Combined DVM/PhD Dual Degree Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbcarrier4

NCSU C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking into the DVM/PhD track for the majority of my undergraduate career and just received word today that I have been invited to interview! I have scoured SDN for more information about the interview process but a lot of it is outdated. Has anyone gone through the process that can help answer some questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have been looking into the DVM/PhD track for the majority of my undergraduate career and just received word today that I have been invited to interview! I have scoured SDN for more information about the interview process but a lot of it is outdated. Has anyone gone through the process that can help answer some questions?
Probably depends on which school you're talking about but I think

@supershorty is doing one at Minnesota

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
@vbcarrier4 Where did you here back from? I also have been searching the forum, and agree that most information is from years ago. So far I've only gotten an DVM/PhD interview invite from VMCVM (IS). I also got a DVM interview invite from UPenn today, but no mention of the dual degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
@vbcarrier4 Where did you here back from? I also have been searching the forum, and agree that most information is from years ago. So far I've only gotten an DVM/PhD interview invite from VMCVM (IS). I also got a DVM interview invite from UPenn today, but no mention of the dual degree.
Dual program from UPenn was sent out Dec 15th last year FYI. Separate from VMD interviews

@Balesofhay Thanks for the info. The dual email was also separate and sent a few days later for VMCVM, but its still nerve racking waiting to hear!

Do you both mind sharing your stats? I was just curious. I didn't get an interview for DVM/PhD

Probably depends on which school you're talking about but I think

@supershorty is doing one at Minnesota

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Yes! Not sure how much help I can be because the 3 duallies in my class all had very different styles of interview, but I'll answer whatever questions I can.

@Lupin21 is also a dual degree student.

Last edited:
I got an invitation from NCSU!
@krs724 my stats:

Vet (clinical) experience: ~530 small animal, ~70 equine, ~55 exotic
Animal experience: ~100 SPCA (small animal), ~30 dairy unit (large animal), ~50 arthropods at science museum, labs involving animals
Research experience: 400 NIEHS, 250 Biotech Dept., ~100 Poultry Science Dept., ~100 Immunopharmacology Dept.
GRE: 66% quant, 73% verbal, 60% writing
GPA: 3.8
Extracurriculars: Several leadership positions in Pre-Vet and Zoology Clubs, chair for APVMA Symposium, Resident Advisor for 2 years

I got an invitation from NCSU!
@krs724 my stats:

Vet (clinical) experience: ~530 small animal, ~70 equine, ~55 exotic
Animal experience: ~100 SPCA (small animal), ~30 dairy unit (large animal), ~50 arthropods at science museum, labs involving animals
Research experience: 400 NIEHS, 250 Biotech Dept., ~100 Poultry Science Dept., ~100 Immunopharmacology Dept.
GRE: 66% quant, 73% verbal, 60% writing
GPA: 3.8
Extracurriculars: Several leadership positions in Pre-Vet and Zoology Clubs, chair for APVMA Symposium, Resident Advisor for 2 years

Congrats! That must mean you were already accepted into the DVM program, right? I’m a bit bummed because I applied there as well... I think I may have had a prerequisite issue so they might have not considered me all together (I tried to pass off a regular nutrition class as the animal nutrition req). Should find out soon enough since decision notices are supposed to be around the corner.

@OGCatLady Congrats to you too getting two interviews! I am IS for NCSU and I actually have no idea if I already have a spot for the DVM program (I'm trying to ask around, but no straight answer yet).
The nutrition requirement has to be animal based, but I feel they should have notified you earlier on if you were disqualified for not meeting the requirement.

Congrats! That must mean you were already accepted into the DVM program, right? I’m a bit bummed because I applied there as well... I think I may have had a prerequisite issue so they might have not considered me all together (I tried to pass off a regular nutrition class as the animal nutrition req). Should find out soon enough since decision notices are supposed to be around the corner.
@OGCatLady Congrats to you too getting two interviews! I am IS for NCSU and I actually have no idea if I already have a spot for the DVM program (I'm trying to ask around, but no straight answer yet).
The nutrition requirement has to be animal based, but I feel they should have notified you earlier on if you were disqualified for not meeting the requirement.
At this point though couldn't you enroll in an online animal nutrition and take it if accepted and you'd be all good?

