Comfortable Shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this might be an odd topic but for pharmacists/intern who stand around 10-12 hours day who can't sit, do you have any recommendation for footwear? Brand? Compression stockings? I'd rather prevent any spider veins/back problems early on. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the Dr. Schols orthodic insoles are pretty good.

Nike Air Force Ones are the most comfortable pair of shoes of I've ever worn...I can stand in these all day!!!

Cole Haan with the nike insoles, I've been able to sprint to codes with these.

Reactions: 1 user

Cole Haan is on the pricey side. Rockports are just as comfortable if not more so, lighter, and they're quite a bit cheaper. Found a pair at Ross for $24.99!

Nice shoes, and nice modification with the Nike insoles, but with all due respect...does it even matter in a hospital? Retail is the feet killer.

Cole Haan is on the pricey side. Rockports are just as comfortable if not more so, lighter, and they're quite a bit cheaper. Found a pair at Ross for $24.99!

I like Rockport too...do they have ones without the shoelaces? Haven't worn those in ages.

Nice shoes, and nice modification with the Nike insoles, but with all due respect...does it even matter in a hospital? Retail is the feet killer.

This is true, but there are random days when I'm walking around and standing all day.

I used Rockports for years and loved them.

Same here. Although they're not the most stylish, they're great for when you have to be on your feet all day. When on the job, comfort >>> style.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Rockport too...do they have ones without the shoelaces? Haven't worn those in ages.

You mean loafers? Yes, I saw a pair at the stores, and although they'll set you back 60 to 70 dollars, they're still about half or a third of your Cole Haans. Slip-ons are great for when you're running late... for me, that's like every other day.

You mean loafers? Yes, I saw a pair at the stores, and although they'll set you back 60 to 70 dollars, they're still about half or a third of your Cole Haans. Slip-ons are great for when you're running late... for me, that's like every other day.

Exactly...once I went with slip ons, I never went back. I'm due for some new shoes soon, my Cole Haans have been straight up abused these last 2 years. I usually kill it with outlet deals though, never full price. I think the pair I have now I picked up for under $100.

Overwhelming support for Danskos. In fact thats what I see nurses usually wearing. However they are ugly. But as someone said before comfort>>>>style during work. Ain't nobody gonna see them anyways. Might be able to find a good deal on ebay as those shoes are pricey. I own a pair of Cole Haans, I get compliments all the time and it can be used for twerk and play.

I own a pair of Cole Haans, I get compliments all the time and it can be used for twerk and play.

Yeah that's why I wear Cole Haans...I routinely hit up happy hour after work (actually, I did this more as a student/resident vs. now), so it was nice looking like a haggard .com worker vs. Frumpy McGee hanging at the bar.

It's more about the insoles for me personally. There may be better/cheaper choices for different people, but I'm sold on the Walking Store's insoles. They are the only reason I go to the mall anymore.

Pretty pricey.

Exactly...once I went with slip ons, I never went back. I'm due for some new shoes soon, my Cole Haans have been straight up abused these last 2 years. I usually kill it with outlet deals though, never full price. I think the pair I have now I picked up for under $100.

2 years is a pretty short lifespan for those shoes. Try getting 3 pairs and rotating them throughout the week, as they'll last much longer that way. When you're not wearing them, put cedar shoe trees in them, as they'll help keep the shape, wick away moisture and increase the lifespan of your shoes. Also, when you're at Cole Haan, ask them for their plastic shoe horns (they give them for free when you buy their shoes) - those shoe horns will help you keep the heel backing of your shoes from getting scrunched over the years. You could easily double the lifespan of your shoes and save money in the long run by doing what I've mentioned. I have 4-year-old shoes that look almost brand new... 2 loafers and 1 oxford for me.

2 years is a pretty short lifespan for those shoes. Try getting 3 pairs and rotating them throughout the week, as they'll last much longer that way. When you're not wearing them, put cedar shoe trees in them, as they'll help keep the shape, wick away moisture and increase the lifespan of your shoes. Also, when you're at Cole Haan, ask them for their plastic shoe horns (they give them for free when you buy their shoes) - those shoe horns will help you keep the heel backing of your shoes from getting scrunched over the years. You could easily double the lifespan of your shoes and save money in the long run by doing what I've mentioned. I have 4-year-old shoes that look almost brand new... 2 loafers and 1 oxford for me.

Oh I know...money was tight and I wore these into the ground. I'll keep your advice in mind this week when it's replacement time.

I know nurses who always wear compression stockings and swear by them for preventing varicose veins. I think they know a thing or two about being on their feet all day, too...

I know nurses who always wear compression stockings and swear by them for preventing varicose veins. I think they know a thing or two about being on their feet all day, too...

I think that would be kind of cool...like a gnarly tattoo on my leg.

My nurse wife lives by Danskos but if you're like me and have big feet, they look ridiculous on you. I wear Sperrys, they make a nice business casual slip on and they are crazy comfortable. They use something like memory foam in the insert. $60.

A tattoo that turns into a painful, clot producing, cancerous section of skin with the occasional ulcer. Most varicose veins are just cosmetic, but there are good reasons not to want them.

You're no fun.

Reactions: 1 users