Columbia Post-Bac Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4thCupofCoffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post on here. I graduated in 2012 with a bachelors in English literature (GPA of 3.5) from a state school in Washington. I completed an associates degree (GPA 0f 2.7, yikes) before transferring. Since graduating I worked in Spain as a teaching assistant for a year and am now fluent in Spanish. I decided teaching wasn't for me and changed to technical writing.

I come from a low income family with substance abuse problems. This is a major reason why my grades suffered. However, I'm now emotionally stable, happy as ever, and determined to study medicine. This was my childhood dream but my family and I never thought I could hack it. Ideally, I'd like to end up in psychiatry.

What are my chances of getting into Columbia's postbac program? My combined GPA is about 3.2, more or less. I also studied abroad twice. Doubt that matters but I'd like to present myself as a multifaceted person who can pull through if admitted, because that's how I currently feel about myself.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with gonnif - I have lot of friends who did Columbia's postbacc program and say that it really is cutthroat. If you make it through, you're in amazing shape, but you also have a very high likelihood of ruining your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia also keeps tight control over who is eligible for a committee letter by making high GPA cut offs. With its reputation, not having a Columbia committee letter is a big red flag. Thus, Columbia somewhat inflates its acceptance rate by effectively preventing weaker candidates from applying

I suggest student consider these factors when choosing a program

Thank you for the response. Do you mean that they have GPA cut-offs for the Post-Bac GPA or my undergrad record? It would seem ridiculous to hold back on recommendation for my undergraduate record if they let me in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with gonnif - I have lot of friends who did Columbia's postbacc program and say that it really is cutthroat. If you make it through, you're in amazing shape, but you also have a very high likelihood of ruining your chances.

+1 gonnif and WedgeDawg.

Very expensive program which provides little/no support once you've begun unless you're one of the top students.

Committee letters are also withheld if the dean believes your MCAT is not competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 gonnif and WedgeDawg.

Very expensive program which provides little/no support once you've begun unless you're one of the top students.

Committee letters are also withheld if the dean believes your MCAT is not competitive.

Damn. That's rough.

What kind of GPA do you think they want for a committee letter?

I've read that there is a lot of support and a great sense of community there including clubs and lots of organized study groups. Lots of mixed signals.

Can either of you recommend a different program? I don't want to go over 2 years but I am* willing to pay a big price.

Damn. That's rough.

I've read that there is a lot of support and a great sense of community there including clubs and lots of organized study groups. Lots of mixed signals.

Can either of you recommend a different program? I don't want to go over 2 years but I am* willing to pay a big price.

I have a classmate who did the Columbia post-bacc, and know a few others who went that route, and they all agree it wasn't really worth it. It is a tough program to get through - there are plenty of others out there that will get you where you want to go without the risk of tanking your chances by missing out on a committee letter or other means of support.

There's a similar cut throat attitude in the general undergrad premed program, so I suppose it's not surprising it seeps over into the post-bacc too.

There's a subforum specifically for post-bacc programs; I'd suggest you check that out to gather more info on programs before investing years/$$. If you're willing to move, there are plenty of options out there.

Damn. That's rough.

Brandeis and Tufts in MA have strong post-bacc programs with a low (ish) cost of living. Lower COL at Brandeis.

It is a tough program to get through - there are plenty of others out there that will get you where you want to go without the risk of tanking your chances by missing out on a committee letter or other means of support.

There's a similar cut throat attitude in the general undergrad premed program, so I suppose it's not surprising it seeps over into the post-bacc too.

Thanks for the response. What about the program is so cut throat? I assumed most of the programs would be like this and figured I'd sort of "check out" of that mindset. I'm not trying to beat anyone except myself.

I suppose I'm attracted to Columbia's program because the payout could be big for the ivy league school. Personally I don't think the school's name matters all that much but other people do.

In you are in New York, I like the Hunter Program

I'm in Washington state but over it. I'm so bored of my life here.
I don't even have family here.

San Fransisco and NYC is where my family lives. I considered Mills because I'd have family support.

Does anybody know anything about Mills?

+1 gonnif and WedgeDawg.