At this point though couldn't you enroll in an online animal nutrition and take it if accepted and you'd be all good?
I actually just went and checked the initial email saying they received all my application materials, and it does say if you do not meet the requirements you will be notfied prior to file reviews. I never got a notification so hopefully that’s a good thing? I would definitely sign up for a spring online class if it means an acceptance. Just have to wait and see I guess. Alternatively, I could just be rejected because of my stats and it has nothing to do with the prereq lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on going for a dual degree! What area of research are you interested in?

@Lupin21 is also a dual degree student.
Okstate is different - you enroll as a regular veterinary student and can get enrolled as a dual degree if you're interested in research during your second year. I don't think either of us can help you with DVM/PhD interviews, unfortunately :(

Congrats on going for a dual degree! What area of research are you interested in?

Okstate is different - you enroll as a regular veterinary student and can get enrolled as a dual degree if you're interested in research during your second year. I don't think either of us can help you with DVM/PhD interviews, unfortunately :(

I'm interested in zoonotic and wildlife disease research (with particular interest in parasitology because of my background). Got a rejection from UPenn this weekend for the dual degree program. Getting nervous about my chances anywhere OOS now... Does anyone know if the likelihood of getting accepted increases after entering a DVM program and applying during your first or second year?

I'm interested in zoonotic and wildlife disease research (with particular interest in parasitology because of my background). Got a rejection from UPenn this weekend for the dual degree program. Getting nervous about my chances anywhere OOS now... Does anyone know if the likelihood of getting accepted increases after entering a DVM program and applying during your first or second year?

I heard from my advisor that she knew of a decision between an undergrad and a master's student. Ultimately, the master's student was chosen for the DVM/PhD even though the undergrad was also very qualified. I think being in a DVM program/graduate program certainly gives you more experience and probably connects you to important people and that would give you an edge over the competition.

I think I may have to do it that way, or maybe even do both degrees sequentially... Decisions haven't been going in my favor as of late, unfortunately. :unsure:

I think I may have to do it that way, or maybe even do both degrees sequentially... Decisions haven't been going in my favor as of late, unfortunately. :unsure:
Same. Currently doing my masters. Not sure if I want to go to PhD, DVM or just straight to industry

I have applied for vet school and hope to apply for the dual DVM/PhD program as well. I have already spoken with the heads of both programs and the have you wait until you have been accepted into the DVM program before applying for the PhD program at UT. Now I just have to wait until after my interview to find out if the first part of that plan will work.

Has anyone gone through a dual degree interview and can give some advice? My VMCVM interview is this weekend, and it sounds like there is a breakfast with current students, the interview, and then a lunch with prospective mentors. What I am worried about is whether I need to know all the mentors and their research projects (since there is more 12-14 of them), or just the people I am interested in potentially working with? I don't want to make bad impression, but I am also don't know if I can mentally withhold that much information, since I also have to make sure I don't sound like an idiot when talking about my own research experience...

Has anyone gone through a dual degree interview and can give some advice? My VMCVM interview is this weekend, and it sounds like there is a breakfast with current students, the interview, and then a lunch with prospective mentors. What I am worried about is whether I need to know all the mentors and their research projects (since there is more 12-14 of them), or just the people I am interested in potentially working with? I don't want to make bad impression, but I am also don't know if I can mentally withhold that much information, since I also have to make sure I don't sound like an idiot when talking about my own research experience...

If there are that many of them, no, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with all of their work. What you could do is look up what general area they work in - but if it's a big lunch group like that, the point isn't whether you can memorize all the details about everyone who is there.

Thanks, that is reassuring. I just got awful family news, and will be coming straight from a funeral to attend this interview, so now I am just worried about getting in the right mind space more than anything else... :(

For anyone curious about NCSU's combined degree program interview process now and in future years:

• Start off in the morning with 5 half hour interviews with faculty members. I heard from current students in past application cycles they had the opportunity to ask for faculty they wanted to speak to.
  • You have to create a 15 minute presentation about yourself and a past research project to present.
  • This year, there were 6 finalists for 1-2 spots. In extreme cases they take 3.
  • It usually takes about 2 weeks after interviews for decisions to be made.
  • The combined program is separate from the DVM only portion! One of the finalists was waitlisted for the DVM only!
  • At NC State, you can also apply after your second year of DVM for the combined degree, you just won't get funding for your already completed years.

Hi All! I wanted to bump this thread again. I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from the programs to which I applied and wanted to see if anyone else has heard back from the dual programs that they applied to yet?

So I interviewed 1/12 and was told the decision would come back in 2 weeks. It's been 3 weeks and I have not heard anything so far