Combat Search and Rescue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnich1914

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if physicians in military aviation medicine were allowed to perform flight surgeon duties in a combat zone or do they only attend to primary care, please give examples if possible. Also do you guys have any info on the Air Force SOST Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, was wondering if physicians in military aviation medicine were allowed to perform flight surgeon duties in a combat zone or do they only attend to primary care, please give examples if possible. Also do you guys have any info on the Air Force SOST Thanks

I can answer for air force, since that's what I'm thinking you're talking about referencing CSAR and SOST.

Not sure of your level of training, but first, flight surgeon is a title...they perform no surgery. Various docs perform medicine near combat zones, but few get close to combat, it's usually medics in the field (each branch has their own flavor medic), then medics on medevac or crew on casevac who get injured to the doctor. Look up role 1, role 2, etc to see where physicians come in.

As a physician you are more useful at a medical facility rather than on patrol or in a rotary wing going out to get people.

Combat search and rescue is a specific mission (at least in the AF) of a rescue squadron. The rescue and medicine portion is completed by PJs. The flight surgeon assigned to them ensures their medical proficiency white at their home station and provides tele-consult during missions, but they arent out on the HH-60 on missions.

SOST is unique, I know some folks in it. It's a crazy life. They deploy a lot, train a lot (often away from home). They have a cool mission, but often just sit around and wait for potential use even while deployed. While at home they train and practice in their specialty. ED docs, general surgeons, anesthesia or CRNA and OR staff.

It's pretty much an enlisted job. Physicians are mostly in the rear with the gear.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a flight surgeon, flew about 400 missions over two deployments with MEDEVAC on UH-60's- mostly point of injury- and CASEVAC on CH-47's. This was not typical but stuff like this can be done.

We were co-located with USAF PEDRO and their flight docs mostly trained the PJ's but I think they did get some blade time now and again.

Their was a guy on here, wandering doc something or other who was a FS for the USAF special forces squadron down at Hurlburt, he'd be a good point of contact.

Hurlbert replaced their 53s with Ospreys. Some of the 53s were so old they had bullet holes in them from Vietnam.