Thanks for the response.

I understand that the program is cutthroat but what exactly entails a "top student" in the post bac? I am imagining a 4.0 and 37 MCAT. Is this what you're saying?

it may be the most cut throat of all postbacc programs and i have seen it chew up more nontrads thinking the Columbia name will be their ticket but it actually destroys their chances. Part of the reason it has a significant number of high achieving Ivy league graduates and others who simply have saved prereqs for the postbacc. You are not just competing against others who are trying to improve but top students from other fields. Columbia also keeps tight control over who is eligible for a committee letter by making high GPA cut offs. With its reputation, not having a Columbia committee letter is a big red flag. Thus, Columbia somewhat inflates its acceptance rate by effectively preventing weaker candidates from applying

I suggest student consider these factors when choosing a program

Wow, and this isn't even actual medschool selectively we're talking about it. This is just a bridging program. This whole getting into medschool process sucks.

OP can also look into Wash. U's postbac. Very supportive environment. Obviously, Wash U has a good name although I'm not sure how it's viewed in the realm of post-bacs. I just finished it and plenty of students are successful each app cycle including myself.

Last edited:
Wow, and this isn't even actual medschool selectively we're talking about it. This is just a bridging program. This whole getting into medschool process sucks.

Yes, agreed. It's pretty terrifying. I'm not sure what this "cut-off" is though. In college I was an athlete and waitressed to pay for life-things. I was incredibly busy and under way too much stress so some of my grades slipped. I think most people in my situation, at that time, would have reacted the same. When I do a postbac I won't be working. I feel like this has got to make a difference in grades. So if the "cut-off" is, say, a 3.6-3.7 then that would be okay.

Does this make sense to anybody?

Yes, agreed. It's pretty terrifying. I'm not sure what this "cut-off" is though. In college I was an athlete and waitressed to pay for life-things. I was incredibly busy and under way too much stress so some of my grades slipped. I think most people in my situation, at that time, would have reacted the same. When I do a postbac I won't be working. I feel like this has got to make a difference in grades. So if the "cut-off" is, say, a 3.6-3.7 then that would be okay.

Nevermind, I got a response.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also edited my initial post to you. See above.

That and having 100+ hospital volunteering & research experience. I have not been well connected to this program for sometime but 5-10 years ago,
A 3.8 GPA, a 36 MCAT, 100+ hospital experience and research was the average student who completed the program and/or applied to medical school.

Holy hell.

That's incredible.

Hmm...

OP can also look into Wash. U's postbac. Very supportive environment. Obviously, Wash U has a good name although I'm not sure how it's viewed in the realm of post-bacs. I just finished it and plenty of students are successful each app cycle including myself.

Washington U?

In St. Louis?

Washington U?

In St. Louis?

Yep. Pretty solid program. It's a almost a do-it-yourself, take what you need type but they keep their post-bacs in the loop about a lot of things. Worth looking into, I'd say.

I'm in Washington state but over it. I'm so bored of my life here.
I don't even have family here.

San Fransisco and NYC is where my family lives. I considered Mills because I'd have family support.

Does anybody know anything about Mills?
San francisco state University has a postbac premed program. I've heard mostly good things about it from friends who were in it.

I was accepted to both the Mills and Columbia programs, but didn't go because I couldn't afford either of them. If I were in your shoes, I'd look very closely at how much each program is going to cost and where the funding will come from. Since these programs aren't degree programs (they're certificates), you won't qualify for as much federal aid as you otherwise would in a normal degree program. You may need private loans which require good credit and sufficient income. But maybe things have changed since I applied many years ago...

Should there be ANY cutoff? Do they do the cutoff for the benefit of the student? Or do they do it to limit those who actually apply to medical school so to make their acceptance rate higher and make their $50,000 program more attractive?

+1

Hi there, this is my first post on here. I graduated in 2012 with a bachelors in English literature (GPA of 3.5) from a state school in Washington. I completed an associates degree (GPA 0f 2.7, yikes) before transferring. Since graduating I worked in Spain as a teaching assistant for a year and am now fluent in Spanish. I decided teaching wasn't for me and changed to technical writing.

