...thats adds to my uncomfortableness of the exam....God I just want to pass

Here are my thoughts on COMLEX I:

I just took it, and this thing sucked! I pray that I passed! It was not at all what I expected. I had lots of tough neuro “where is the lesion questions,” but these were not about merely choosing a cranial nerve on the correct side, they were about specific areas of the brain, and this has never been my forte. OMM was heavy on the sacrum and sympathetics – this wasn’t too bad – but I had never planned to treat Raynaud’s with OMM – gag... had some weird chapman’s points, like the prostate. I actually had a few embryo questions. Many of my questions were long. The histology images (around 4), chest x-rays (around 4), and EKGs (around 4) were not gimmies, and the few softball questions I had were in the areas of behavioral, OMM, and GI. While I didn’t run out of time, I didn’t have lots of extra time (as many of the other posters did). The afternoon session was tougher than the morning. Pharmacology was somewhat random (not focused mainly on CV as one might expect – such as tx for female hair loss), some of these were tough third order side effect type questions.

Know: 1) all kinds of random parasites and their country of origin, 2) MOAs for the lipid lowering drugs, 3) histology – skin layers, weird mets 4) OB/GYN – be ready for their residency board exam, very detailed estrogen/progesterone treatment questions, tough trichomonas issues, 5) biochemistry regarding the liver 6) weird bacteria - not as many as I expected, and often not the main guys - but these questions generally focused on identification, with one or two questions about virulence, 7) pancreatic cancer (I think I had this several times – mets, obstruction, back pain, etc.), 8) Blood & Lymph – I actually had some weird ones, lots of bleeding disorder stuff 9) renal physiology – a surprise here too, 10) Anatomy – random stuff – like organs next to the abdominal aorta, structures you might hit cutting directly into the trachea to establish an airway, direct innervations to a variety of GI organs, greater focus on the lower limb (rather than upper limb) – know the common fibular nerve and how it branches to superficial and deep, 11) a few personality disorders, 13) respiratory pharm and phys (esp regarding asthma), 14) tricky knee injury question torn meniscus and torn…,

It will quickly become clear to you that the writers of this exam want you to practice family medicine, pediatrics, OB/GYN, or ER – these are how the cases get presented to you. If two questions seem similar, and you get the same answer for both of them, my guess is that this is a good sign (it probably means that one of the questions is a trial question that will be dropped – and it is likely a sign that you are on the right track).

Finally, to answer a few other questions: We don't have to select the size of needles, but the pharmacology patient management questions often appeared to be very high level and have many plausible answers. I think the national pass rate is usually around 85-88%.

@Celtic - I think my exam had pretty much the same questions as yours.

I'd like to add that although there was a lot of OB on my exam, it was probably also used to make the question seem more complicated. You know like pregnant lady + kidney problem. Pregnant lady + hematologic problem.

it was frustrating bc the first half of the exam the questions were shorter and then the second half had all these lab values & longer vignettes. wished i had that highlighter function.

That's way too high. PASSING is anywhere from 50-60% depending on the curve.

I think Celtic meant ~90% of students taking the test pass, not that getting 90% correct correlates to pass. From what I've heard, the upper 80% lower 90% figure (of total test takers) is reasonably accurate for passing.

All you guys worrying, just relax and be confident that you did as much as you can, you're all going to come back a month later and tell us how well you did :thumbup:

I think Celtic meant ~90% of students taking the test pass, not that getting 90% correct correlates to pass. From what I've heard, the upper 80% lower 90% figure (of total test takers) is reasonably accurate for passing.

All you guys worrying, just relax and be confident that you did as much as you can, you're all going to come back a month later and tell us how well you did :thumbup:

Ohhhhh ok, sorry. I get it.

So I did the Kaplan Simulated COMLEX exam yesterday and got a 68% on it. Dont know how that correlates to the actual score though. I was thinking of doing the COMSAE C tomorrow and then studying my butt off on Saturday and Sunday for a Tuesday test date. Does this sound reasonable? I am getting in the 70's on the Kaplan COMLEX questions (they say to try to get between 60-65% to pass) and around 55% or so on the USMLE Kaplan qbank. I just want some peace of mind with knowing that I am shooting for a passing score now. Would taking the COMSAE tomorrow be reasonable or should I just try to study hard the next few days and do as many questions as I can? Thanks for the advice.

