Columbia MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Columbia? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent heard anything either. Not even so much as a confirmation that they even received my SOPHAS application :smuggrin:

according to their confirmation email, we should expect a response starting early march. so i guess the wait continues.

The wait is killing me! Why do they wait until March?

I agree! Didn't they say that if you submit your application before Dec. 1 - then you would receive your decision earlier? I thought I read on another forum here we should be hearing from admissions mid February?! Ugh...I'm tired of this wait =(

I saw on gradcafe survey that someone was accepted to the biostata masters at Columbia today! Hopefully that means acceptances will be going out starting today. Who knows? I hope so because, I too am tired of the wait.

So everyone received a confirmation email that Columbia received their application?:confused:

I didn't either. And when I emailed to ask they said they don't send confirmations.

But I did get an email today saying a decision had been made with a link to check the decision, and the link was broken. A lot of decisions went out today - looks like a lot of people are in for the Epi program but those who applied for HPM only got broken links to their admissions decisions. Gotta wait till tomorrow morning now.

It can't be too long before you hear back too now....

Just accepted. What's the greatest allure about Columbia for everyone? I love love love their curriculum, but just feel very uncertain about living in NYC as a student.

Just accepted. What's the greatest allure about Columbia for everyone? I love love love their curriculum, but just feel very uncertain about living in NYC as a student.

I didn't either. And when I emailed to ask they said they don't send confirmations.

But I did get an email today saying a decision had been made with a link to check the decision, and the link was broken. A lot of decisions went out today - looks like a lot of people are in for the Epi program but those who applied for HPM only got broken links to their admissions decisions. Gotta wait till tomorrow morning now.

Congrats! :) When did you guys submit your application and when did Sophas mail it out?

I'm so anxious to get my decision! It's weird that Columbia is sending out decisions at this time, since I think their office hours end at 5 pm and it's like 10 pm here in NY right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything yet either. But I applied EHS, and I haven't heard much about people getting notifications for the EHS.

@higher. I absolutely LOVE the new curriculum as well, and that is one of the main reasons Columbia is my #1, fingers crossed.

Thanks! Glad Im not the only one that didnt get a confirmation. Was starting to think they lost my application :laugh:

Did anyone else apply for their SMS program? Seems like everyone applied to EPI to EHS

Congrats! :) When did you guys submit your application and when did Sophas mail it out?

I'm so anxious to get my decision! It's weird that Columbia is sending out decisions at this time, since I think their office hours end at 5 pm and it's like 10 pm here in NY right now...

SOPHAS submitted mine to the school on 1/11/2012, but I completed my application on 11/26/2011, before their priority deadline of Dec 1st. I dunno if that made a difference in receiving a decision early as well.

Do people know if scholarship info is coming out with the admissions decisions?

Hey Guys,

Congrats to all of you you have heard from Columbia.

It seems like no one on this forum has heard about decisions from PopFam.

oh well....Still waiting, hoping we hear from them soonest

i got an email yesterday to tell me a decision has been made - and they generated a PIN and Password for me to log into their website -- i was accepted into their 1 yr accelerated program in biostats starting Sept 2012.

no mention about scholarships/grants/awards etc

i emailed to check if its possible to defer to start in Sept 2013. (i prev emailed Hopkins to ask if possible to defer if accepted -- they said yes no problem to defer 1 yr)

i cant seem to find out exact tuition costs though -- anyone know? the most i found was http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/students/financial-aid/tuition-fees
but how many credit hours do u take in a yr?? 19?

Last edited:
Thanks! Glad Im not the only one that didnt get a confirmation. Was starting to think they lost my application :laugh:

Did anyone else apply for their SMS program? Seems like everyone applied to EPI to EHS

Hi there - I also applied for SMS. Haven't heard anything yet though... good luck!

I am also an SMS applicant, and though I did get a confirmation email on 1/20, I have not yet received a decision notification. Judging from old results, it looks like SMS might be the last department to be notified...

I also applied to SMS and have not heard back. My SOPHAS app was mailed on 11/15/11. I received a confirmation email from Columbia on 1/20/12. Looking back, seems like a huge lag time between when it was mailed and received...

