COMLEX 2 required for graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej6527

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have heard a number of things from many people on what the requirements are for osteopathic schools to graduate. According to the AOA section 5.4.1. accredidation rules, begining for the class of 2008, you are required to take and pass both the comlex 2 ce and pe. But for ANY student graduating before December 2007, you are only required to take both the comlex ce and pe.
I graduating in the class of 2007. But in my schools handbook, they say you must pass comlex 2ce inorder to graduate and just take the pe. I have checked the handbooks of other osteopathic schools, and some say that it is a requirement to pass comlex 2ce, while most others say just take it dont worry about passing.

can these osteopathic colleges set forth higher standards than their own accrediataion body, the AOA?Is this the reason why some schools have changed the aoa's own rule.? IF this is the case, this doesnt make sense at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what changed at my school, but they drilled it into my class's heads (2007) that we MUST TAKE AND PASS both the CE and the PE in order to graduate. However, I received an email from the dean the other day stating:

"Just a reminder that all students in the class of 2007 must pass COMLEX CE and have ATTEMPTED the PE in order to graduate."

A clear contradiction, but there you have it... not even our top dogs at the schools know what the right answer is. From what I have heard, it is a school dependent rule at this point simply because next year it WILL be a grad requirement to pass the PE as well.

At any rate, we know we all have to pass it eventually, so why not just knock it out before graduation...