Comfortable with age when completing medicine in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we know, in India, doctors with a completed residency are around 24-25 years old. Over here in the US, a doctors with a completed residency turn out to be 28-30+. Now, do Indians in America feel comfortable about this? Dont you think you will lose interest in getting married at around 30?

Members don't see this ad.

drox said:
As we know, in India, doctors with a completed residency are around 24-25 years old. Over here in the US, a doctors with a completed residency turn out to be 28-30+. Now, do Indians in America feel comfortable about this? Dont you think you will lose interest in getting married at around 30?

Who says we are interested in getting married around 30???? There is no rule that says what age you need to get married, or that you can't get married before you graduate from medical school....

Taking four years to get a bachelors degree has both professional and personal advantages that very few indians, from my experience, appreciate. I don't know why so many indians are in such a rush to cut ends and finish school as quickly as possible. School is about learning. Its not a race to the finish.

Members don't see this ad :)
brotherbu said:
Taking four years to get a bachelors degree has both professional and personal advantages that very few indians, from my experience, appreciate. I don't know why so many indians are in such a rush to cut ends and finish school as quickly as possible. School is about learning. Its not a race to the finish.

Pre-meds in secondary schools in India learn the equivalent of what pre-meds in US learn during their bachelors!!! :D

TheWowEffect said:
Pre-meds in secondary schools in India learn the equivalent of what pre-meds in US learn during their bachelors!!! :D

I must agree this is quite true. The same is true in Hong Kong and Singapore. Many things that North Americans learn in their BSc (at least the first 2 years' worth of materials) are actually taught in high school in Asia.

drox said:

At one point I cared about the marriage issue (I am not fob anymore )

But now I don't think about it

in short, don't know I am just moving along as of now
on the other hand, it felt stupid to worry about such a thing :laugh:

TheWowEffect said:

Umm...wow...you're showing how little you understand about what US students do learn in their bachelors. The thing is that US pre-meds learn very different things. Sure there are minimal pre-requisites to US medical schools, some of which I would not be surprised to be completed in Indian secondary schools. Nevertheless, saying that the two are equivalent is absurd. US college students can major in music, philosophy, physics, engineering, etc., and still go to medical school. The maturation that you get in diversifying both your coursework and experiences is what provides you advantages that, as I mentioned before, few Indians appreciate.

I am sure there is some valid arguments that can be made against what i just said, but your statement shows a true ignorance of what the US medical school system is all about.

I love coming to this forum, because it's like a parody of real life.

Why on earth would anyone "lose interest" in marriage at age 30? Honestly, that statement is so absurd that I'm not even going to get into deconstructing it.

Education should NEVER be viewed as an obstacle; it is a privilege. I can't think of any opportunity greater than the chance to learn.

dockdock said:
Why on earth would anyone "lose interest" in marriage at age 30? Honestly, that statement is so absurd that I'm not even going to get into deconstructing it.

If you truly believe what you've written here, then I'm sorry to say that you must have an extremely narrow viewpoint of those in the world around you.

How can you put yourself on a limb like that and speak for every single adult out there in the world and say that nobody loses interest in marriage at 30 years of age? Do you not realize that people get divorced all the time?

The general population has extremely varied tastes in all matters, including marriage. What if the woman in the relationship realizes she made a mistake (albiet, a big one) in that she married the wrong man? Or maybe she realizes a few years later that her husband is cheating on her with another woman? Or maybe the man realizes that he does not actually love the woman?

The tenacity you said that line with is what provoked me to post here and explain to you that your viewpoint is so narrow. Open up buddy and see the world around you.

megaman1x said:
If you truly believe what you've written here, then I'm sorry to say that you must have an extremely narrow viewpoint of those in the world around you.

How can you put yourself on a limb like that and speak for every single adult out there in the world and say that nobody loses interest in marriage at 30 years of age? Do you not realize that people get divorced all the time?

