Columbia Class 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHSprospect2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for those of you who decide to matriculate this fall to Columbia University. Just a thread for thoughts, excitements, worries, or other things (housing, financial aid) etc.

I'm about 99% sure that I'll be attending Columbia's EHS program this fall, hopefully they will announce the visitation days soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in love with Columbia's curriculum. Love I tell you! Buttt I am concerned about living in NYC as a student. It just seems so easy to get lost in the shuffle or something. And small living spaces, ugh.

I feel you on that one, but I absolutely love NYC, though that has been for visting only, so living there will be an interesting one.

I think the new curriculum is going to be amazing as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you on that one, but I absolutely love NYC, though that has been for visting only, so living there will be an interesting one.

I think the new curriculum is going to be amazing as well.

I applied to only one school so I will be at Mailman for Biostats. I will be in the Class of 2013 though because I am doing the 1-yr prgm.

Last edited:
Well it's official. I just send in my enrollment form and my deposit. So I will definitely be attending Columbia this fall! I can't wait!

Hi all =), CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCES!
Columbia has been a top choice for me (but I guess I'm gonna wait till I check out both Yale and Columbia campuses/talk to profs and stuff before I send in the deposit, just in case haha), and very likely that I will attend! Epidemiology with Global Health Concentration =)

Do you guys know anything about graduate school housing? Are we eligible for that, if there is? Or do you all plan to just look around for places in the city?

I know for Columbia, they have med students housing (which we will fall under). From what I know, you can get anywhere from a studio to a 4-person apartment, all at decent prices. It is a random lottery drawing I think.

For me, I plan on trying to get student housing for this first year, and then probably get an off-campus apartment for the second year, but who knows.

99% sure I will be attending. Already based in NYC so will be nice to stay in the area. The new curriculum is looking pretty awesome.

I am leaning towards Columbia, SUNY Albany was a safety for me and BU I am on the fence with.

I'm from NYC originally, would be nice to live somewhere else for a change like I did for undergrad. Decisions, decisions!

Hey all!
I've been accepted to Yale EHS, waiting on Columbia now, hoping for the best, then I'll have to decide! I'm a senior at NYU, so if you have any worries about living in New York feel free to ask away.

Personally, I love it. Although the Columbia public health/medschool campus is VERY different from where I am (East Village) I want everyone to know that commuting is super easy, so you don't have to worry about living so close to campus, aka in Harlem.

In terms of housing- I'm sure Columbia has great facilities available, and housing close by. However at least at NYU dorms were very expensive- even for New York City. I suggest finding your own housing, even an apartment. Craigslist isn't bad for finding a sublet- they're not all creepy I've found several awesome roommates with them.

But hey- as you're all going (or possibly going) maybe even connecting here for fellow roommates wouldn't be a bad idea, seeing as how we'd have similar interests and work-load already. Just throwing that out there.

Goodluck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Awesome! Thanks for the insight! From what I've read about the CUMC housing, apartments with shared 3 or 4 person will be anywhere from $700-900/month/person. I contacted housing a couple days ago and asked more about priority and how to get housing. They say the application opens on April 13th and it basically goes by priority. First priority is for international students, second priority is for people living in the US, but furthest distance, and third is for those living in the tri-state area. It also is by first come first served, so apply early if you want to get into housing. I have a friend who is at the Grad school at Columbia, and she likes the apartment housing that Columbia offers, so hopefully it will work out for those who want to get it.

I just got an email from Columbia that the admitted student days are march 23 and april 13. I plan on going April 13! see yall there!

Hey All,

Tryna fill out financial aid, went to this page:

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/students/financial-aid/how-apply

"Students are required to submit parent information for FAFSA"

Decided that this seemed weird, but I'd do it anyways. When you fill out parent information, you are asked how large is household, etc, then, you are to fill in the number of full-time college students in the household. The issue is that members of a household must receive at least half of their funding from their parents, obviously not the case for many of us applicants, and you cannot select "zero" for number of college students in the household.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
That really does seem odd to me, I am going to be 32 years old, why on earth do I need to add my parents to FAFSA.

