Columbia vs UC Berkeley 1 year MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrynth79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm a med student right now, planning on completing my one year MPH between the 3rd/4th year. I've been accepted to the MPH programs at Columbia and UC Berkeley, waitlisted at Harvard. I really would like to attend Harvard since the International Health program fits so well for me, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Quesiton is: Columbia or Berkeley? Has anyone heard much of either program? I heard not-so-great reviews of Cal's 1-year program from a friend that just completed it, and AspiringDoctor9 didn't make Columbia seem appealing either.

I need to figure things out. Any ideas? I'm helpless at the moment. I thought that Cal was my number one choice for a long time (I'm an alum - Go Bears!), but now i'm thinking that I should get out of California for a year.

Please help!!

Thanks,
labrynth79

Members don't see this ad.

labrynth79 said:
Hey all!

I'm a med student right now, planning on completing my one year MPH between the 3rd/4th year. I've been accepted to the MPH programs at Columbia and UC Berkeley, waitlisted at Harvard. I really would like to attend Harvard since the International Health program fits so well for me, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Quesiton is: Columbia or Berkeley? Has anyone heard much of either program? I heard not-so-great reviews of Cal's 1-year program from a friend that just completed it, and AspiringDoctor9 didn't make Columbia seem appealing either.

I need to figure things out. Any ideas? I'm helpless at the moment. I thought that Cal was my number one choice for a long time (I'm an alum - Go Bears!), but now i'm thinking that I should get out of California for a year.

Please help!!

Thanks,
labrynth79

Hihi!

I hope my review of Columbia didn't discourage you too much, because I think you're in a very different situation than most of the other people I met there. About half of my 8 points don't apply to you, since you're also going to be an MD. Finding a job won't be an issue, so the lack of career planning won't affect you. Also you're not directionless like many others I met, etc. Many of the happiest people at Columbia were the people who were already medical students - they had a solid vision of their future and were much more optimistic than the others there (as a general rule).

I think if you don't mind the crampt dorm space and expensive cost of living in NYC, Columbia might be a good choice for you if you want to leave Cali for awhile. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Thanks, AspiringDoctor9, for your advice. At that time, I had decided on Berkeley over Columbia (many reasons). However, in the end, I was accepted to Harvard's program, so I will be attending there this September.

Wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
labrynth79 said:
Thanks, AspiringDoctor9, for your advice. At that time, I had decided on Berkeley over Columbia (many reasons). However, in the end, I was accepted to Harvard's program, so I will be attending there this September.

Wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. :)

Congratz! I'm an HSPH alum myself and can't say enough good things about the program. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. :)

I had to choose b/t cal and columbia. in the end the private tuition to go to columbia wasnt worth it.