Comlex 3, wtf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scione

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was that??? Horribly written...no context. Completely random. Questions in which there is nothing to study from to prepare for.....ehhh

Combank and Comquest were awesome. Those questions actually made sense. The real thing, however....questions don't make sense, answer choices are vague.....peds gallore. Hopefully I passed and will walk away from NBOME forever. Blasted! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

These test are ridiculous, roller skate injuries, rectus sheath masses, seriously what the F*$K was the POS. Thank god I never ever have to take another comlex. I let them have it on the roller skate question too. It was near the end of my test and I was just fed up.

I took it on this date too. How did you guys do?

I failed, sucks. Any advice if you passed this time around? Study materials that worked for you? Thanks.

I took it on this date too. How did you guys do?

I failed, sucks. Any advice if you passed this time around? Study materials that worked for you? Thanks.

Everyone else on here has already said how I feel about this exam: poorly written, out of left field, mess. I don't know how I passed. I walked out confident I had failed. Every question I could remember I looked up and had put the wrong answer.
In any case, what I did for study was part of COMBANK and all of COMQUEST. I read Crush the week before. I wasn't going to use it but then a friend lent it to me. I was surprised by how much I did like it and wish I had used it sooner.
Also went through step 3 White coat pocket book. Or some name along those lines.

I know I missed easy OMM questions cause I couldn't bring myself to reread the green OMM study guide till he two days before the exam. That was a dumb move on my part and I dont rececomend doing what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
x 2 months of

FA Step 3
USMLE Step 2 Secrets
COMQUEST
Savarese

639 first attempt. Stupid test but not all that difficult. Focus on management. Know the dx/tx from FA cold and you'll be fine. The questions are short but everything they mention is mentioned for a reason. If something isn't there, assume it's normal or doesn't exist. Have an answer in your head before looking at the potential answers for the question; if you see what you thought, pick it and move on. If you don't know it, after about a minute of thinking pick what you think is the most likely answer, move on, and forget about it.

I agree with the above. Just took it yesterday and... wtf. I walked away from comlex I and II feeling pretty confident, and my score reflected that. But this was just insane. Vague cases, vague answer choices, and always with 2 choices that, in clinical practice, could be correct based on other factors that weren't included in the stem. Is that just how Level III is, or is the NBOME trying to change things up and be more like the USMLE (and ending up failing miserably at it? At least the USMLE gives enough information). To the OP, did you end up passing?

I took Comlex III yesterday and so did someone else from my class. We all thought it was insane. It was so Peds and Obgyn heavy and not the stuff that was on Kaplan step III master the boards. The OMM was at a whole different level compared to step II. I knew almost all the omt on step II and probably only knew half for step 3. I had almost nothing that was on my Comquest on this and I felt it was a total waste. I did very well on my psych prite exams but wow I couldn’t even answer a chunk of the psych questions they were so vague. Honestly, I was randomly guessing big chunks of questions including the linked sets of questions. Heck, I still don't know if "most appropriate test" means the the most appropriate initial/next test i.e. more sensitive/cheap or the best test to order meaning gold standard/most specific. I had low 500's on my step 1 and low 600's on my step II and I really feel like like I failed this sucker.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how long does it take for step 3 scores to be released?

Finally got my score on Comlex 3 after waiting almost 6 weeks for my score. I walked out of the test thinking I completely bombed the dam thing. Turns out I got my highest score of any of them. Mid 500s on 1. 630s on 2 and 650 on 3. I went through comquest about 2 times in the 4 weeks before the test and it worked out for me.

Finally got my score on Comlex 3 after waiting almost 6 weeks for my score. I walked out of the test thinking I completely bombed the dam thing. Turns out I got my highest score of any of them. Mid 500s on 1. 630s on 2 and 650 on 3. I went through comquest about 2 times in the 4 weeks before the test and it worked out for me.

What reading sources did you use? Needed at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
What reading sources did you use? Needed at all?

I really didn't study at all. I did about 150 questions from Kaplan's step III question book and figured I was tired of studying. I passed. Actually had the same two-digit score in all three exams. It's not all that hard. Don't stress it.

FM resident. Took the test May 9 and got scores back today. Absolutely thought I either failed or may have just barely passed. Most random test ever!

Study Materials:
1. Read Crush Step 2 once.
2. Comquest q bank once 70%

722!:eek:

Goodbye NBOME, OMM, Osteopathy, forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to focus on real medicine.

Passed. Walked out of exam uncertain if I did well enough to pass. Glad I'm done with the steps. Could not put together enough time to study beyond the weekend before the exam.

My advice 1)review the Savarese OMM book very well. 2)Schedule it intern year and DON'T postpone it unless you still need a high score for matching into a program.

Ugh. I get to take the beast next month. I hope I can get some good study time in then because this month has been killer. As an IM resident, I'm hoping just reviewing peds, OBGyn, and a little surgery along with COMQUEST and Savarese will be enough. Fortunately we have had three or four OMT IM board review sessions this past year, so if I have to sacrifice I'm thinking of sacrificing Savarese.

I found COMBANK ridiculously easy and was doing 80% on those questions two months ago on an easy rotation. Hoping COMQUEST will be more representative.

I was freaking out too. I just got my score back and I got 766!. I only had low 500s on step I and low 600's on step II. It seems that most people that think they did bad ended up doing very well. Don't stress out over this exam.

FM resident. Took the test May 9 and got scores back today. Absolutely thought I either failed or may have just barely passed. Most random test ever!

Study Materials:
1. Read Crush Step 2 once.
2. Comquest q bank once 70%

722!:eek:

Goodbye NBOME, OMM, Osteopathy, forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to focus on real medicine.