The general population has extremely varied tastes in all matters, including marriage. What if the woman in the relationship realizes she made a mistake (albiet, a big one) in that she married the wrong man? Or maybe she realizes a few years later that her husband is cheating on her with another woman? Or maybe the man realizes that he does not actually love the woman?

The tenacity you said that line with is what provoked me to post here and explain to you that your viewpoint is so narrow. Open up buddy and see the world around you.

If you married the right woman (and not in an arranged situation) that you love more than anything, these concerns shouldn't matter.

megaman1x said:

This argument makes no sense at all.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying that, yes, for some people, once you hit your 30th birthday, all of a sudden you completely lose interest in marriage? For example, a person is desperately trying to get married, for years and years, and it's his #1 interest, all the way up to the day before he turns 30....and then when he turns 30, that interest vanishes?

Or are you saying that only in my tiny part of America do people still get married past age 30? I've spent years abroad, and I've been places where people get married at age 15. Does that mean that those people would "miss the boat" if they waited til age 30?

I'm sorry, but if a person has a strong interest to get married while he's 26, there's no logical reason to say he'll have no interest to get married FOUR YEARS LATER.

And what does your "woman being cheated on" argument have to do with being 30 years old? Let's say this woman gets married at age 10 (many of you seem to think it's better to be as young as possible when married, since age is inversely proportional to interest in marriage, right? :rolleyes: ). And let's say her husband cheats on her for 20 years. So you're saying that this woman will say, "Well, my husband is actually not the right man for me, but I'm 30, so it's too late now to switch. I'll stay with him." I mean, COME ON!

Maybe you should open up your mind to some simple logic, "buddy."

I think I misunderstood your original post. Then you misunderstood my reply to that post.

When you said -

dockdock said:

I took it that you meant that after a woman and man get married (assume both are under 30 for this example), that you find it hard to believe it's impossible for them to fall out of love and thus have no desire to be married (before they hit 30).

What I was trying to say is that people can fall in and out of love at ANY age. The physical number 30 is irrelevant. I thought you were saying that "30 is such a young age, how could you possibly not want to get married" but I guess you weren't.

megaman1x said:
I think I misunderstood your original post. Then you misunderstood my reply to that post.

When you said -

I took it that you meant that after a woman and man get married (assume both are under 30 for this example), that you find it hard to believe it's impossible for them to fall out of love and thus have no desire to be married (before they hit 30).

What I was trying to say is that people can fall in and out of love at ANY age. The physical number 30 is irrelevant. I thought you were saying that "30 is such a young age, how could you possibly not want to get married" but I guess you weren't.

What the hell are you talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Rapper said:
I know we kind of got into it before, but I respectfully disagree somewhat with this statement. There are both pros and cons to arranged marriage. Also, I want to make it clear that when I say 'arranged marriage', I don't mean it in the fully traditional sense where you have not seen or do not know anything about the other person... I'm talking about the newer hybrid form that many people refer to as 'introduced' marriage... where you and your family try to find someone compatible with similar core characteristics and take the dating process from there. I believe the introduced marriage has many benefits that the Western 'love' marriage could potentially lack.

All this talk about a good marriage is well and dandy, but its getting besides the main point of this thread - the fact that it is absurd for the original poster to think that people will lose interest in getting married after 30, or that US doctors have to wait until their 30 to get married. Hopefully, everyone can agree upon that.

brotherbu said:
All this talk about a good marriage is well and dandy, but its getting besides the main point of this thread - the fact that it is absurd for the original poster to think that people will lose interest in getting married after 30, or that US doctors have to wait until their 30 to get married. Hopefully, everyone can agree upon that.
:thumbup:
Agreed.

brotherbu said:

The OP doesn't have uncles and aunties to bug him perhaps :laugh:

It is terrible ( i never sawanything like this in India infact) but here aunties are so concerned about this (I think it is cute in a way and amusing)

wait a minute....

what were we talking about? the right age to be a qualified doctor, or the right age to get married??

things are messing up here, i guess. it is our usual Indian thinking that one (atleast the male) must have Finished studies before getting married- but I dont think same should apply to those doing medicine. While doing the speciality studies, medics are being pid handsomely and it doesn't deter them- atleast economically- to get married at that time if they are INTERESTED, as we've been talking.

