Collegiate Program Scholarship Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lodo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been applying for a HPSP scholarship through the Navy. However, I have just now been accepted to UCLA as an in-state resident. My recruiter told me of another program called the Collegiate Program that is intended for cheaper schools (i.e. public schools). Apparently the Collegiate Program pays you a salary (she thought it is currently $60k/year) and gives medical and dental benefits. This would the better option for a cheap school in which you could do whatever you want with the money that doesn't go toward tuition. However, in looking at the costs of attending UCLA (as an in-state resident) the estimated total expenses that the school reports vary b/w $56k and $63.5K per year. This would be cutting it close as to whether this Collegiate Program would fit the bill.

Does anyone have a Colligiate Program Scholarship or are you familiar with it? Do you know if it is worth choosing this program for a school such as UCLA or UCSF (which aren't incredibly cheap public schools)? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't already, try searching here (and elsewhere) about the HSCP, which is what you are referring to: the Health Services Collegiate Program.

At the very least, I believe Navy DDS 2010 is in it.

Oh, and $56k of tuition per year doesn't sound too cheap to me. :eek:

Thanks! That's helpful. I didn't even know about the enlistee vs. officer part. And, yeah UCLA and UCSF aren't especially cheap even though they are public (those #s I posted were total expenses though, not just tuition). Do if that $60k/yr salary figure is accurate or what the highest cost of tuition that would make the HSCP worthwhile for "cheap" schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy DDS, do you have any advice as to schools such as UCLA or UCSF which have total annual costs of about $60k/year for an in-stater? These aren't so cheap compared to other states' in-state tuition costs. Also, with the $20k bonus with the HPSP, is HPSP the better route despite me being an california in-stater? thanks :)

Navy DDS- Is pay for the HSCP increased each year as the "time in service" you have increases? Have you made the dean's list to receive the E-7 pay..was it just the semester or does it last for the year? Will/Do you get the O-3 pay for 4+ years of service when you were/are commissioned? Will you please only answer the questions that pertain to what has actually happened to you and not the ones that should happen.

Does the collegiate program offer a signing bonus too? Or is that just the HPSP?

Navy DDS- What I meant was I don't know how far along you are in the program and so, I was asking you to reply on the portions of my questions that have happened to you so far. With military stuff the understanding I get when I read the descriptions are sometimes far from how it actually will work.
So have you had time in service raises that are shown on the pay chart for an E-6 after two years etc? I'm not concerned with the inflation raises.

FYI- If I had concerns with your info or opinion I wouldn't direct my questions to you. You seem to give complete answers.