That really does seem odd to me, I am going to be 32 years old, why on earth do I need to add my parents to FAFSA.
Emsy, looks like you're in the clear. But for us 29 year olds, here's an email that I got from someone in Financial Aid in response to my inquiry:

"In order to be considered for need based aid we are requiring all
incoming and continuing students to complete the parental section on the
FAFSA. You do not have to input the information if you are 30 and older
or married."

Silly.

I already posted this question on the Columbia MPH thread RE the new curriculum, but I'm reposting it here since a bunch of you seem really excited about it. While I really like the idea of problem-based learning and building practical skills and all that, I have trouble believing that one semester is enough time to give me the knowledge base I want in the core subjects. I'm afraid I'll end up feeling like I need to use all my electives to get more in-depth on those subjects. Do you guys know something I don't? Someone convince me otherwise please!

I already posted this question on the Columbia MPH thread RE the new curriculum, but I'm reposting it here since a bunch of you seem really excited about it. While I really like the idea of problem-based learning and building practical skills and all that, I have trouble believing that one semester is enough time to give me the knowledge base I want in the core subjects. I'm afraid I'll end up feeling like I need to use all my electives to get more in-depth on those subjects. Do you guys know something I don't? Someone convince me otherwise please!
I think we are all in the same boat, knowledge based (or lack there of about the new curriculum), but I think that this new curriculum brings something to the table that a pure lecture based curriculum might not. While it may seem that the first semester doesn't seem like enough time to fully grasp the vast amount of knowledge that the core classes consist of, I think that this new curriculum will reconcile that with a "new" style of learning. It seems Columbia has been working hard on this new curriculum to incorporate everything that we will need to know for the core classes. I did contact a person in the EHS department and asked more about the curriculum and she told me that it is not only problem-based learning, but will also include lectures as well.

I honestly think that it is up to you, whether or not you want to try this new curriculum/"way of learning" out or not. I can tell you personally, I'm excited to see a problem-based learning style out there, because it will help "train" the way that I might approach different situations that I might run into in the real world. I think that problem based learning will help students understand past real life situations that will benefit decisions made in the future. I'm excited to see how the different departments at Columbia are going to create a cohesiveness to create a curriculum that will touch on all aspects and angles of public health. So instead of seeing a certain situation with one view, another department can come in an offer a different view.

This is just my opinion and it is one of the reasons it makes me so excited to go to Columbia. I'm not saying that one way of learning is better than another, but merely stating why I choose to go to Columbia and what makes me excited for the new curriculum. I'm sure we will be getting plenty of lecture based classes when we move on into our departments and certifications.

You also should think about whether or not you want to be part of the "guinea pig" class and try out this new curriculum or if you want to be part of a curriculum that is more rooted. I think that Columbia is a great school to get your MPH from, but so is any other school, depending on how you learn and what you want to do.

Makes sense. I'm hoping the program is aware that there are a lot of people out there with a lot of questions about the curriculum, and therefore will be sending out and/or posting more information about it. We'll see. What you're saying makes sense though. I guess I need to spend some time reading up on problem-based learning to figure out where I stand on it.

On paper, this new Columbia program looks very interesting and well thought out.

However, I read somewhere on this board about Columbia MPH students being disgruntled about the school.

Six years ago I did the Columbia postbacc program and I was pretty miserable there for various factors and that makes me very hesitant about it.

Would be amazing to hear from any current Columbia MPH students what they think about this change and how the school is from a social life point of view.

(first post :) )

I actually applied to Columbia SMS because of the new program. Public health is a "just do it" field so I love this new focus. I am looking forward to being a guinea pig for this program (is that weird? lol.) because I think it's so innovative. I was a public health major in undergrad so I'm not too worried about the one semester core. Even if I were not a PH major I wouldn't worry because I feel like the problem based learning will really put theory of the core into practice. We'll see. I am going to visit several times to make sure it's for me but as far as I concerned, on paper I'm sold. :) lol.

I am currently looking at the faculty and their research...I am hoping there are some really passionate advisers there who will guide. I know people say Columbia is big and doesn't have as much intimate support but I don't foresee that being an issue for me because as long as there are people there I can find and connect with, I'm cool. I went to a 'go getter' undergrad inst. (abundant resources but little hand holding) so if Columbia is that way I think it'll be ok.