Someone above asked about repro and First Aid. To be honest, what was in First Aid definitely did not seem to be enough. Not to scare anyone, but I read the Goljan repro chapter the night before my COMLEX in anticipation that I'd get a lot of repro (which I did), and it still didn't really help. The main problem was that they would present a woman with multiple sexual partners, for example, and then ask a vague question like "what is the most important consequence to result from this?" And it seems like more than 1 answer would be correct. So I don't know.

I am worrying about how I did, I just hope I passed. What's the % correct needed to pass again? Like 60%?

I guess there is a reason you don't hear many people get really high Comlex scores compared to the USMLE.

So I took my exam today. All I am gona say.. it was tough. It was really heavy on neuro. In fact after OMM, Neuro was the biggest with micro being a close third. Neuro was tricky and confusing. There were also some Histo things that I found tough as well. The first half was okay, but I noticed that the test got harder progressively (or maybe it was the fatigue factor). Good Luck to you all.

Just to clarify for those who haven't taken it:

Were your "neuro" questions over central or peripheral stuff?

I had about 2-3 true neuro questions on mine, meaning that they were over lesions and anatomy pretty much only covered in neuroanatomy. I had a lot of other nerve lesions, but they were all peripheral, which is covered much more in gross anatomy.

So I did the Kaplan Simulated COMLEX exam yesterday and got a 68% on it. Dont know how that correlates to the actual score though. I was thinking of doing the COMSAE C tomorrow and then studying my butt off on Saturday and Sunday for a Tuesday test date. Does this sound reasonable? I am getting in the 70's on the Kaplan COMLEX questions (they say to try to get between 60-65% to pass) and around 55% or so on the USMLE Kaplan qbank. I just want some peace of mind with knowing that I am shooting for a passing score now. Would taking the COMSAE tomorrow be reasonable or should I just try to study hard the next few days and do as many questions as I can? Thanks for the advice.

Take COMSAE C tomorrow. I did the Kaplan sim exam and did pretty bad on it, 62 or something I think. But the day later, I took the comsae b and got a 546. Plus my UWORLD avg was around a 55% complete and my combank avg was in the high 70s-low 80s. You're fine to pass.

How much Micro was on there? I heard there was allot. I've got two weeks and I'm sucking at micro right now (Pharm too)

So is using USMLEWorld good for Micro or should I just do Kaplan Comlex Q bank?

Thanks

Take COMSAE C tomorrow. I did the Kaplan sim exam and did pretty bad on it, 62 or something I think. But the day later, I took the comsae b and got a 546. Plus my UWORLD avg was around a 55% complete and my combank avg was in the high 70s-low 80s. You're fine to pass.

Thanks a lot. I didnt realize that the COMSAE was 4hr test either. I might even do a second one on Sunday. Did you take the COMLEX yet? Any other advice?

I guess there is a reason you don't hear many people get really high Comlex scores compared to the USMLE.

you dont see really high scores because the questions are vague and many of them have more than one answer. even the NBOME knows this and thats why they have the comment button. you dont see any place to comment on USMLE questions because they only have one correct answer. also, many of the comlex questions are so poorly worded, you dont even know what they are asking, let alone the correct answer.

Argh, just finished Comsae C, scored a 510. Thought I knew most of the questions on there, but guess I was wrong...

Thanks a lot. I didnt realize that the COMSAE was 4hr test either. I might even do a second one on Sunday. Did you take the COMLEX yet? Any other advice?

Got a 462 on COMSAE C. Thought I knew a lot of it too, but guess I wasnt that great. Would doing another COMSAE (A or B) be beneficial? I have done all the Kaplan COMLEX questions, have a 71% avg and did the Kaplan USMLE questions with a 52% avg. Also got a 68% on the full length Kaplan COMLEX simulated test with lots of cheating. Didnt cheat on the COMSAE though. Any other ideas or advice?

LOL well according to Comsae I have no idea what behavioral Sciences means and my OMM is at the level of a Kindergartner... :cool:

You'll be fine! That's a great score on a Comsae (especially version C). They say you can expect up to a 40 jump in your score on the real deal AND you still have a while to study :thumbup:

what is a "good" comlex score anyway? what is the comlex equivalent of say a 230 on the USMLE?

Now I am confused, I have seen people write they have a 231/99 on the usmle experiences thread?

99 is the double digit score. it does not correlate to a %age. it is a misnomer remnant from an older way of grading and should probably be eliminated altogether. 231/99 is ~ 72 percentile or something like that IIRC

PS: Thanks prions. that makes sense to me!