College vs High school gpa

koreanboi92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any pre-med here with a high gpa in college, but had a low gpa in high school? My situation:

I just finished my junior year with 3.16UW/3.3W. That pulls my UC's/Csu's gpa around 3.4. I want to just get into a college and bust my butt there. I just feel like the restrictive environment at home prevents me from studying my best. Anyone felt the same?

Members don't see this ad.

High school GPA=Worthless
College GPA=Everything

A 3.2/3 isn't low in my book.

Any pre-med here with a high gpa in college, but had a low gpa in high school? My situation:

I just finished my junior year with 3.16UW/3.3W. That pulls my UC's/Csu's gpa around 3.4. I want to just get into a college and bust my butt there. I just feel like the restrictive environment at home prevents me from studying my best. Anyone felt the same?

Not that it was super low, but I had maybe a 3.6-3.7 unweighted in high school and I finished college with 3.95+. My issue was intellectual immaturity, but your situation can be overcome as well. I know plenty of people who were marginal high school students and ended up doing really well in college. When you get out of the "restrictive environment," focus on school and don't go crazy with freedom (I've seen it happen, but I don't know what it feels like; my parents were always cool with whatever I did when I lived at home).

I agree with jg that your gpa is not too low for now, but you don't want it to be that low in college. You'll want 3.5<v<4.0 depending on your MCAT, ECs, etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.6-7 unweighted GPA in High School but my college GPA is quite a bit higher. Don't worry about it, go to college and focus.

College GPA=Everything

I disagree that High School GPA is worthless , it helps determine if you even get accepted into some colleges , scholarships etc . Everything has a time and a place .

College GPA tends to be more respected and looked at , also depends on your major or what you plan to do after undergrad ...

I don't feel your GPA is too low but do try to improve and do your best :)

I definitely wouldn't be concerned about this if I were you. I did okay in hs, 3.7 or so, but much better in college. Like you said, just bust your butt when you get there. And I agree with WashMe that intellectual maturity can play a role. I felt completely different about class in college than I did in hs. In college, I even started enjoying a lot of them, especially the sciences, which is why college is nice, since you can tailor your course load, with some exceptions, to fit your interests. At least for me, when I am actually interested in a course, I tend to do much better.

Best of luck!

not much of a correlation.

Agreed. I was a horrible high school student. I got grades, but simply on talent alone (i.e., I never studied or did work). Once I got into college I got on the grind and have a 3.95+. High school GPA and college GPA aren't really related. I think they speak more to your maturity and willingness to work than ability.

As long a you get into college and do well, your high school GPA won't come into play when you apply for graduate school. For example, I didn't even list where I went to graduate school on my CV (but this was not an MD program, but I believe it works the same) I don't even actually remember my GPA OR my SAT scores. Most people don't. So don't worry about it. Your high school GPA is completely different than your college GPA. In high school you are taking all these fundamental classes to give you a background in many different things. In college you get to choose your schedule (you can wake up everyday at 2 PM if that's what you really want to do), choose your professors, choose your classes etc. Thus you will be taking classes that are more interesting to you, and don't take as much time. You have a lot more free time in college than high school (instead of going all day, you have many a total of 3 hours every week actually sitting in class plus whatever amount of time it takes to do homework). So don't worry about it.

I want to attend the UG (undergraduates) AryaStark attended if you could wake up at 2 pm and only attend 3 hours of classes a week! Orgo was only offered at 8am and my UG!

While I don't think your HS GPA will affect your med school admissions, it will affect your opportunities in UG in terms of admissions, scholarships, grants, fellowships, internships, and other opportunities. Showing improvement in the last couple of years of HS can show a serious attitude towards academics.

The other thing is that HS is a good time to develop study skills, and learn the fundamentals of a subject. The Kreb's cycle isn't going away just because you didn't learn it in HS...next time you will probably be expected to know even more details! Poor grades may relect a lack of development of a foundation to build UG education on.

There is more freedom in college...which has advantages and disadvantages. You are also, generally, playing on a more competitive field. Since college isn't required, teachers aren't teaching to the lowest common denominator. There is also less pressure for instructors to ensure that all students pass.

haha I meant that each course consists of about 3 hours a week instead of an hour and a half every other day (like in my high school). For example I would either take a 3 and a half hour class once a week, a 50 minute class 3 times a week (this was really for intro classes though) or 1 1/2 hours twice a week. It came out wrong initially haha. Also, my undergrad offered a lot of courses at different times. I was a psychology major, and the upper level courses were around 1-2 pm. The intro courses usually were around 10. So it CAN be done. This past semester I had Mondays off, Tuesdays didn't start until 2, Weds off, and worked half day Thursday and worked all day Friday. That was the good life. Next year in grad school I am expecting 70 hour work weeks. UGH.