Maybe SMS is the slowest department in getting back... however in the confirmation email it DID say early March.

they just updated the error on the website. in at Mailman! for full-time mph hpm! woohoo

Hi everyone,

I got an email yesterday and I got accepted to the accelerated MPH in the Population and Family Health! Very excited!

Does anyone know when we will find out about scholarships decisions? If we don't get any scholarships decisions with the admittance confirmation email, does it mean we don't get any?

Thanks!

I received an acceptance from Columbia SMS last night! Does anyone know if they have admitted student days? I want to visit, but trying to figure out the best time.

Also, I wonder if they will send acceptance packets in the mail with more info..

@higher and @EHSpropect I applied to Columbia as well but haven't heard back.I'm a bit concerned about their new curriculum. It seems to touch on a lot of subjects for a short period of time, but doesn't go into much depth. And I'm concerned there will be growing pains during the first few years and I don't want to be a guinea pig. Have you talked to any professors or former students about the new set-up? Any insider knowledge?

I received an acceptance from Columbia SMS last night! Does anyone know if they have admitted student days? I want to visit, but trying to figure out the best time.

Also, I wonder if they will send acceptance packets in the mail with more info..
According to the email they sent out yesterday, there will be an email next week regarding information for admitted student day

@higher and @EHSpropect I applied to Columbia as well but haven't heard back.I'm a bit concerned about their new curriculum. It seems to touch on a lot of subjects for a short period of time, but doesn't go into much depth. And I'm concerned there will be growing pains during the first few years and I don't want to be a guinea pig. Have you talked to any professors or former students about the new set-up? Any insider knowledge?
As I read about the program I did have doubts being part of the guinea pig class and all, but I think that this new curriculum will encompass a lot of the public health core. While at other schools you will be required to take core classes over your first two semesters, it seems that you will get the main core out of the way in the first semester with the 18 modules. I haven't talked to any profs or students yet, but I plan on going to the admitted students day.

From what I've gathered from the new website and curriculum, it seems like it will be a lot more group problem based solving and taking real life issues and working them out in cohorts. I know that a lot of people prefer lecture based and it seems like it will combine all types of learning into one core curriculum. I think that is what makes m the most excited about it, even if it makes me a guinea pigs. Plus getting the "certificate" I think will benefit all students being able to specialize in something within their department and finding their niche. I will probably email my department chair soon and ask more about the curriculum and I'll definitely relay any info I get

As I read about the program I did have doubts being part of the guinea pig class and all, but I think that this new curriculum will encompass a lot of the public health core. While at other schools you will be required to take core classes over your first two semesters, it seems that you will get the main core out of the way in the first semester with the 18 modules. I haven't talked to any profs or students yet, but I plan on going to the admitted students day.

From what I've gathered from the new website and curriculum, it seems like it will be a lot more group problem based solving and taking real life issues and working them out in cohorts. I know that a lot of people prefer lecture based and it seems like it will combine all types of learning into one core curriculum. I think that is what makes m the most excited about it, even if it makes me a guinea pigs. Plus getting the "certificate" I think will benefit all students being able to specialize in something within their department and finding their niche. I will probably email my department chair soon and ask more about the curriculum and I'll definitely relay any info I get

Hey there. I actually spoke with one professor from Columbia. I contacted her because I was interested in her research and she started talking about the new curriculum a little bit. While I don't have any specific insider information, she did describe what EHSProspect2012 says above - smaller groups and problem-based learning. It does sound pretty interesting, though I am kind of biased as I enjoyed PBL in my undergrad program. Hopefully they will share more information soon.

According to the email they sent out yesterday, there will be an email next week regarding information for admitted student day

Current GPH student here. We've been asked to help with the admitted student days and this year's two Accepted Student Days are on March 23 and April 13.

I received my acceptance to Sociomedical Sciences with a concentration in Global Health on friday!! :)

Sophas submitted my application late Jan. I haven't heard from Columbia yet. Does this mean it is going to be a Reject? Does anyone know if Columbia has rolling admissions or just one round?

Sophas submitted my application late Jan. I haven't heard from Columbia yet. Does this mean it is going to be a Reject? Does anyone know if Columbia has rolling admissions or just one round?
I'm pretty sure they send their notifications out in batches, so the first batch went out this week, probably to those who applied before the soft deadline (dec 15th), but they say that they should continue to send out notitications.

