Coming Out: Mentors, Role Models and Films

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1103055

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, medical students and residents today often lament that they have no mentors to show them the way.
Do you recommend any media/literature/movies/texts/narratives/profiles of LGBT physicians (or other health professionals) who either just happen to be LGBT or who are actively giving back/serving the LGBT community?

Reactions: 1 user
A comedy-drama film, Torch Song Trilogy, 1988, stars, Harvey Fierstein, Anne Bancroft and Matthew Broderick. The film has important themes especially as it relates to coming out in a cultural / religious, environment, family rejection, isolation and homophobia / hate crime. It served as a catalyst for my bf at the time and me to tell our families.

Wiki summary:

I would love this post if it wasn't so full of deep spoilers for the film. Maybe it's possible to post a different synopsis? It really spoiled me and I'm pretty upset about it.

I'm the president of my school's Gay-Straight Alliance. I decided I was sick of hiding who I was. I don't have any queer mentors but one experience has stuck with me for many years. I'm from a small conservative town. I was working at a coffee shop at the time. My girlfriend and I decided to go to a new wine bar. We ran into a regular customer of the coffee shop where I worked. The customer was there with her wife and they were just thrilled when they realized I was also wlw. They were successful professional women with great taste. They bought us an expensive bottle of wine. I was too young to remember or care what kind of wine, but the gesture really touched me and I was so in awe of these women. My exposure to lesbians previously had been my mother and sisters using the term to make fun of women who didn't conform to their idea of femininity. And of course the kind in adults-only videos. Until that night, I didn't realize that lesbians could just be "regular" women. I decided that, when I was brave enough and successful enough, I wanted to show other young people that it's normal and ok to be gay. It hasn't always been easy and I haven't been out all the time since then. I can't wait to be a doctor and use that platform to help elevate other LGBTQ+ folks, as well as other marginalized groups. I try to do so at every opportunity I get now.

Do you recommend any media/literature/movies/texts/narratives/profiles of LGBT physicians (or other health professionals) who either just happen to be LGBT or who are actively giving back/serving the LGBT community?
Many years ago, I came across a movie called The Doctor's Wife by Jonathan Duffy. It's a biographical story of a young gay doctor who decided to move to the countryside and continue his career there. He travels with his partner, and they film their experience during the whole journey. A quite positive story, I think you may like this.