Columbia vs. UPENN vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mferronibc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and would like to ask if anyone has any insights on how these three program stack up against each other. I have applied to all three and from what i have read here and fairly confident about being accepted, but i really have no idea how to evaluate their reputations and which will carry most weight in applying to med school. All seem to have equal selectivity and success rates. Can anyone comment on any of these programs individually or collectively?

Thanks,
Matt

Members don't see this ad.

mferronibc said:
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and would like to ask if anyone has any insights on how these three program stack up against each other. I have applied to all three and from what i have read here and fairly confident about being accepted, but i really have no idea how to evaluate their reputations and which will carry most weight in applying to med school. All seem to have equal selectivity and success rates. Can anyone comment on any of these programs individually or collectively?

Thanks,
Matt

Don't trust COlumbia's acceptance figures or stats. They are based on outgoing administration's poorly collected and compiled data. Not that you won't get in, but don't trust their 93% acceptance figure. It is BULLCRAP!

If you go to columbia, which I probably wouldn't again. Try to speed it up into 2 summers and one year. No reason to waste so much time there (two years).

Good Luck

From your list it looks like you want to do the private school route, but if you want to save some money and have a much friendlier and supportive experience, I would HIGHLY recommend Hunter College in NY. I did my postbacc there and just finished my first year at an Ivy med school. Hunter has linkage programs with Stonybrook and Cornell, is VASTLY cheaper than any private school, and has a really supportive, non-competitive environment among the students. If you want to check out more about it, I'd recommend joining the yahoo group for the post-bacc group there, and reading the 'guide' that comes with signing up (and is available on the site). I'm pretty sure you could still register for Fall at this point.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc

Good luck!

mferronibc said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Matt

I would agree. My undergrad advisor told me that he's heard from alumn who have done columbia that it's very large and the best feature of the program is the school's name. I also believe that the acceptance figures are slightly inflated. I've heard that they only count those students that have a committee letter written for them, which is only a portion of the students who have a certain gpa...so it's really 93% of kids who apply with 3.5 gpa's or something similar; just an example....i dont know much about tufts...penn is very successful and smaller than columbia. My impression has been that Bryn Mawr is the best program overall but i'm sure very competitive. I also agree that Hunter College is an excellent option. Students seem supporive, friendly, and bright. Maybe go visit each or read more on their websites?

RogueRules said:
From your list it looks like you want to do the private school route, but if you want to save some money and have a much friendlier and supportive experience, I would HIGHLY recommend Hunter College in NY. I did my postbacc there and just finished my first year at an Ivy med school. Hunter has linkage programs with Stonybrook and Cornell, is VASTLY cheaper than any private school, and has a really supportive, non-competitive environment among the students. If you want to check out more about it, I'd recommend joining the yahoo group for the post-bacc group there, and reading the 'guide' that comes with signing up (and is available on the site). I'm pretty sure you could still register for Fall at this point.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc

Good luck!