I come from a low income family with substance abuse problems. This is a major reason why my grades suffered. However, I'm now emotionally stable, happy as ever, and determined to study medicine. This was my childhood dream but my family and I never thought I could hack it. Ideally, I'd like to end up in psychiatry.

What are my chances of getting into Columbia's postbac program? My combined GPA is about 3.2, more or less. I also studied abroad twice. Doubt that matters but I'd like to present myself as a multifaceted person who can pull through if admitted, because that's how I currently feel about myself.

Any advice is appreciated!

Hi,

I am a Columbia postbac and here is the breakdown in my experience:

-Most classes are curved to a B-/C+. Very few get As and you will know who they are very early in the process. You will know who is struggling and who is faking it too. It is a small community at a large university.

-GChem and Physics are workable. Did not experience too much competition even though I could have done better. I also worked full time.

-Labs for GChem, Orgo and Bio are 3 credits each and they come with lecture. These are significant time consuming courses.

-After your first two semester, your adviser will evaluate your profile. If you had two consecutive semesters with a GPA below 3.0 or 2 C- on requirement courses, they will let you know you are no longer eligible for committee support. You can appeal decisions if you have real reasons that evidence extenuating circumstances. I believe this has changed. My class was very vocal about the ridiculous rules in place and they might have changed things a bit for good.

-During the Orgo/Bio year, the only biology course that made you eligible for committee letter was Prof. Mowshowitz Bio. This Bio course is very notorious for being the gate-keeper at Columbia for postbacs and undergrad premed. Its a great class and the professor is a great lecturer but many do not make it. Emails are sent right before the withdrawal deadline to notify those who under performed on the first midterm, suggesting to retake the course at another time. For me, I was always in the average, which meant that I was doing fine enough to not withdraw but not good enough to get an A. I also believe a C+/B- in a tough course like this looks much better than a W. This course also will prepare you well for the Biochem and Bio sections of the MCAT. With little studying I scored above average in both sections.

-You are also allowed to register in courses at Barnard College. There is no distinction on your transcript and many postbacs went this route and did really well.

-Advisers seem very helpful to those who are excelling. Because of my limited time ( I have two jobs), the relationship with my adviser was very technical "these are the numbers, you need this and that." So, my experience with advisers is very limited. I am saying this by word of other fellow postbacs.

-Do not be fooled by their numbers. A huge chunk of people drop the program after the first year. I do not know the exact number but many do not end up in med school. Also, students who had taken just a few premed requirements at other comparable schools were being told to repeat them at Columbia in order to get committee support. Make sure you ask questions before committing.

In the end, I ended with a B grade overall. I have been told that a B at Columbia is still considered above average compared to most schools, however, I do not think that med schools see it that way. They might be familiarized with the program and understand that it is, perhaps, the most challenging one out there. Thankfully, I have a science background: uGPA 4.0/AMCAS: cGPA 3.6/sGPA 3.55. I am tailoring my app to speak about how I continued taking classes to finish the program and demonstrate my dedication to med school, focusing on the good things that I learned and experienced in the process. I also have two significant research experiences (6 years total), 6 publications, 4 years of volunteering at a clinic, 1 year of community service, 3 years playing rugby, 2 leadership positions and 6 solid LOR. I am also a non-traditional applicant, underrepresented minority, older and speak Eng and Spa. FINGERS CROSSED.

Last edited:
Ivy Leagues are a totally different game. Have a colleague that went to an Ivy for undergrad and HMS immediately after. The atmosphere at his undergrad, he said, was so cut throat he didn't make any friends in his premed courses. He talked to the premed advisers and med students he knew to get advice. All of his friends from college that he stays in contact with today were out of the hard sciences (English, music, history, etc.) Apparently, one kid made a fake, completely wrong test bank for an entire class and gave it out to his "friends." The class was on a curve and he wanted to secure an A spot. Though, my colleague is very sarcastic, so I believe it was a super old test bank that he gave out as reference and some kids took it as the real test, verbatim.

HMS was lovely he told me. If you make it there, you're guaranteed to go anywhere you want if you do well (which you will lol.)