Don't forget to RSVP for admitted students day!
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/65GTRF2

On paper, this new Columbia program looks very interesting and well thought out.

However, I read somewhere on this board about Columbia MPH students being disgruntled about the school.

Six years ago I did the Columbia postbacc program and I was pretty miserable there for various factors and that makes me very hesitant about it.

Would be amazing to hear from any current Columbia MPH students what they think about this change and how the school is from a social life point of view.

Hi. I am a current HPM student in management at Mailman, and I really love it here. Last year, when I was applying and debating between schools, I was a bit worried about the same thing-- negative student feedback. However it more or less depends on the department. I was admitted to SMS for health promotion, and although I still think what SMS does is very important for public health, my personality for strategic thinking and results (I'm quite left-brained, it turns out) didn't fit with the pace of the department (I ended up switching to HPM the first week of school--this was made possible for me but very difficult). So in that sense, it's all about your individual "fit". If you like it here overall, you'll be able to put up with a few minor downsides. After all, the Mailman School of Public Health is large for a reason -- amazing resources and connections. The career center is very strong, and every year they feed a lot of students to local job opportunities (e.g. NYC Department of Health). We also have a lot of seminars we can attend, and one of the most memorable ones so far was the Calderone Prize Lecture, where we had the chance to speak one-on-one with Dr. Harvey Fineberg, the President at IOM, and listen to him talk.

The key to your fit at Columbia, I personally think, is to know exactly why you're here. So when things get tough, you can remind yourself of your goal and make it through. It's not hard to get good grades here because of grade inflation, and students and profs are very friendly and will help you out if you ask. That being said, the curriculum's rigor differs a lot by department, and for HPM at least, we're constantly tired and working our butts off, but we have goals to pursue so it's worth it. I know that when you're deciding between schools, it's very easy to get bogged down by the little details -- something this person said that stuck with you, or a fleeting impression of something you didn't like that worries you consistently. But honestly, looking back, for me, none of it really made a difference. Go with your gut instincts. Take a step back, think about your personality and what kind of environment would allow you to flourish while continuously challenges you, and go there.

Big thoughts aside, practical advice: so many benefits of picking an Ivy League school! We have Borrow Direct, so we can order books from all the Ivy League libraries and they'll be delivered to a library closest to us for pick up. In terms of large well-known companies, too, Ivy League schools are also "target schools" where they actively recruit on-campus. There are also tons of conferences (I'm mostly speaking about healthcare) from various Ivies you can attend, which allows you to get out of your classroom experience, network and meet ppl who will make useful contacts later on. If you come here you'll also have great access to most things on the main campus, such as graduate consulting club, World Leaders Forum (http://www.worldleaders.columbia.edu/events/197), etc. My experience here has so far been pretty awesome :)

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I also live on campus so I can tell you a bit more about dorms, meal plans, etc. I'm an exec on one of Mailman's most popular student groups and will be at our Open House in March, so those who do plan to visit, hopefully I'll see you guys soon!

Thanks so much for all the great advice and insight parapluie! Can you comment at all on the new MPH curriculum?

Thank you for your insight parapluie!

Going to PM you with some more questions.

I just committed for an MPH in Health Policy in Management with a certificate in Health Policy Analysis. I am super excited!!!! Currently looking into housing and planning on attending the April 13th admitted students day!

I'm bummed that I won't be able to make it to one of the visiting days. It's just too expensive living on the other side of the country to fly for a few days. Who ever goes will have to post all the good info that they'll be learning about!

are summer classes an option? Would it be possible to graduate the health management program in 1 year and 2 semesters ?

Congrats all that got in!!!

Thanks so much for the insight ! I will be there on March 23 and I am looking forward to the visit! My only fear is that I may not be able to afford it. I hope that I get to speak to Financial Aid advisers that day.

Hi. However it more or less depends on the department. I was admitted to SMS for health promotion, and although I still think what SMS does is very important for public health, my personality for strategic thinking and results (I'm quite left-brained, it turns out) didn't fit with the pace of the department (I ended up switching to HPM the first week of school--this was made possible for me but very difficult). So in that sense, it's all about your individual "fit". If you like it here overall, you'll be able to put up with a few minor downsides.

