Columbia 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided on Columbia SDOS for the class of 2008 and put my herbie hancock on the acceptance today.
Who else is joining the class?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, congrats!!

Can you please list your stats?

thanks

ULTRON

yahhhh i guess i can post them.

undergrad college- washington and jefferson coll.
cum. gpa/ sci. gpa- 3.1/ 3.1
degree- double major; biology and economics
dat- 19/19/19 (with a few 18's and 20's)
-did some research
-worked on starting a non-profit org. involved with dentistry
-athletics and some organizations
-had a GREAT interview; that seemed clutch

anything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it's not too late. Just be sure to spell their name right when you apply.:laugh: ;)

Hey predentchick....maybe thats what bluekty meant! Maybe he/she wants an international dental experience. Hey buddy, I totally recommend Colombia, I might go there this summer......Ive worked with Colombian people and Colombian women are HOTTTTTTTT!!!

Ok Ok.....Ill stop being a smartass now!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by bluekty
I did that on purpose... hehehe

Anyways, if i send AADSAS for additional application.... it's gonna take about 2-3 weeks to send it to the university... so it will be there mid Jan.
Is it still okay? Isn't the class almost filled up by that time?

it's probably ok, i took my dat's nov 28?, 29? 30? something like that...and i interviewed on Feb 15th and got my acceptance letter about 2 to 3 weeks later! it's not too late...

Hey, guys. I am still decidnig between U of Michigan and Columbia.
Do you guys have any suggestions on that even though I'm leaning more toward to Columbia. Thanx!

Originally posted by DBB
yahhhh i guess i can post them.

undergrad college- washington and jefferson coll.
cum. gpa/ sci. gpa- 3.1/ 3.1
degree- double major; biology and economics
dat- 19/19/19 (with a few 18's and 20's)
-did some research
-worked on starting a non-profit org. involved with dentistry
-athletics and some organizations
-had a GREAT interview; that seemed clutch

anything else?

congrats!!!
can i ask you when you sent in your AADSAS app?
and when you were invited for an interview?
thanks...

i applied in early june (300th applicant processed?) and then interviewed on what i think was the first day of interviews; first week of october.

wow... you were so early...
thanks for your reply!!

Hey anyone know how the new P/F system at Columbia is workin out so far. How's it going to affect the new grads applying to speciality programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to Columbia for 90% sure.

I had my interview in late september and turned in AADSAS in mid July.

I am waiting for the interview results from UW and UCLA.

If they don't give me lots of scholarships, then I will be Columbian ^^

Who else is going to Columbia?

I am going to go to Columbia :clap: :D

Columbia! Columbia! Add me to the list! :clap:

I got a surprising call this morning from COlumbia's admissions office. I got in! Now I am 90% sure that's where I am going (unless there are complications) Very anxious to see you all guys, and continue to live in NYC, greatest city in the world!

Balki

P.S.
SPECIAL THANKS TO Barry20 who has generously offered me his interview date.
Thanks a lot!

Balki.......CONGRATS!!!!!! That's great news!!!!!!

i interviewed at columbia on the 30th of jan...and still havent heard anythign! i called them a few days ago to find out but they told me they couldnt tell me over the phone but pretty much indirectly told me i got in...did that happen to anyone else? did anyone call to find out? or did u just wait for the letter? and how long did u wait? hope i get it tomorrow...if i do, i'm goin to columbia!!! oh btw, im also debatin wether to go to mich or tufts over colulmbia...anyone have insight on why columbia might be best? congrats to all of you who got in!!! :)

hey dentalchia..

i sent u a pm earlier.... i had interviews at columbia and umich the same days u did...hehe....waiting to hear from columbia myself..

on the top of the menu bar where it says User Cp, Reigster, Calender, etc.. click on user cp and it'll take you there...

Hi everyone,
I just decided on Columbia today and am very excited! What I was wondering is if anyone knows when classes begin? I can't find the academic calendar anywhere online. Thanks so much and see you next year.;)

allioops,
congrats on gettin into columbia! classes begin the 3rd week of august....
i just decided on columbia tooo!! :clap:
WHERE IS EVERYONE LIVING next year??

allioops, dentalchica, freedyx,

guess whoossa joining ya!! hOllA~

We are going to have one great Class next year. I have no idea where I'll be living next year, but I believe as NYC resident I get the last pick from the dorms so i am on my own. THe rent is not that bad there.
Good luck in the upcoming semester and see you all in August.

Balki

Hi all my fellow Columbians,

First off congrats to everyone who have been accepted and chosen to attend this fine institution.

I am wondering if everyone who has decided to attend columbia next year can please email me at [email protected] and include your Name, SDN user name, and your AIM name if you use instant messenger.

I want to put together a list of all us SDN peeps in the hopes of forming a crazy SDN columbian mafia (j/k). Acutally I just want to compile a list of all us SDN columbian people so we can get in touch with each other before school started. And I also think it'd be fun if before school started we all met up at a bar and hung out. So yeah if you guys and gals could just email me the info I'll make a list and forward it to everyone else. Cool thanks and keep in touch.

Fred

Hey Fred,
The Bar or a hangout Idea is an excellent one. I'll be up for it.

Balki

Balki,

Yeah I think it'll be a great way to get to know some new people and start the year right. I remember last year the penn people did it and I think it turned out well. Drop me an email with your info if you can.

Fred

Hey,

It was a really hard decision between Columbia and Penn...

I've decided to go to Columbia... :clap:

Add me to the list... Fred, I'll e-mail to ya soon...