EDIT: to stay on point, I'd go with a different program. The prestige/name that it holds does not outweigh how ridiculously hard and cut throat it seems to be. There are better options out there (Hunter program for example) for which I've seen far better reviews.

\
In the end, I ended with a B grade overall. I have been told that a B at Columbia is still considered above average compared to most schools, however, I do not think that med schools see it that way. They might be familiarized with the program and understand that it is, perhaps, the most challenging one out there. Thankfully, I have a science background: uGPA 4.0/AMCAS: oGPA 3.5/sGPA 3.48. I am tailoring my app to speak about how I continued taking classes to finish the program and demonstrate my dedication to med school, focusing on the good things that I learned and experienced in the process. I also have two significant research experiences (6 years total), 6 publications, 4 years of volunteering at a clinic, 1 year of community service, 3 years playing rugby, 2 leadership positions and 6 solid LOR. I am also a non-traditional applicant, underrepresented minority, older and speak Eng and Spa. FINGERS CROSSED.

May I ask how old you are? You're incredibly intimidating.

I'm 24, 25 in May.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It's appreciated.

Columbia is not that hard. The classes are mostly curved to a B/B+ and the gpa cut-off for committee support is 2.75 (source). It is true that it's very expensive, a lot of people drop out, and Mowshowitz bio is very hard. You should definitely think very hard about it before you apply. But still.... it's nowhere near as difficult and cut-throat as this thread is making it out to be!

May I ask how old you are? You're incredibly intimidating.

I'm 24, 25 in May.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It's appreciated.

Not my intention to intimidate. That was a real depiction of my experience. In recent years, the program has modified some of the rules such as cut offs for committee support and such.

I am a non-traditional 30 year old applicant. To the "Columbia is not that hard" comment, I would agree. It is not impossible. But know that a big chunk of people who would excel at another program, may just be average at Columbia (my case). When you grade a class on a Bell Curve like Bio, very few get As, leaving the rest of the class in the B range. Last time I took Bio the mean for each midterm was 72 (similar for Org Chem). If the class mean fell below they would adjust it. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA in undergrad only to become a B average student at Columbia. That does not have to be your story but it is mine. I also had to work for a big chunk of the time that I spent taking classes. Perhaps that could be a reason.

I do not regret my time at Columbia. However, I understand that the program did not improve my academic record the way I hoped. That is why I have continued taking classes beyond the required coursework. Some of my classmates went on to transfer to other post bacs, pursued a masters degree or dropped out of the race.

In the end is what you make of it. Know the challenges that lie ahead, and if you want to take on them, then go full throttle. Med school would not be easy either. BEST OF SUCCESS!

If you have specific questions send me a message.

For the record, Mowshowitz bio is not graded on a bell curve. At the beginning of the class, she tells everyone exactly how many points they need to earn on their exams (cumulatively over the semester, allowing one drop) to get each letter grade. The points were only adjusted if the overall class average was below a certain number, and in that case it would only be adjusted upwards. There is no limit to how many people can get an A. If everyone scored 90 points on every exam, everyone would have gotten A's. Most people couldn't get an A simply because the exams were really hard. I remember seeing flyers posted around campus advertising support groups for students who gave up on premed because of that class. :laugh:

For the record, Mowshowitz bio is not graded on a bell curve. At the beginning of the class, she tells everyone exactly how many points they need to earn on their exams (cumulatively over the semester, allowing one drop) to get each letter grade. The points were only adjusted if the overall class average was below a certain number, and in that case it would only be adjusted upwards. There is no limit to how many people can get an A. If everyone scored 90 points on every exam, everyone would have gotten A's. Most people couldn't get an A simply because the exams were really hard. I remember seeing flyers posted around campus advertising support groups for students who gave up on premed because of that class. :laugh:

I didn't go to Columbia but I know who that is. I feel like there are better options for premed in terms of postbacc programs. I know her tests prepare you well for the MCAT but one can also use prep books for that. The stress doesn't seem worth it.