Hi Parapluie. Great advice there. I got accepted into EHS. I will pm you in a bit. Thanks.

Did anyone else take note of this:

"In order to achieve all the benefits of this program, students will spend full days on campus engaging in coursework, seminars, collaborative free periods and other activities. Classes run from early in the morning through early evening*. Students should strongly consider clearing other significant commitments from their first year, including full-time work or responsibilities requiring traditional work hours.

In semesters where a student’s program (department and certificate) requirements are less than 12 credits per semester, students should consider taking school-wide or university wide electives. Our flat fee tuition model allows for this flexibility."

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/academics/degree-offerings/mph/mph-fall-2012-and-beyond

It looks like Columbia is switching from a per credit tuition to a flat one like other schools? And does this new curriculum seem restrictive? I will have to get used to going from making my own schedule to having full days M-F, I guess...lol.

Columbia is probably my top choice, and thanks parapluie for such a detailed response. I wonder how is everyone going to pay for it? Loans is a must, I know. Been saving up for grad school? Family help? Scholarships?

About to send in my acceptance for SMS with a certificate in sexual health! Very excited! :)

Wondering if anyone else out there is considering off-campus housing at Columbia. I'm actually considering moving to Brooklyn, which would be a commute, but I love reading on the train and can use all the reading time I can get.

I'm also moving from across the country, so that should make things interesting.

I got accepted into the Family and Pop program with a concentration in Global Health.
Columbia is my top choice but I am also worried about the expenses. I too may have to live in Brooklyn.
Has anyone received more information on the "flat fee" they mention?

I got accepted into the Family and Pop program with a concentration in Global Health.
Columbia is my top choice but I am also worried about the expenses. I too may have to live in Brooklyn.
Has anyone received more information on the "flat fee" they mention?

Someone in the "Columbia Cost?" thread mentioned that they called fin aid and the officer informed them that the tuition will be flat fee and between 60,000-70,000, but that it still needs to be approved or something like that. Hopefully more on the 60,000 end :xf:

does anyone know if it is possible to switch certificate programs? or do more than one? It is my understanding that the certificates are new, before they were just concentrations. From the website, it is also hard to determine what exactly is required to receive the certificate (is it particular classes or pick x classes out of 10)? Anyone have any insight?

thanks

Hi guys, I'm not going into Columbia this fall (applying in a couple years), but I noticed a couple things here that I have some questions about. If this isn't the right place to ask them feel free to yell at me! :)

Did anyone else take note of this:

"In order to achieve all the benefits of this program, students will spend full days on campus engaging in coursework, seminars, collaborative free periods and other activities. Classes run from early in the morning through early evening*. Students should strongly consider clearing other significant commitments from their first year, including full-time work or responsibilities requiring traditional work hours.
Does anyone know how we're expected to survive if we can't work regularly? I mean, NYC isn't cheap, and unless your parents are paying for everything (which apparently CU, with its requirement that you give parental FAFSA info, assumes is reality), how are you supposed to get by there when you're limited to working nights and weekends - and I assume for such a rigorous program there will be lots of outside work to do...

Someone in the "Columbia Cost?" thread mentioned that they called fin aid and the officer informed them that the tuition will be flat fee and between 60,000-70,000, but that it still needs to be approved or something like that. Hopefully more on the 60,000 end :xf:
I think I calculated it out to just under 60,000 for their current program, so the price is going up. :(

If you want to use a school that has similar costs/structure, check out what the Social Work school charges for the 12-13 year:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ssw/finaid/cost/index.html

Tuition: $36,942
School-related Total: $41,741
Cost of living: $25,140

Hi everyone. There are a few Columbia threads, but I figure this would be the most relevant place to post... in case any of you are interested in learning more about each faculty member and finds the directory cumbersome, here is a link that categorizes them by area of expertise - maybe this is old news, but I just found it yesterday and it is kinda cool (in the highest order of nerdhood) http://www.mailmanschool.org/experts/view.asp

Hi, i am from india and i have got into columbia mph program...but i have heard that around 168th street is not the safest area to stay...is this true? shud i consider stayin elsewhere or on campus itself? would really appreciate any kind of help.

