Colorado State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nweb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the 1 yr PLAN B master's of biomedical science at Colorado State?

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/bms/

I emailed the program director and this sounded like another fantastic option.

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I did this program at CSU following 12 years of electrical engineering work for Hewlett-Packard. Before entering into this program I completed a couple of classes (organic chemistry I,II; intro microbiology to count as a biology semester; a cell biology class). Then I entered into the Plan B masters program with the intent of applying to medical school.

This program does not require a thesis. Just 30 something semester credit hours in anatomy, biology, physiology, . . . and then a comprehensive written exam at the conclusion of coursework. I was accepted to med school and I remember 4 others got into other med schools and a few more into vet schools.

It's a great program for its purpose. And it's purpose is to get students into medical school or vet school. It's targeted at two types of students. First, guys like me that had been out of school for a while and needed to show current academic ability with a full-time load of upper level science classes. Second, people that might have taken their undergraduate career a little too lightly earlier on and then finished up with a GPA that made it difficult getting into vet/med school. Fort Collins is a fun town to live in for a little while. I'd definitely do it again because I believe it definitely helped demonstrate current academic ability and the program probably helped me into medical school.

It seems like a good program, after looking at it I am seriously thinking of it as a possibility. I am still debating which schools to apply to, and this one seems like its gonna be on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa.

Am I reading this right...? It looks as though if I got accepted at CSU and completed their program, I might not need the '2 semesters each of Physics, Bio, Orgo, and Chem' that's more or less standard for med schools. It's as if the Plan B Master's is the preparation for med school.

I have a BA, and a 3.02. It just has nearly no science or math in it.

I've no idea what you've read regarding the prerequisites for medical school, but be cautious regarding advertising claims. Each medical school has its own set of requirements. Colorado State University has no affiliation with the single medical school in Colorado.

I attend the University of Colorado School of Medicine at UCHSC in Denver and I also completed the plan B program at CSU. However I completed each of the required courses. For example, I took advanced cell biology and microbiology which counted as a biology courses. I studied engineering so I previously completed the physics, the calculus, and general chemistry requirements. I still had to take Ochem which of course you'll need for the MCAT anyway. One suprise I received upon acceptance to CU was a notice that I still needed to complete another 3 semester credits in English literature before matriculating in August. In other words, while I was accepted without completing each of their prerequisite requirements, I could not begin medical school without all of them completed. So carefully investigate the requirements of each school. At present the University of Colorado still requires the traditional prerequistes. http://www.uchsc.edu/sm/sm/mddgree.htm

The beat-it-home point is that the medical school itself defines the prerequisites for matriculation. I encourage you to check the website of each school that interests you or call them directly and ask about their specific requirements.

Hope this is not discouraging.

Not at all. Thanks for the additional perspective.

My research so far seems to lay out a basic 'core'-style set of prereqs for most med schoos: 2 semesters each of Bio, Chem, O-Chem, and Physics. On top of that, some schools require Calculus, but many don't. Some like you to have an A&P or a Cell Bio course, most don't.

Maybe the best way to go would be to check with the schools I'm interested in, and see to what extent they might view the CSU program as filling their requirements. Sounds like I'd be likely to run into a situation like yours, where some O-Chem and Physics first would be smart.

I've requested more info from CSU, so I'll want to talk to them also, about the results Plan B graduates have attained. Thanks again.

How much does the program cost? Does anyone have an idea.