Combank or USMLErx during OMS2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brahventus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my goal is 600+ on complex I, would it be more worthwhile to spend time on a qbank aimed towards comlex i.e. COMBANK? I am deciding what to use before UWORLD during dedicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Usmlerx Qs are worth going through and spending time on, learning FA by and gaining a good first layer of board prep.
COMBANK Qs are generally not worth that level of time commitment. Use the OPP Qs and run the other Qs quickly, but they're not really recommended for board prep

Members don't see this ad :)
Combank claims to be the best osteopathic Q bank available. Its really unfortunate how many errors there are throughout the Q bank though. Suggestions and student feedback must not mean that much to them as the feedback would sort out or make it a better Q bank overall.
Complaints:
1. Explanations don't always match up. ex. explanations will explain different values than what the question used, and then use those numbers to explain the answer choices.
2. Incorrect spelling
3. Resources cited don't link.
4. Links go to uptodate, which students would have to pay for and then at times it says uptodate and instead links out to some other source.
5. Some answers are just flat wrong and can be easily verified incorrect with a quick search.

Best part about Combank is the statistics software used and the variety of questions that you see on there vs Uworld.

I enjoy using Combank overall, but I wanted other user opinions. I feel as if the bank is not worth its price being that when you buy Uworld for around the same price, you get a perfect question bank with invaluable explanations. Combank is just not up to par with other leading q banks. I hope writing this with other user input, will stimulate it to try and become better than what it is currently. It could be tremendously better with some mild polishing touches.

I got an email from comank saying there's been some updates to the omm section. Anybody know if the q's got harder?
OMM questions don't get harder, they just ask the same thing in more convoluted ways.

Reactions: 2 users
OMM questions don't get harder, they just ask the same thing in more convoluted ways.
sounds like OMM. now stop sdn'ning and get your distal nasal eminence back in the books. thats OMM speak for nose

Reactions: 1 users
What's wrong with Combank? I think their questions are similar to FA.
What is wrong with Combank is that they do not reference items like First Aid USMLE Rx does, not that USMLE Rx is the best source either. Their questions often are sub par, repeated, and sometimes simply incorrect. You pay the same price almost for Combank that you would for Uworld and get less than half of a decent product. Questions are vague, rather similar to the Comlex step 1, but then you should have specific details explaining how to achieve the correct answer even on top of the vagueness. They reference old step 1 and step 2 First Aid books (which has mistakes and most students do not know that every year you should review the corrections section online put out by First Aid), or it references UpToDate which students have to pay for by subscription. I could go on and on but unfortunately its the best osteopathic q bank that we have, which unfortunately looks very poor on our profession being that this is the best we have. I cringe at paying for Combank for Step 2, but yet again its the best we have. The OMM questions are simple in comparison to Step 1 questions in my opinion. You will need much better comprehension of OMM on the actual test.

What is wrong with Combank is that they do not reference items like First Aid USMLE Rx does, not that USMLE Rx is the best source either. Their questions often are sub par, repeated, and sometimes simply incorrect. You pay the same price almost for Combank that you would for Uworld and get less than half of a decent product. Questions are vague, rather similar to the Comlex step 1, but then you should have specific details explaining how to achieve the correct answer even on top of the vagueness. They reference old step 1 and step 2 First Aid books (which has mistakes and most students do not know that every year you should review the corrections section online put out by First Aid), or it references UpToDate which students have to pay for by subscription. I could go on and on but unfortunately its the best osteopathic q bank that we have, which unfortunately looks very poor on our profession being that this is the best we have. I cringe at paying for Combank for Step 2, but yet again its the best we have. The OMM questions are simple in comparison to Step 1 questions in my opinion. You will need much better comprehension of OMM on the actual test.

Not a DO student, but I did some COMBANK questions (around 200)... I do agree that a lot of their questions are simple and require rote memorization. USMLE-Rx has similar type of questions, but most require one to do an extra step to answer them.

Last edited:
I would definitely go with USMLE-Rx. Save Combank for when you have nothing left to do! It's not a great learning tool like Rx and UW, just good to familiarize yourself w/ Comlex style questions and of course, OMM.

COMBANK gets my vote for worst boards resource in the game. It's littered with incorrect explanations, statements that are "low yield" and poorly explained, lack of explanations for "high yield topics", repeated questions with different answers each time (LOL), and quite frankly if you only do COMBANK you'll be grossly underprepared for boards. In stark contrast, doing UWORLD actually teaches you science, whereas COMBANK is so vague and non-specific that you could do the entire Q-BANK and still know nothing. It's garbage

Reactions: 1 user