Hi, i am from india and i have got into columbia mph program...but i have heard that around 168th street is not the safest area to stay...is this true? shud i consider stayin elsewhere or on campus itself? would really appreciate any kind of help.

It's a very urban area and it doesn't look quite as nice as the Morningside campus.

During the weekdays, there are a lot of people in that area from the traffic of the hospital, the medical school, etc. From my times being up in that neighborhood at nighttime, it can get deserted and you may see some sketchy people.

Does that mean expect to get mugged or be a victim of crime if you come to live in NYC, absolutely not, just be aware and use common sense like walking alone at 3am may not be the wisest decision, etc.

I was born in NYC so I'm used to being in a huge city and that far uptown is not that picture-esque.

I'm pretty much set on attending Columbia. Yes, it's expensive but the networking opportunities + the Ivy League name sold me. I noticed someone on another thread posted that it isn't a big deal to get into Columbia because basically everyone who applies gets in...does Columbia really have that reputation? I would like to hear your thoughts on this...

On a more important note-anyone hear back from financial aid from Columbia?
And I know that our campus is near the medical center but does anyone know if we are able to use the Morningside campus facilities (i.e. library)?

I'm pretty much set on attending Columbia. Yes, it's expensive but the networking opportunities + the Ivy League name sold me. I noticed someone on another thread posted that it isn't a big deal to get into Columbia because basically everyone who applies gets in...does Columbia really have that reputation? I would like to hear your thoughts on this...

And I know that our campus is near the medical center but does anyone know if we are able to use the Morningside campus facilities (i.e. library)?

I called the financial office about a week and a half ago, they said no aid has been determined yet and that it would start coming out in early March.

When I was doing the postbacc premed program at Columbia I could use my ID to use the medical school library and I believe it works both ways unless it's changed since then.

I read that comment about Columbia and to me that just sounded like a bitter person wanting to make themselves feel better by bringing everyone else down. If Columbia suits your needs and in your gut you feel that is the school for you, why would you care?

definitely a cocky comment, nothing more. Columbia has ~50% admit rate for public health overall, based on the ASPH records. But it depends departmentally as well. They have standards for academics. Also, it is Ivy plus all the rest, so don't take that negative comment to heart.

I agree with the other two when it comes to acceptance rate. If you think that Columbia is the school for you, all other opinions on the school, true or not, should not matter.

Regarding financial aid, like Emsy, I contacted the office and they said only merit scholarships were sent out so far and that they haven't really started putting financial aid packets together quite yet. I did hear early March as well, but who knows. As long as you get your FAFSA in, so that you can be considered for need-based scholarships and loans, etc. you should be on track.

The public health school is on the medical campus and we will be considered CUMC students, so the ID card we will have will be medical school IDs, but like Emsy stated, we will be able to use our cards basically at any of the Columbia facilities. I know that there is a library on the medical campus, but if you prefer the Morningside campus library, I'm sure you could get in. From what I've read on the website, you will need to get certain stickers on your card to use certain facilities, aka the Bard Athletic facility, CUArts pass, etc.

Columbia is a really big program, so there are more spots available, and that mean the acceptance rate is somewhat higher than other schools. This doesn't make it any less prestigious than other schools. Acceptance rate is kind of a silly thing to factor into your choice for attendance, especially considering that acceptance rates for most mph programs hover around 50%.

Judging from the folks on this forum, the applicant pool itself (for Columbia and for the MPH in general) is very qualified. I don't consider myself any less accomplished just because a lot of you also got into the same school I did. :)

Hi. I am a current HPM student in management at Mailman, and I really love it here. Last year, when I was applying and debating between schools, I was a bit worried about the same thing-- negative student feedback. However it more or less depends on the department. I was admitted to SMS for health promotion, and although I still think what SMS does is very important for public health, my personality for strategic thinking and results (I'm quite left-brained, it turns out) didn't fit with the pace of the department (I ended up switching to HPM the first week of school--this was made possible for me but very difficult). So in that sense, it's all about your individual "fit". If you like it here overall, you'll be able to put up with a few minor downsides. After all, the Mailman School of Public Health is large for a reason -- amazing resources and connections. The career center is very strong, and every year they feed a lot of students to local job opportunities (e.g. NYC Department of Health). We also have a lot of seminars we can attend, and one of the most memorable ones so far was the Calderone Prize Lecture, where we had the chance to speak one-on-one with Dr. Harvey Fineberg, the President at IOM, and listen to him talk.