I want to attend the UG (undergraduates) AryaStark attended if you could wake up at 2 pm and only attend 3 hours of classes a week! Orgo was only offered at 8am and my UG!

While I don't think your HS GPA will affect your med school admissions, it will affect your opportunities in UG in terms of admissions, scholarships, grants, fellowships, internships, and other opportunities. Showing improvement in the last couple of years of HS can show a serious attitude towards academics.

The other thing is that HS is a good time to develop study skills, and learn the fundamentals of a subject. The Kreb's cycle isn't going away just because you didn't learn it in HS...next time you will probably be expected to know even more details! Poor grades may relect a lack of development of a foundation to build UG education on.

There is more freedom in college...which has advantages and disadvantages. You are also, generally, playing on a more competitive field. Since college isn't required, teachers aren't teaching to the lowest common denominator. There is also less pressure for instructors to ensure that all students pass.

My highschool gpa is around <2.5~ and i'm going to college with the intent of 3.8+. Would it be easier on me if i made more of an effort? absolutley. But i had a lot of horrible family problems going on in my life and i barley attended school my sophomore and junior year. I believe that high school gpa sets you up to get into a better undergrad institution and eventually a better medical school because of your undergrad. It's all really one big chain.

Members don't see this ad :)
college is totally different

studying/life/people/etc are different (which is good to me :))

I wouldn't compare the highschool GPA with any College because every college has a different set of expectations.

Some colleges have classes with easy and feasible A's, where some could kick you butt for even getting a B-.

The general grading is somewhat the same for most colleges. The difference between a B and an A is HUGE. And, you could be off by a point and lose that A for a stinkin' B. It could be a downer to say the least. But, college is harder. They also demand more off each class than in high school. You could be taking four classes in college and study about 3-4 hours for each subject. (I may be exaggerating a bit). ;)

Just study with and get advice from some upperclassmen your first semester, while you are transitioning.

College GPA=Everything

+1

I was a C student in high school because I simply didn't care about grades until my senior year. I got into a top tier liberal arts school somehow and have made the most of it since. HS grades mean nothing once you get into college. College grades are infinity more important and you actually learn things of importance in college.

HS- 3.3
College- 3.7
MedSchool- 4.0

I concur with high school GPA = worthless....only good for getting into college of your choice from my experience. GPA from undergrad is everything!! Med school or any professional school admission is getting much more competitive nowadays, even compared to 4 years ago when I applied. To make you a good candidate at first glance- the first thing the admission committee will look at is your overall GPA/ science GPA and your MCAT/DAT/OAT whatever score. Then only if you meet a certain level then they will skim through your essay...THEN they offer an interview.

I wouldn't totally discard your high school grades though....do the best you can...don't bank on the possibility that it may not matter cuz you'll never know. Good luck.

I didn't even have to sit in class during high school. I had a 3.8+ with all honors classes and every tough class my school offered. I just did the homework during class the day it was due usually. Sports, music, and all my other activities were more important than going home and studying for me. I then went on to tank freshman year and do mediocre sophomore year. Why? I never was forced to develop study habits. Right now I'm doing mediocre in med school by my standards, but it has more to do with stupid mistakes than not knowing the material. It is always a learning experience trying to figure out what works best.

It is funny how once you are accepted, the 4 years of hard work previous is pretty much erased. People in my med school class talked a lot during orientation about grades, mcat, and where they interviewed, but in the end, the person that had a 4.0 and 33 MCAT who interviewed at some of the most respected programs around is still at the same school as me, who didn't interview at those places and didn't have those grades.

Your high school performance doesn't have to predict your college performance. Some people do better in college, but just remember that sometimes, performance can go down in college too.

That was the case with me. I was very studious and straight-laced in high school, and going to college so far from home and having so much freedom was a little bit overwhelming for me at first. My freshman year of college, I skipped almost all of my classes, went to parties every night, and essentially prioritized my social life far above my academic one. I turned that around later, but even with many semesters of perfect performance and high credit loads, I couldn't totally undo the damage from freshman year.

Just keep in mind that you need to find balance for yourself in college. Don't live in the library, but don't live on the frat quad either (unless of course, you actually live there). If you remember that, you should be fine.