I didn't go to Columbia but I know who that is. I feel like there are better options for premed in terms of postbacc programs. I know her tests prepare you well for the MCAT but one can also use prep books for that. The stress doesn't seem worth it.

I actually really enjoyed her class. She teaches you how to think, not just for the MCAT. It's definitely a struggle, though. It took a lot of work to improve.

I second Cotterpin. A big chunk of my classmates opted to take Bio at Barnard. I enjoyed Mows Bio challenge. It came with a price but I was happy to have taken it. If I am asked during interviews, I certainly have no regrets.

However, the sooner one understands that this course is weeding students out and stops complaining about it earlier in the process and work hard and enjoy the material, the more successful you can be. Second semester I bombed the first two midterms. Thankfully, I recovered by the end.

San francisco state University has a postbac premed program. I've heard mostly good things about it from friends who were in it.

Thanks. I ended up looking into SFSU. They are a great school all in all. I also found that they have an "Open U" so if you're not accepted into the post bacc immediately you could take classes anyways. I need to take calculus and re-take psychology so my GPA goes up anyways. Plus, even for a Washingtonian it's cheap.

Oh, and to be fair, San Francisco is an incredible city to live in. I think there is something to be said about that.

I do not regret my time at Columbia. However, I understand that the program did not improve my academic record the way I hoped. That is why I have continued taking classes beyond the required coursework. Some of my classmates went on to transfer to other post bacs, pursued a masters degree or dropped out of the race.

No worries at all. It's awesome that you have so many achievements given your circumstances. I think that's awesome. I'm a first generation student so I can relate in some regards. It wasn't until recently I realized that my upbringing and ADD made school like swimming with bricks tied around my ankles. Also, there's the money thing. Until this year I was living paycheck to paycheck always skimming by. For reasons I won't explain, I am totally financially stable and will be for the next few years. I got lucky. So I'm wondering if taking these pre-reqs uninterrupted by waitressing shifts will give me a chance to finally thrive. It's so hard to excel in school when you're worried about your car breaking down and debts. You know what I'm saying?

Many, many thanks. This idea terrifies me in the best ways. I am just trying to be realistic about my current record and the likelihood of succeeding (by succeeding I mean getting's A's and B's) in these post baccs. SFSU will probably be the best route at this point.

Thanks again!

I am under the impression its like a 3.65 or higher performance in the PostBacc for a committee letter.
That is completely untrue. Where are you getting your information from?

The cutoff is 2.75 gpa.

I love all these rumors about Columbia on SDN - "....and if that man were here today, he'd shoot fire from his eyes, and lightning from his arse" ala Mel Gibson lol

Yes, the program is hard - it's a top 5 national research university, what do you expect? However, people with low undergrad GPAs can go to Columbia and succeed - Columbia will give these people an opportunity to prove themselves, but will not hand them a GPA on a silver platter. I wouldn't trade my not-4.0 Columbia GPA for a 4.0 GPA at pretty much any other school; the education that I received at Columbia was superb, it prepared me well for the MCAT (and I believe medical school), and I worked quite hard for that not-4.0 GPA.

@Cotterpin and @RugbyPremed I am fairly certain that we are classmates...

I am about to start my last semester of the postbac premedical program at Columbia University and received a C- in Organic Chemistry my last semester. Am I going to be dismissed?

former post-director of columbia
I am about to start my last semester of the postbac premedical program at Columbia University and received a C- in Organic Chemistry my last semester. Am I going to be dismissed?

I second Cotterpin. A big chunk of my classmates opted to take Bio at Barnard. I enjoyed Mows Bio challenge. It came with a price but I was happy to have taken it. If I am asked during interviews, I certainly have no regrets.

However, the sooner one understands that this course is weeding students out and stops complaining about it earlier in the process and work hard and enjoy the material, the more successful you can be. Second semester I bombed the first two midterms. Thankfully, I recovered by the end.
I am about to start my last semester at Columbia University postbac premedical program (accelerated). I just got my grades from last semester and received a C- in Organic Chemistry and am freaking out. My dean emailed me and told me we had to talk. Please help me! Is there anyway to get this grade changed to even a C? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Not my intention to intimidate. That was a real depiction of my experience. In recent years, the program has modified some of the rules such as cut offs for committee support and such.