The key to your fit at Columbia, I personally think, is to know exactly why you're here. So when things get tough, you can remind yourself of your goal and make it through. It's not hard to get good grades here because of grade inflation, and students and profs are very friendly and will help you out if you ask. That being said, the curriculum's rigor differs a lot by department, and for HPM at least, we're constantly tired and working our butts off, but we have goals to pursue so it's worth it. I know that when you're deciding between schools, it's very easy to get bogged down by the little details -- something this person said that stuck with you, or a fleeting impression of something you didn't like that worries you consistently. But honestly, looking back, for me, none of it really made a difference. Go with your gut instincts. Take a step back, think about your personality and what kind of environment would allow you to flourish while continuously challenges you, and go there.

Big thoughts aside, practical advice: so many benefits of picking an Ivy League school! We have Borrow Direct, so we can order books from all the Ivy League libraries and they'll be delivered to a library closest to us for pick up. In terms of large well-known companies, too, Ivy League schools are also "target schools" where they actively recruit on-campus. There are also tons of conferences (I'm mostly speaking about healthcare) from various Ivies you can attend, which allows you to get out of your classroom experience, network and meet ppl who will make useful contacts later on. If you come here you'll also have great access to most things on the main campus, such as graduate consulting club, World Leaders Forum (http://www.worldleaders.columbia.edu/events/197), etc. My experience here has so far been pretty awesome :)

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I also live on campus so I can tell you a bit more about dorms, meal plans, etc. I'm an exec on one of Mailman's most popular student groups and will be at our Open House in March, so those who do plan to visit, hopefully I'll see you guys soon!

Hey there!
I am an international student and I received my admit from Columbia early last week to the HPM-Management track . I am confused about certain aspects and I was hoping if you could guide me.

1. The propspect of paying for Columbia : I've shortlisted Columbia and UNC -chapel hill among my other acceptances and am confused about which one to pick. While on one hand the aspect of being able to graduate for columbia , for the ivy league tag seems really tempting, I am wondering if its too much to take. I would need a job to pay off my grad school loans. Which school would offer me a better chance at this??

2. Living in NYC: The expense!!!!!!!!!!, What are the odds of finding an on- campus part time job to support my living expenses!

3. Jobs upon graduation: Are there jobs available? how does the market look like??? Any restrictions on hiring F1 students?

It's a very urban area and it doesn't look quite as nice as the Morningside campus.

During the weekdays, there are a lot of people in that area from the traffic of the hospital, the medical school, etc. From my times being up in that neighborhood at nighttime, it can get deserted and you may see some sketchy people.

Does that mean expect to get mugged or be a victim of crime if you come to live in NYC, absolutely not, just be aware and use common sense like walking alone at 3am may not be the wisest decision, etc.

I was born in NYC so I'm used to being in a huge city and that far uptown is not that picture-esque.

It's not very picturesque lol, but it is actually a nice break from the chaos of the rest of Manhattan...basically you can actually do work here, instead of constantly being distracted and thinking of places to go, shops to visit. It is very safe. Because of NY-Presbyterian, there are constantly campus police patrolling the area and cameras are everywhere. In case you ever need street parking, around CUMC is actually the best choice since nobody would dare to touch your car.

We also have Columbia "Safe Haven" stores and shops around the campus. They have a red Columbia lion sticker on the windows, are open 24 hours and you can go into any one of them at any time you feel unsafe, call campus security and they will come pick you up and escort you home.

Broadway is in fact super safe most times of day. Past 170th street I can't comment on, but Haven Ave and areas around the Columbia buildings safe for sure. I've walked home to residence from Hammer library at 4am in the morning and I didn't feel like I should worry.

Yay! Congrats!

Hey there!
I am an international student and I received my admit from Columbia early last week to the HPM-Management track . I am confused about certain aspects and I was hoping if you could guide me.

