COMLEX 2 FAILED, Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused_amused

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out that I came up short on Comlex2, which is almost made worse by the fact that I took USMLE step 2 and passed that, didn't do that well, but passed. I studied First Aid, Secrets and did the Kaplan question bank, probably about 2,000 total questions, and I also did Savorese. I was doing pretty well on the practice questions when I prepared, better than my 2 study partners that both passed Comlex 2 taken on the same day I took it. In the end, I felt the questions were good for USMLE prep and worthless for Comlex.

When I took comlex, I thought that there were 2-3 possible correct answers for most questions and that I was guessing which one i thought could be right, then there were 3 follow-ups to that question that I guessed on to begin with. I was close, but obviously worried that since I felt prepared the first time, what's stopping this from happening again? There's people that have failed this 2-3 times, and not graduated. If I somehow don't pass and can't graduate this year.... I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be great.

Did anyone find practice questions similar to the rubik's cube comlex questions? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Took step 2 two weeks ago and felt exactly the same. There was never that one piece of info that would seperate the answers. I felt it was the most poorly written test I have ever taken. Hmmm, I wonder were our 400 dollars goes, because it doesn't go to making the test. I think I would have done better on USMLE too. Did Kaplan QBank and that didn't help at all. I don't think that the COMLEX tests what we should know about medicine. It was mostly random.
Hopefully you will do better when you retake. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I passed.:oops:

I guess i'm going to try to use Crush and usmleworld this time, just for the sake of doing something slightly different than the first time.

Did anyone use Kaplan? Was it worth it? Anyone looking to get rid of their Kaplan books for step2? (PM me if so)

Anyone have any other advice?

When I took comlex, I thought that there were 2-3 possible correct answers for most questions and that I was guessing which one i thought could be right, then there were 3 follow-ups to that question that I guessed on to begin with.

I think we all felt like this. I always chose "most common" and didn't try to read too much into what they were asking. Usually an answer will pop out at you right after you read the question--just go with that and do not second guess yourself!

I didn't change a single answer, and went back and reviewed only about 3-4 Q's per block.

You are right about those linked questions. Sometimes I would rethink my answer to the first one in the set based on the following questions.

The concepts are not difficult, it's the vagueness of the questions that makes it a tricky exam.

How far off were you? If just a few points, you should pass on the second try with no problem if you just go with your gut.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took step 2 two weeks ago and felt exactly the same. There was never that one piece of info that would seperate the answers. I felt it was the most poorly written test I have ever taken. Hmmm, I wonder were our 400 dollars goes, because it doesn't go to making the test. I think I would have done better on USMLE too. Did Kaplan QBank and that didn't help at all. I don't think that the COMLEX tests what we should know about medicine. It was mostly random.
Hopefully you will do better when you retake. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I passed.:oops:

Yet somehow, there's more than 75% did fine on it.. Yea.. must be the test's fault..

I have also failed Comlex II. However, I have come up with a few excuses for my failure. Now I am trying to practice and counter all these excuses. Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

Primarily I think it is due to the fact that English is my second language. I can't do much about it except read read read.

- I also found out that I developed headache while reading on computer screen. If you guys know what I am talking about. I kept on seeing white areas of my screen flutter. The computer monitor was probably set at 75 Hz. This caused me to have an extreme eye strain and headache.

- The magic marker sheet they give you is not transparent. I could not place it on the monitor to highlight or cross out answer options. Through out medical school this is the way I have been compensating for my slow reading speed.
I know 2 day Comlex I was a big ordeal, but I marked, underlined, and crossed out options on every single questions. And I did pass the Comlex I exam with good score.

I would very much appreciate if anyone can give me a few ideas and techniques to make my Comlex II computer exam a little bit more manageable.

Thank you very much in advance. :idea:

Does anyone know a good review source for medical law stuff that shows up on these exams? I think i'd have passed if I had gotten half of those questions right. It was my worst subject in my bar-graph thing.

Yet somehow, there's more than 75% did fine on it.. Yea.. must be the test's fault..

Yeah, and I did great on step one and usmle step one. I do think that COMLEX doesn't take as much time researching the questions as USMLE and that is a problem.

Does anyone know a good review source for medical law stuff that shows up on these exams? I think i'd have passed if I had gotten half of those questions right. It was my worst subject in my bar-graph thing.

Yeah, definitely. Anyone know of a good review for this? There were quite a few of these q's.

Hey whats up everyone.

Im wondering if anyone has Kaplan Qbank still running and they are not using it....willing to buy it.

thanks