Thanks EHSprospect! Very useful insights. And thanks for the link idlemuse; I hadn't stumbled across that one yet.

Hey everybody. I jumped the gun on finding out the dates by emailing. Two dates coming up: March 23rd and April 13th. I think more information will come out soon, but for anyone who needs to request time off in advance like at my office, I hope this helps!

Edit: Oh man, totally missed the earliest post from the current student! Pardon the redundancy.

Last edited:
I heard back last week. Got accepted to MPH in policy and management. Now, I'm just waiting for the financial aid package. Best of luck!

I was accepted to Pop and Family Health on Friday. I submitted by the early "soft" deadline of Dec 1. According to the Admissions people today, financial aid packages should be sent "shortly," whatever that means.

RE the new curriculum, I have the same concerns as Gio. While I really like the idea of problem-based learning and building practical skills and all that, I have trouble believing that one semester is enough time to give me the knowledge base I want in the core subjects. I'm afraid I'll end up feeling like I need to use all my electives to get more in-depth on those subjects. Someone convince me otherwise please!

I was accepted to Pop and Family Health on Friday. I submitted by the early "soft" deadline of Dec 1. According to the Admissions people today, financial aid packages should be sent "shortly," whatever that means.

RE the new curriculum, I have the same concerns as Gio. While I really like the idea of problem-based learning and building practical skills and all that, I have trouble believing that one semester is enough time to give me the knowledge base I want in the core subjects. I'm afraid I'll end up feeling like I need to use all my electives to get more in-depth on those subjects. Someone convince me otherwise please!
I think everyone seems a bit unconvinced regarding the new curriculum format. However, I think most are excited because of how it is different. I will be in the HPM track, doing the FT healthcare management program, which will be a bit different. im looking at it as the closest you can get to business school without actually going. for your dept. it may be different tho. either way, i think it will be a worthwhile experience.

Has anyone heard back from the SMS department? Still no word on my end... Should I consider this a no go? :(

Has anyone heard back from the SMS department? Still no word on my end... Should I consider this a no go? :(

I hope not! If the forums are any indication, it seems as if very few SMS students have been notified. Considering that SMS has one of the largest populations of MPH students among the Columbia disciplines, I would have to assume they just haven't gotten around to most of the SMS applicants yet. SMS also seems to hear last out of everyone...

Or it could just be wishful thinking...

Do they at least tell if we are accepted or rejected?

I hope not! If the forums are any indication, it seems as if very few SMS students have been notified. Considering that SMS has one of the largest populations of MPH students among the Columbia disciplines, I would have to assume they just haven't gotten around to most of the SMS applicants yet. SMS also seems to hear last out of everyone...

Or it could just be wishful thinking...

I hope not too. The admits were all from applicants who submitted before Dec. There must be another round of admission for Dec/Jan submissions.

I hope not too. The admits were all from applicants who submitted before Dec. There must be another round of admission for Dec/Jan submissions.

Just received my admissions decision from Columbia today via email. I'm in for Population & Family Health with a Global Health certificate!

I submitted my app on SOPHAS on 1/15 and it was mailed out on 1/17, so maybe they're finally getting around to those of us that submitted after the 12/5 soft deadline.

Just received my admissions decision from Columbia today via email. I'm in for Population & Family Health with a Global Health certificate!

I submitted my app on SOPHAS on 1/15 and it was mailed out on 1/17, so maybe they're finally getting around to those of us that submitted after the 12/5 soft deadline.

Congratulations! Could you please share your stats? (GRE, GPA, WE, etc.)

I haven't been able to find anything about the credit/course requirements of new curriculum either. Everything seems to come back to that, doesn't it? However, if it helps at all, the old curriculum was 45 credits, plus the practicum (which only had a credit or two attached to it for a practicum seminar, but depended on the concentration). At $1326/credit hour (per the link above), that comes out to a total of $59,670 for tuition, spread over 2 years. I can't imagine the new curriculum would be drastically different than that, but who knows...

I was wondering about the tuition as well. I emailed the program coordinator to ask, so I'll report back if/when I get an answer.

This year's tuition will be the same, about $60,000. The new curriculum is 45 "points" which is the same as credits. so no real change in price.