1. The propspect of paying for Columbia : I've shortlisted Columbia and UNC -chapel hill among my other acceptances and am confused about which one to pick. While on one hand the aspect of being able to graduate for columbia , for the ivy league tag seems really tempting, I am wondering if its too much to take. I would need a job to pay off my grad school loans. Which school would offer me a better chance at this??

2. Living in NYC: The expense!!!!!!!!!!, What are the odds of finding an on- campus part time job to support my living expenses!

3. Jobs upon graduation: Are there jobs available? how does the market look like??? Any restrictions on hiring F1 students?

Most of us work part time. The school kind of anticipates this so they tell us to not take on too many jobs, especially with the heavy course load, but seriously, it's NYC and ppl are driven to succeed and do the best they can (especially financially). The department sends out lots of opportunities via e-mail, for on-campus research projects and off-campus internships (this is during both fall and spring too, not just for summer, which is a diff story since it's your official "praticum"). For you and me, under F-1 status, we cannot work and get paid outside of Columbia for the first two semesters of being here. It kind of sucks, but I had the chance to apply to on-campus research assistant jobs, except I wanted to gain exposure to organizations outside of Columbia, so I'm doing an internship at NYC Department of Health right now. They wanted to pay me, too, except I can't legally get paid right now. It's kind of frustrating :(

I can't really comment much on UNC, but I'm positive about the fact that NYC is much more culturally diverse. I'm not sure how much this plays into your decision-making process, but I have a feeling you might feel more at home at a place where ppl are more accepting of various cultures.

After graduation, you will no longer be on F-1 status since you won't be a student anymore. So you will need employers to sponsor you for a work visa. During your summer practicum, you can use your CPT hours to get paid, and you will have 1-year of OPT post-graduation to get a job (volunteer/paid) which lets you stay in the country and try to secure a work visa. More info on both can be found on the ISSO website:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/isso/visa/F-1/F-1_PT_curricular.html

I'm still trying to sort out the best way to do this, but I know some ppl who have worked under the H-1B visa before and it shouldn't be too bad :) Fingers crossed!

Hi all, since my post about a week ago I've received many, many PMs from you. At first I tried to reply to each one to the level of detail of your questions, but soon I realized they were all about the same things essentially. So I've compiled a list of FAQs below. Hopefully that'll relieve some of your anxiety.

1. Housing and living:

- I recommend the Towers. Try not to get the other ones. Tower 1 and 2 are student shares, meaning 2 bedrooms, unfurnished, full kitchen, 1 full bathroom. They are recently renovated and look like new. View is fantastic-- you might get an unhindered view of the Hudson River, New Jersey and the George Washington Bridge if you are lucky. There are doormen to all three towers to enhance security-- very nice ppl! They pick up and hold onto your packages that are delivered, so online shopping is super easy. Tower 3 has more 3/4 ppl suites, but they are furnished. If you don't like your bed, you can substitute with your own. Maintenance also comes as beckoned so anything that displeases you, they'll try to make it better. Living with ppl isn't so bad. Everyone is busy and I barely see my roommates (I live with 2 others at the moment). You don't necessarily live with all PH students-- one of my roommates is over 25 (she worked for a few years) and now is in dental school, and the other one is fresh from undergrad and doing a PhD in molecular bio. A third just moved out and was in her last year of PT. Mine is $811 per month and no it is larger than box (much larger actually, exceeded my expectations). Utility is about $25 per month. Internet included but no cable. Cost of living increases exponentially the further you go down south on Manhattan.

- It is very convenient, max 10 minutes to all my classes. I sometimes come back in between classes to drop off stuff, or I just head to the library. Library has computer rooms and study areas open 24 hours (including private study rooms you can book), so I sometimes come back home at 3am and it is safe.

-It is a 15-min subway ride to the main campus. Butler Library is also open 24 hours, and sometimes we study there. It's just that sometimes subway rides can be a hassle.

-Regardless of whether you live around the area, school provides free shuttle service 3 times a week to Fairway, which is huge, and has lots of fresh produce and it's cheap.

-Free shuttle to main campus at various hours of day, and to Harlem Hospital.