Hercules4255

Herc,

Nice to see you finally made your decision! I completely understand how hard the decision was since I was debating between penn and columbia as well as some of you may remember in my previous voting post:hardy: . But I think we're both def making the right decision. Add yet another columbia to the list, nice.

Fred

Hi, Fellow Columbians.

I have three questions.

1) Is it true the class starts on the third week of august? not middle september?

2) When is the orientation and is orientation mandatory?

3) What about physical (health) check up?

I hope you guys are enjoying your days ~~

I will really appreciate for your help~

thanks

Yoonchan Han

Hey may be I'll see you guys in August.

Where you guys planning to live?

Hey Woodsy,

I think the best option is prob goign to be bard. Towers would be nice to get but I hear its super hard to get as a freshmen. So I think for me i'll prob end up in bard. How bout you man?

yeah i think i'm gonna stay in the dorms it is the cheapest and most convienent. Yeha i'll try for the towers so i don't have to move. I like to cook my own meals coz res food ain't the most healthy.

gotta keep in good shape since I don't think i'll have as much time to workout like the way i do now next year so the diet will be extremely important.

Yeah I cook now, it saves money but its a pain sometimes. I think once I had pasta like every night for like 2 weeks. I think you should make the time to work out next year too, especially lower back exercises. I heard its key to keep your lowerback strong in dentistry.

Originally posted by freedyx3
Yeah I cook now, it saves money but its a pain sometimes. I think once I had pasta like every night for like 2 weeks. I think you should make the time to work out next year too, especially lower back exercises. I heard its key to keep your lowerback strong in dentistry.

Working out is my life!!! I won't sacrifice it, just can't be in the gym as long as I want to be and can't go super hardcore. I'd still train hard just not as long. perhaps I'll need to boost the intensity of the workouts.

Yep Deadlifts, legs, neck I workout EVERYTHING!

Protein shakes are great! I use a whey isolate with glutamine and juice right after teh workout, great way to grab a meal.

I figure in dental school i'll be drinking a lot more mesotech (Meal replacements) haha...

Dude you need to do it like Arnold. Lift until you pass out, wake up 15 min later and do another set, and repeat. There's this really funny video of him talkin bout lifting weight and he's says how its like coming for him. I dunno if you've seen it, if not I'll send you the link its REALLY funny. Yeah I did the protein mix (actually the chocolate flavored ones are pretty good, tastes just like chocolate milk) and it works kinda for me, but i think I just me to push myself me. We'll def have to lift together next year.

Pumpin Iron, yeah I've seen it. ANy hardcore Gym addict has seen it. Have you seen the one with Ronnie Coleman? I'll burn in on my comp and if I do end up going to New York, (90% chance), then I'll show it to ya.

I like vanilla because I can mix it with juice and it tastes good.

In terms of lifting with ya, sounds good to me buddy. It is always good to have a workout partner and someone to talk to during those boring cardio sessions.

What method does Columbia use to send out its acceptances? Email? phone call? or official letter?

It depends.
ON the interview I was told that Columbia prefers doing by mail. However I received a phone call from someone on the committee.

Does anyone know when the class starts? Did anyone hear from the financial aid office? I completed my FAFSA on the web and Columbia's questionnaires about a month ago, and I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Hi All, Congratulations

Can you guys list your stats (GPA, DAT, Any dental exp, Any Post Bach ? anyone had below 3.0 GPA but did well on DAT??).

Hi, Puff. I was a post bac with a 3.6 science (and overall) GPA. Got 23 on DAT, but only 17 on PAT. I'm a dental assistant.

Originally posted by aileen
Does anyone know when the class starts? Did anyone hear from the financial aid office? I completed my FAFSA on the web and Columbia's questionnaires about a month ago, and I haven't heard anything from them yet.

1st year usually starts mid/end of aug

Hey future Columbians, I'm a first year and thought I'd let you guys know what's up. We (the first years) are organizing your orientation. The date for move in is not set in stone yet, so we don't know exactly when orientation will begin. My class moved in on August 19th and classes started the 25th. Orientation activities are planned from the 19th-25th, most are not required but would be highly recommended. I would expect close to the same dates for you guys, give or take. Getting together before move in is a great idea if you can organize it, however keep in mind that we, being the AMAZING class that we are, are presently planning some very cool things for you guys to do so you can get to know one another during those 6 days. Some of the (tentative) activities are: Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan (aka booze cruise), Yankees game, BBQ's, museum trips, restaurants, and, of course, a healthy dose of NYC nightlife. You'll receive more info towards the middle of the summer regarding the details. If anybody has any questions I'd be glad to answer them. Also, if you have any suggestions for things you'd like to do during orientation let me know, I'm helping plan it.

[email protected]

aheM... uh...my bday is mid august so another reason to celebrate...muahahahahaa... =p

Acer,

Wow its good to know there upperclassman like you who want to make sure we have a good time. I'm so glad I picked columbia instead of........that other school upenn:laugh:

Alll the events you guys are planning sounds like a blast, but a yankees game? Comeon we all know how much the suck.
:D

Originally posted by freedyx3
Acer,

Wow its good to know there upperclassman like you who want to make sure we have a good time. I'm so glad I picked columbia instead of........that other school upenn:laugh:

Alll the events you guys are planning sounds like a blast, but a yankees game? Comeon we all know how much the suck.
:D

Wow Yankees game. Beauty! I love them. Esp with A-Rod now they are unstoppable.