Combined neuro/radiology 7 year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only ones I can find are NYU and University of Wisconsin. Are there others?

Members don't see this ad.

Ooops... never mind. The Freida database now has it as one of their residencies that are listed. The programs are:

Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Wisconsin
NYU

Oh well. Does anyone know if these programs have any special focus on interventional? It seems like one might be better trained to do IR if you went the traditional route. A firm here in town just hired a guy to do all their neuro IR, and he has a rads residency plus one year of interventional and one year of neuroradiology (both fellowships).

The combined programs make you BC'd in radiology and neurology and, I believe CAQ'd in neuroradiology. The focus is certainly on neurointervention. The biggest concern for most people is not the lack of neurointervention (which is a relatively big component) but the abbreviated general radiology. (Of course, through careful study, you will pass the Boards; however, in practice you may not be as confident). The issue is that in most practices, you will have at least some general imaging work. Most people do not do this route to have a side-neurology clinic.

As for the other way (DR+Neuro+Neurointervention), this is pretty common among the people I have met who graduated in the last 5-10 years who want an academic job: 100% neuro. However, lately I have heard about people trying to do just the neuro-intervention part for 1 yr (and in some cases, doing CAQ body intevention for another year to become a whole-body interventionalist). I think the strong job market has made the fellowship scene a "buyers market" in some ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone tell how competetive are these combined neuro/neurorad/IR fellowships...esp from an IMG point of view..I have a background in Radiology in my own country..and am interested in neurorad preferably in an academic setting..If these programmes are as competetive as the traditional rad residencies then I think it makes more sense for me to apply to these places also....on the other hand if they are pretty tough to get into..its back to square one ..anyone with more info on these esp the competetiveness..and also anyone who is also interested in the same plz do PM me..
thanx

How competetive are these programmes?
Do IMG's stand any chance?
cheers!

I've been looking into these programs quite a bit over the last several months and have spoken to the program directors for each. FREIDA is not quite up-to-date, unfortunately.

Wisconsin has D/C'd their program for a variety of reasons.

Cleveland Clinic does not yet have formal approval for their program, though they do expect to receive that soon. They will send you an application but will NOT be doing any interviews until approval is done.

NYU and Hopkins are going very strong now. NYU has the best history with this unique program, though Hopkins' name and research $$$ puts them in a strong position as well.

As for selection, Hopkins does a weird thing where you go through the early Match in Neuro and then if you Match there, you are "transferred" into the combined program. Cleveland Clinic and NYU both select their residents from outside any Match.

Many of you may have heard about the "new rules" going into effect for the 2004 Match cycle (any institution with a single spot in a Match MUST put ALL their training slots through a Match). Well, I talked last weekend with the Director of the NRMP and explained some problems with this proposed system, especially in regards to these new combined residencies that have no Match. On Monday, the NRMP votes to hold off on implementing these new rules until all the kinks can be worked out.

So essentially, programs are free to extend offers outside the Matches for at least another year (for US seniors; IMGs and US grads who have already graduated have always had the advantages of getting slots outside of Matches, which is what these "new rules" were designed to balance).

As for the combined programs, all three program directors seem to be in agreement that this track is for folks dedicated to hard-core academic research. They have all been very nice to speak with so far.

That's about it. Hope the info helps.....

Thanx ,but again ure reply doesnt answer the query regarding how competetive these specialities are in comparison to regular rads residencies...more so as regards to IMG's..Common sense tells me they should be more so,becoz of less number of spots..but is it like that??
anyway appreciate all the feedback.

pikeyton --

I'm sorry if my lengthy response did not explicitly answer your question. I did however believe that one could have easily seen that nugget of information you seek....

Again, these combined programs are designed only for those hard-core future academicians planning to pursue a life of research. From many comments I've read over the months on this board, it is clear that many (most?) people heading into radiology do so for the big $$$, 2-3 months vacation each year, short days, etc.

As none of the above describe the life of one who would leave one of the combined programs, it seems clear that only a relatively small percentage of those into radiology would seriously consider a lengthy 7-year track like this. Therefore, the relative competitiveness should be decreased, though the absolute competitiveness due to 5-6 total slots remains high.

As for the IMG issue, any hypercompetitive environment means a harder track for IMGs. However, many IMGs I know have considerable research experience. I seriously doubt anyone (US or IMG) would stand much of a chance in nabbing a slot in one of the three combined programs without an impressive research background.

So, while all this could have been inferred from my previous post, I hope making this explicit helps you out a bit more.

hi Adawaal,

I have a background in Rads in my home country..As far as research is concerned, the less said the better.:rolleyes:
I guess I might as well kiss goodbye to these programmes.
Thanx again and much appreciated.