Comfort zone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7koukoua

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I'm an Ob/GYN resident (3rd year out of a 5 year program) and I'm facing quite a dilemma.
Right now I work in a relatively chill hospital. There's not much going on and I'm leading w comfortable life.
However, I don't even know if I can handle a busy night shift in other busy hospitals, and I feel I'm going too soft. I also feel that we need a minimum workflow to learn and to overcome fears when encoutering a problem or an emergency.
Should I step out of my comfort zone and try one of these busy hospitals? (for 6 months at least).
Give me your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
I'm an Ob/GYN resident (3rd year out of a 5 year program) and I'm facing quite a dilemma.
Right now I work in a relatively chill hospital. There's not much going on and I'm leading w comfortable life.
However, I don't even know if I can handle a busy night shift in other busy hospitals, and I feel I'm going too soft. I also feel that we need a minimum workflow to learn and to overcome fears when encoutering a problem or an emergency.
Should I step out of my comfort zone and try one of these busy hospitals? (for 6 months at least).
Give me your thoughts

I'm assuming you are not in the United States based on your program description.

Residency is generally not the time to be comfortable. Now is the time to challenge yourself under the supervision of your attendings and senior residents. In 2 years you are going to be an independently practicing physician . You should prepare yourself for this.

Hello
Yes I should've specified that I'm not from the USA. I am from Tunisia, and every semester we pick the hospital we're gonna work in.
Thank you for your answer, and I completely agree with you, I just needed encouraging. As we all know, comfort is very tempting, but as you said, not very helpful carreer wise.
Thanks again

Challenge yourself! I’m just a resident too but anonperson is totally right!