combined heme/onc-critical care fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunset823

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I know that you can do critical care by itself after IM (though it's rare to do without the pulm), and I also know that it can be done after another fellowship (such as ID), but has anyone ever heard of someone trained in both heme/onc and critical care? I'm on the ICU now and absolutely love it (though the pulm part, not so much), but I especially enjoy (well, if that's the right word) the patients with metastatic cancers presenting with things like respiratory failure or pericardial effusion - these cases are fascinating to me. I'm not a fan of outpatient medicine, and though I have a lot of interest in cancer, would prefer to work with cancer patients in an inpatient setting.

Anyway, anybody ever heard of this being done, and would I ever be able to get a job with that combo? I'm still an M3 yet to apply in internal medicine, so I know this is premature, but I just am wondering if my passions are way out of left field. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I know that you can do critical care by itself after IM (though it's rare to do without the pulm), and I also know that it can be done after another fellowship (such as ID), but has anyone ever heard of someone trained in both heme/onc and critical care? I'm on the ICU now and absolutely love it (though the pulm part, not so much), but I especially enjoy (well, if that's the right word) the patients with metastatic cancers presenting with things like respiratory failure or pericardial effusion - these cases are fascinating to me. I'm not a fan of outpatient medicine, and though I have a lot of interest in cancer, would prefer to work with cancer patients in an inpatient setting.

Anyway, anybody ever heard of this being done, and would I ever be able to get a job with that combo? I'm still an M3 yet to apply in internal medicine, so I know this is premature, but I just am wondering if my passions are way out of left field. lol

I'd have to track it down, but IIRC, ABIM allows you to sit eligible for crit care boards with a single focused year after initial fellowship training in one of the ABIM fellowships where you may encounter critically ill patients. Though, that would be kind of a long road if you only like the inpatient side of oncology.

I'd have to track it down, but IIRC, ABIM allows you to sit eligible for crit care boards with a single focused year after initial fellowship training in one of the ABIM fellowships where you may encounter critically ill patients. Though, that would be kind of a long road if you only like the inpatient side of oncology.

I don't really care about length of training - sure, I'd like to make real money faster, but I'm of the mind that if you love getting up in the morning that's what matters more - besides, it's a total of 7 years, which is the same as, say, interventional cards or some surgery programs. And I do like ICU medicine in general, not just cancer, I could see myself doing some ICU shifts and doing heme/onc (inpatient or clinic) the rest of the time.

Thanks for the info though!

I don't really care about length of training - sure, I'd like to make real money faster, but I'm of the mind that if you love getting up in the morning that's what matters more - besides, it's a total of 7 years, which is the same as, say, interventional cards or some surgery programs. And I do like ICU medicine in general, not just cancer, I could see myself doing some ICU shifts and doing heme/onc (inpatient or clinic) the rest of the time.

Thanks for the info though!

If I'm reading this correctly. As long as you take care of patients in an ICU during your sub-specialty fellowship training, you can do 12 more months of critical care training and be eligible for boards.