COMLEX Cutoff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlev92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Do programs typically have a COMLEX cutoff?

Both my step 1/2 were mid 240's. My Lv. 2 score dropped to 513 from Lv. 1. 620. (No Idea what happened here)... My Level 2 score is concerning to me in making it past screenings. A few upperclassmen told me COMLEX is primarily viewed as P/F when applicants have a Step score? Was hoping to get some advice, here. thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What advice would you be getting? You can't selectively report your COMLEX scores and there's really nothing to strategize about here. Some programs have hard cutoffs, some will overlook a COMLEX cutoff if you make the USMLE cutoff. You aren't going to find anyone here with inside information regarding the specific programs and specialty you are applying to. If you are really worried about it, email the program coordinators of some of your top choice programs.

Reactions: 5 users
Depends on the competitiveness of the specialty and tier of program you're applying to. But like the poster above said, you cannot not report your COMLEX scores.

If you are looking for reassurance, know that the vast majority of non-AOA programs in competitive specialties--though eager for any reason to narrow down their applicant pool--don't really care about COMLEX. Ex: my friend applied EM last year. Mutiple PDs, some of which were DOs at ACGME programs, straight up told him they don't look at COMLEX.

So long as your Steps are looking fine, they often overlook COMLEX funny business. 620 to 513 is a noticeable drop, but if you're stressing about if your Level 2 will get caught in test score filters there is no way to tell. Some programs care, some don't. Just keep your chin up and apply and see how the cards fall.

Reactions: 2 users