For one I never believe that you have ever "failed" or "barely passed" a test ever. In addition you are a stud and I miss you.

Passed it as well, exact same score as my step II score and I read about 150 questions only. It's not a tough test if you pay attention.

I passed both Level I and II on first attempts with mid 400 scores. Nothing spectacular but good enough. This is my experience with level III.

1st attempt: 2nd half of transitional intern year with 3 months of medicine. Used COMBANK, Secrets and Green book. Felt prepared for the exam considering my good scores on the COMBANK. Boy was I wrong. Failed with a score of 343 and 2 digit score of 74.

2nd attempt: 2 months later with a month of ER and Peds under my belt. Hit the books hard this time. Completed COMBANK again. Supplemented Step 2 secrets with Strong Medicine, high yield OB/GYN and high yield Peds. Failed again with score of 335. Shocked to say the least as I felt prepared again. The exam was just so random that I could have studied another 3 months and would have got the same score.

3rd attempt: Waited another 2 years because of numerous reasons. Took it end of 3rd year of residency. I studied 2-3 hrs on weekdays and 5-7 hrs on weekends for a month. I am jealous of people who only study for a day and pass but I was petrified to fail again. I just found out that not only did I pass this time but my score was in the mid 600's :D.

I drastically changed my approach and I think it worked:thumbup:. For one I do have more clinical experience under my belt but its important to have the right approach.

1)Q bank: First thing I realized was that COMBANK sucks and bought comquest. A lot better questions and I felt that the questions were similar to the ones I saw on the real exam. The explanations are high yield. I scored about 70%.

2) Books: First aid for Step 3(Focused on diagnosis and treatment), Savresse and Swanson Family Medicine review book(just focused on the OB/GYN, Peds and GI section). I would finish reading and than complete the questions on Comquest. Took notes and went over the question explanations.

3) I used Premier review audio for OB/GYN and Peds during my long commuites. Nothing special but good for a quick review.

4) Took the COMSAE 2 days before the exam and scored in the mid 600's. Not sure if it is worth the money as you dont know what the answers are. But it does get you in the COMLEX mind set.

To sum it up I feel that the most helpful thing was focusing on Peds, OBGYN, GI and Cards as they are very very high yield. Atleast 60% of the exam was from the above 4 areas. 10% is OMM and the rest 30% is almost impossible to study for. I think as long as you read first aid and go over the diagnosis and treatment you should be fine. Swansons section on Peds and OB/GYN is amazing. I bet if I had read the whole book I would have scored in the 700's. The exam is written by primary care physicians so reading a FP board review book is obvious for people like me. Good luck!!!

Took the exam today. Thought it was pretty terrible. I felt much better after level II. This test was bizarre. Not normal management questions but one's you may never see in real life. They try to expand the question stems by adding osteopathic findings which are confusing.

Don't know how I did....hope I passed. :p

I was wondering the same thing. Some of my buddies said you do still get a score report. You should be able to just take that to you residency office and get it copied for their records.

Ugh. I get to take the beast next month. I hope I can get some good study time in then because this month has been killer. As an IM resident, I'm hoping just reviewing peds, OBGyn, and a little surgery along with COMQUEST and Savarese will be enough. Fortunately we have had three or four OMT IM board review sessions this past year, so if I have to sacrifice I'm thinking of sacrificing Savarese.

I found COMBANK ridiculously easy and was doing 80% on those questions two months ago on an easy rotation. Hoping COMQUEST will be more representative.

Hey

Did you get a chance to try comquest? If yes do you feel it's that much better that combank or as some have stated they have about the same but reworded questions?

I'm trying to avoid paying for two qbanks, I already purchased combank :scared:

I would say that 99% of the material on comquest wasn't on step III and 0% were repeat questions. Oddly enough, I felt that the comquest step III had some very close questions/copies from back when I took Comlex step II. From what I've heard, combank is no difference. I would still do questions for practice, but I don't know how helpful they were. I hate to say it, but I think luck plays the biggest part in this exam.

I would say that 99% of the material on comquest wasn't on step III and 0% were repeat questions. Oddly enough, I felt that the comquest step III had some very close questions/copies from back when I took Comlex step II. From what I've heard, combank is no difference. I would still do questions for practice, but I don't know how helpful they were. I hate to say it, but I think luck plays the biggest part in this exam.

That's what I was questioning...now is the depth of the questions on step III about the same of say combank?

And was yours heavy in ob/gyn peds as it was for others? Thanks!

I would say that Comlex step III questions were similar in depth to Comlex step II questions. It was also similar in depth to the Comquest step III questions, but I don't know with regards to Combank. Again, I would say the specific material covered on Comquest was not heavy on my Comlex Step III. Yeah, mine was heavy on both peds and ob/gyn.

I would say that Comlex step III questions were similar in depth to Comlex step II questions. It was also similar in depth to the Comquest step III questions, but I don't know with regards to Combank. Again, I would say the specific material covered on Comquest was not heavy on my Comlex Step III. Yeah, mine was heavy on both peds and ob/gyn.

Seeing as how there seems to be no consensus as to the best qbank, for those who have posted already, what would your advice be as to how to study?

I just did the Kaplan Master the Boards Step III book, Savarese and did Comquest step III and read the answer explanations. I did it all in about a month while doing my rotations. I thought I was prepared going in, during the exam I felt totally underprepared, and when I left the exam, I thought that I failed and that the Kaplan book and Comquest were a complete waste of time. The weird thing is I ended up doing very well, especially considering im a psych resident. I am convinced that luck is the biggest factor on this test.

The moral is don't stress. Just read some sort of brief review covering every subject other than what you are doing your residency in, don't forget to review Savarese, and do some sort of practice questions. Not much else can be done beyond that.