I am a non-traditional 30 year old applicant. To the "Columbia is not that hard" comment, I would agree. It is not impossible. But know that a big chunk of people who would excel at another program, may just be average at Columbia (my case). When you grade a class on a Bell Curve like Bio, very few get As, leaving the rest of the class in the B range. Last time I took Bio the mean for each midterm was 72 (similar for Org Chem). If the class mean fell below they would adjust it. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA in undergrad only to become a B average student at Columbia. That does not have to be your story but it is mine. I also had to work for a big chunk of the time that I spent taking classes. Perhaps that could be a reason.

In the end is what you make of it. Know the challenges that lie ahead, and if you want to take on them, then go full throttle. Med school would not be easy either. BEST OF SUCCESS!

If you have specific questions send me a message.
I am about to start my last semester at Columbia University postbac premedical program (accelerated). I just got my grades from last semester and received a C- in Organic Chemistry and am freaking out. My dean emailed me and told me we had to talk. Please help me! Is there anyway to get this grade changed to even a C? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Columbia is not that hard. The classes are mostly curved to a B/B+ and the gpa cut-off for committee support is 2.75 (source). It is true that it's very expensive, a lot of people drop out, and Mowshowitz bio is very hard. You should definitely think very hard about it before you apply. But still.... it's nowhere near as difficult and cut-throat as this thread is making it out to be!
Can you please give me you input on my thread please?

Scripps and gaucher college are another two post bacs that are pretty reputable
I think swarthmore might have one too but i dont really know

NO, It's extremely cut-throat.

I'm not a post-bacc but was in GS and had the same committee and the same classes. If you are a very high performing and recent graduate from an equally difficult college then it might be worth it for linkage. I do not recommend this program unless you have a very specific reason to be in it. There is allot of negativity and misinformation that can harm your career. Feel free to ask me any questions I graduated and applied this cycle.

I'm a little lost here, does the Columbia post-bacc program have you taking prereqs as a separate group, or are you just enrolled in the same giant prereq classes that the hundreds of Columbia undergrad students take?

I'm a little lost here, does the Columbia post-bacc program have you taking prereqs as a separate group, or are you just enrolled in the same giant prereq classes that the hundreds of Columbia undergrad students take?

You take the same giant pre-req classes. You are part of the herd. There are few good professors and their classes are difficult to get into.

You take the same giant pre-req classes. You are part of the herd. There are few good professors and their classes are difficult to get into.
Ah OK interesting. I was just confused because normally the SDN mantra is that fancy pants Ivy type names aren't actually much harder than a solid state program. This thread is quite an exception

You're in the same giant prereq classes with all the other Columbia undergrads. People keep saying it was very cut-throat, but that really was not my experience. I was in GS, not postbacc, but it was fine. I did well without too much struggle. I got into multiple MD programs. :shrug:

You're in the same giant prereq classes with all the other Columbia undergrads. People keep saying it was very cut-throat, but that really was not my experience. I was in GS, not postbacc, but it was fine. I did well without too much struggle. I got into multiple MD programs. :shrug:
Not to be rude - I thought I saw you were a re-app at one point, was that not at all due to GPA/sGPA?

Not to be rude - I thought I saw you were a re-app at one point, was that not at all due to GPA/sGPA?

It had nothing at all to do with my gpa. I just applied late the first cycle and didn't have a good school list. Barely had to change anything on my app, just added a few minor ECs over the gap year and applied on the first day. Made all the difference in the world.

It had nothing at all to do with my gpa. I just applied late the first cycle and didn't have a good school list. Barely had to change anything on my app, just added a few minor ECs over the gap year and applied on the first day. Made all the difference in the world.
If I recall you also scored like 95th+ MCAT so you must be the type of person for post-baccs to worry about competing with there!

If I recall you also scored like 95th+ MCAT so you must be the type of person for post-baccs to worry about competing with there!

There are tons of smart students at Columbia, but that doesn't mean it's cut-throat. Everybody I knew there was really nice and helpful.