Colorado yeah!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdforme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I have an interview in CO. Has anyone else interviewed there? Any tips on the school/Denver/ what I should see while I am there?
YAY the Rockies!!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you're in-state because out-state tuition is 60K!

Nope, I'm out of state but a WICHE student. I hope that the program is for tuition as well as admission!! Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow a real WICHE student! I thought they only existed in mythology! Congrats on the interview, they sent me a secondary and said "don't bother sending this in, you're from L.A.". I think the in-state tuition applies to you.. Good luck!:clap:

Hey Herpeto,
The interview day lasts about 1/2 a day- you go in, wait for 2 separate interviews for the first couple hours (they are 30-45min. each, usually), then the dean of admissions comes and talks and usually a couple current med students give a tour around the school and have lunch with you. They won't be at the new campus for several years. O, and usually they don't let people know if they got in until late March, early April. Good luck!

I've only been here for about 4 months, but I can say at least that this city is awesome...a perfect blend of outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, etc.) and a great city atmosphere with great concerts and nightlife. Not that we'll have so much time to do that in med school.....:)

I interviewed there in September, and as a CU grad, I know the school well. Jefras99 is right about how the interview day goes. It was pretty good...the first interview was a stress interview but the second was non-stress, both with MDs. They do occasionally have PhDs and med students interview applicants too. Chances are you'll have to wait until March for a decision...they said they were going to tell a very few people in October, but everyone else has to wait. I'm still not 100% sure why this is, as I've heard they more or less do all their scoring on the interview day. Only thing I can think of is that they just run down their final list of scores in March, offering acceptances to the top 250 (their estimate) to ultimately fill the class of 132.

The new campus is coming along, and 2004 matriculants will be able to attend their second year of classes there. It's gonna be really, really nice.

In-state tuition applies to WICHE students.

Denver is a great place to live. Housing is affordable, and the climate is wonderful. The mountains are only 20 minutes away from the medical school. There has, however, been a large influx of people in recent years, causing a big increase in traffic. It's annoying, but you learn to deal with it.

Colorado is one of those schools with a funky modified rolling admissions. A small number of candidates get admitted earlier than March, but most end up waiting. Who gets admitted early? Not me. I applied to the AMCAS on October 27 (3 days short of the cutoff), I submitted my secondary on December 28 and I had to FedEx my check to the school because the deadline was January 1. I received an interview and recieved an acceptance letter in the first week of April. With a true rolling admissions process there is simply no chance that any slots would have been available by the time I applied because of the arbitrary acceptance cutoff. By waiting until March, CU can interview a larger candidate pool, score everybody interviewed, and slice off 130 applicants, along with a number of wait listees. Does the strategy work overall to improve the class quality? Who knows? CU traditionally has great board scores and excellent results in the match, but whether this is attributed to their admissions strategy is unknown.

Oh yeah, as an out of state student, only the first year of tuition is "out of state." After that the next three years are at the instate rate.