-Free admission to a 20+ museums including MoMA. CUArts has offers about cultural events around the city. As a student I believe you can also get orchestra seats to the Metropolitan Opera for 20 bucks.

-You get 1000 pages of printing per term on the CUMC campus (not on the main campus).

-You get to use the CUMC gym for free, but not the ones at the main campus.

2. Classes:

- Classes are not hard to understand -- it's grad school, so a lot of reading is expected. If you are consistent in work ethics, you'll be okay. There is grade inflation, and Mailman gives out letter grades so the most you can get is A+. You can have 2 semestered courses (6 credits) to be pass/fail.

-Profs are very friendly and accommodating. I'm friends with my TAs.

-People are generally very supportive. If you need help, simply ask and you can definitely collaborate on a hard assignment.

-HPM specific: the management track will NOT change this upcoming year. The policy track will. I'm not sure how much though :( But either way, I've heard from several profs that although there are structural changes to the programs, the courses will stay similar. You'll probably still be learning a lot of the same stuff as ppl have in previous years, just packaged more effectively.

-Management track: it is quite b-school, but since it's all focused on healthcare, it's all very relevant and fits well together. But I find ppl in my classes to be less "hardcore" than ppl at b-schools, and they really do care and want to make a difference in healthcare, so it's not just about money. A lot of ppl are pre-meds in HPM, others want to do consulting, others want to work with providers, gov't, payers, etc. We have at least 2 Mailman-hosted career fairs (one per semester) and employers come to recruit (Tower Watson, Deloitte, McKinsey, NYCDOHMH, Harlem Health Promotion Center, etc etc).

-PhD: if you want to do a PhD program after, consider Effectiveness and Outcomes Research (EOR). It is the 3rd track within HPM and very small, but very heavy on quant research and I believe you do need to write a thesis.

-Switching tracks within your department: not very difficult. Just talk to track coordinator and go through the process.

-Switching departments: more difficult. It really depends on how full the dpt is. If you can't do it the first semester, typically you can take courses from the other dpt and then switch at the beginning of the 2nd one. The problem with management track though is that courses are cumulative, so if you don't get in at the very start of your program, you won't be able to switch after.

-I personally think all departments at Columbia are strong in their own ways. Epi is very strong, so is HPM and ppl just love PopFam. I'm not sure about EHS or Biostat because they're more research oriented, versus things like Management and SMS Health Promotion tend to be more hands-on and applied.

-Admission rate issue: PH programs simply tend to have a higher acceptance rate than most. That doesn't mean you're not smart, or the degree isn't worth anything. It's all about what you need it for, and what you can get out of the experience.

-Funding for Canadians: you may get OSAP (I got $200/week which is the max amount you can get). I think it's harder to get other sources of funding.

3. Friends:

-Don't worry. It is public health after all. We are all very friendly ppl ;) It's a bit hard to make friends with ppl in other departments because besides the core courses, you don't really see them a lot. Make use of orientation week-- that's when you'll get the most exposure to various departments and friendships usually are long-lasting.

4. New York:

-Amazing food, so many places to visit, just tons of fun! Occasionally you might bump into one or two famous ppl. I have a lot of random encounters in NY -- I think it is a rather extroverted city, so if you put yourself out there and are friendly, then you never really know what crazy stories you might walk away with. I am more introverted myself, so I've discovered a ton of book cafes and stuff where I can just sit and enjoy an afternoon reading.

-You never run out of things to do here! Open your heart and open your mind, and it'll be worth it.

Anyone thinking about deferring to next year or deferred from fall 2011 to this fall?

Also, has anyone considered International House in Morningside heights?

Last edited:
Hi all, since my post about a week ago I've received many, many PMs from you. At first I tried to reply to each one to the level of detail of your questions, but soon I realized they were all about the same things essentially. So I've compiled a list of FAQs below. Hopefully that'll relieve some of your anxiety.

1. Housing and living:

- I recommend the Towers. Try not to get the other ones. Tower 1 and 2 are student shares, meaning 2 bedrooms, unfurnished, full kitchen, 1 full bathroom.

thank you so much for the info.. so you have to share 1 bathroom with other three ppl? how does that work? :/