I've worked in Germany, where they have 13 years schooling, then 1 year military services and then graduate studies, later medicine and then specialization. While I was a Fellow in arthroplasty there at the age of 26, the Registrar there was somewhere aroound 34, but he had his Family straight for long.

brotherbu said:
Who says we are interested in getting married around 30???? There is no rule that says what age you need to get married, or that you can't get married before you graduate from medical school....

I agree 100%!

What are y'all talking about?? Marriage on this hallowed medical forum?? What is your drug of choice doctors - i gotta get me some so I can be thinking about pretty red saris instead of blood soaked red bandages. :D

Nowadays, people live a heck of a long time, taking some extra time for education that you want shouldn't be a problem. My parents encouraged me to go slow, especially since I have the relative financial security and educational and vocational opportunity here that they did not have in India. In India, it is a race really, especially if you do not have financial security. In the US, you take it slow, but you can do something good and grand in the end. Work gets rewarded here like in no other country.

EDIT: Oh yeah, arranged marriages structure it such that you do not need to worry about marriage at all, though this view really changes from person to person

Umm...wow...you're showing how little you understand about what US students do learn in their bachelors. The thing is that US pre-meds learn very different things. Sure there are minimal pre-requisites to US medical schools, some of which I would not be surprised to be completed in Indian secondary schools. Nevertheless, saying that the two are equivalent is absurd. US college students can major in music, philosophy, physics, engineering, etc., and still go to medical school. The maturation that you get in diversifying both your coursework and experiences is what provides you advantages that, as I mentioned before, few Indians appreciate.

I am sure there is some valid arguments that can be made against what i just said, but your statement shows a true ignorance of what the US medical school system is all about.
What tangible advantage does it provide? What you are saying sounds nothing more than a justification to me.

What tangible advantage does it provide? What you are saying sounds nothing more than a justification to me.

Beyond the maturation aspect, which is difficult to measure, certain other practical concerns measure into how the US system is setup.

In the past the breadth of career opportunities available to US students has been quite a bit greater than that available to high quality students in India. With the larger variety of choices one must have more time to experience and understand different opportunities prior to making a final decision. However with the growth of the Indian economy of late, this difference is likely to be reduced in the future.

In India one must make a decision regarding the career one will pursue early in their education, the problem with this is that at the decision point, the student often lacks the maturity and variety of experiences neccesary to make the decision, thus much of that decision is left to parental influence. US society is generally adverse to parental influence being the primary factor in what one does with their life (I'm not saying this is good or bad here, just the way I think it is).

Finally, from observing many Indian born physicians practicing in the US I have noticed that the lack of a complete undergraduate education makes them deficient in certain non medical areas of their careers (their medical expertise is more than adequate). In my experience, the formulation of written discourse and policy analysis is difficult for many of them, primarily because the Indian education system failed to train them in critical thinking with regard to areas other than medicine; this leaves the medical profession relatively inept in shaping policy, leaving the field to the mercy of career politicians and legal professionals. (This applies to many, but not all Indian trained physicians, some are quite competent in policy areas and over the course of their lives have obtained a great breadth of experience)

Physicians should be more than just individuals who treat patients, they should also serve as community leaders, striving to advance the healthcare system as well as society at large. A complete undergraduate education ensures that they truly are committed to their career path and are not there because of others as well as training them to serve society in a manner beyond the simple treatment of disease.

On the issue of lengthier residency training, I believe the competency benefits speak for themselves, hence the tendency of many Indian trained physicians to obtain such training.

Wingthing: Your sig quote makes me remember why I advocate disproportionate response; an eye for the aggressor's head.