High School GPA= 3.2
Undergrad=3.88

Im glad I had a lower GPA high school because as soon as I got to college I buckled down and got the message. For everyone I believe its a little different, but the college GPA really matters when applying for medical school.

there will always be an opportunity to party; its up to you to determine when you can attend.
wake up for 8am class.
see you professors if you dont understand something.
make friends that are also serious about their studies.
something else worth noting: take ALL of your classes seriously.. not just premed.. you're paying for an education, not just some stepping stone to medical school.

moral of the story: take college seriously, challenge yourself as much as you can both academically and socially

High school : 3.45 (3.3 until senior year)

College: 3.85 overall / 3.95 science

High school - played baseball and involved in various activites
College - wintertime skied 100+ days/year. Spring through fall - biked 200-250 miles per week. Worked 35+ hr/week. Was a TA for multiple classes and was involved in student council.

Point is: high school doesn't determine anything. I was much more active and involved in college. Still had a life (very little sleep though). And still got great grades which included a 3.33 after my freshman year of college. No matter how good or bad you do in high school, you can still get great grades while having a life outside of school.

Say you wanted to get into a BS/MD program right after high school. I am guessing your high school GPA would not be worthless anymore, correct?

Say you wanted to get into a BS/MD program right after high school. I am guessing your high school GPA would not be worthless anymore, correct?

GPAs aren't worthless in high school. They just don't determine how well you will do in college. If you did sub-par in high school, you can still do well in college and get into a professional school of your choice. Now, competative GPAs are needed if you want to go to a very good undergrad school to increase your likelyhood of getting into med school. Also, as in your scenerio, if you are interested in the BS/MD programs, you have to have been an exceptionally good student in high school to get accepted into these programs. So, you are correct in this assumption.

Usually there isn't a big correlation. However, I will inform you of one pattern I have definitely seen. Moving from a restrictive environment to being completely free/independent is a lot to handle at once. I have seen many students fail terribly their first year because they spend so much of their time abusing their new freedom instead of budgeting time aside for classes. This holds especially true for asian kids (IMO)...my advice to you is to not abuse your freedom when you get in college, you may think the first year is not that important, but it can have an immense effect on your future education prospects

Uhh i dont even dare to tell you guys what my Highschool GPA was. Regardless i scored highest out of the people in my GED class/test.

i do kinda wish i had buckled down now in high school just for the sheer reason of getting scholarships and going right into a university but hey... ya win some ya lose some isn't that the saying?

regardless im pretty much saying peace to my social life once i get my school started (hooray august 17th :)) i've done enough partying to last me for the rest of my life now its time for me to do something that actually makes me proud of myself. like getting into and through med school :laugh:

Don't worry about it. Just work your butt off in college and you'll be fine. I had a decent GPA in hs but I bombed the SAT. But then again, I wasn't surprised because I didn't study for it at all.

Oh and a word of advice, try to go to a UC if possible. CSUs are too laid back, IMO.

Don't worry about it. Just work your butt off in college and you'll be fine. I had a decent GPA in hs but I bombed the SAT. But then again, I wasn't surprised because I didn't study for it at all.

Oh and a word of advice, try to go to a UC if possible. CSUs are too laid back, IMO.

The high school GPA matters a ton if you're not already in college. Once you start college, everything is a clean state. But right now, all the adcoms see are your GPA/SAT/PS/ECs. A strong GPA/SAT will open the door for you at a lot of places. If you're struggling with your GPA, you should focus on bolstering your SAT. Ultimately though, heres my advice from someone entering med school. The college you go to will only matter to your mom and the friends she talks to. A 3.2GPA/31MCAT from Harvard will be blown away by a 3.9/35 from CSU Fullerton at most places. With your stats, you'll get in at least SOMEWHERE. Consider what's important to you (cost, location, prestige, etc) and go from there. I had enough scholarships to go to UC Berk for free and turned down Brown/Cornell/Columbia. I did this because I would've had to pay 50k/yr to attend the other schools. Going 75k into debt for my first year of med school, I've been thinking a lot about whether or not this was a good move and am REALLY happy I went to a place that was free (although my college experience was a bit lackluster...if you're going to UCB/UCLA, be prepared to compete :-\).

It's amazing the turnaround a lot of people make transitioning from high school to college. I'm pretty much hovering at around the same level that I was in high school but I've seen some people plummet/skyrocket.

The high school GPA matters a ton if you're not already in college.

This only matters if you are worried about getting into a 'top tier' school or if your major state schools have certain entrance requirements. Based on the OP's situation, just getting into a college is important to them. Getting into Harvard, Stanford, Cornell, etc. doesn't seems to matter. Since this is the case, it isn't as important as you state. MANY, MANY people every year go to small colleges and universities and get into great medical/dental/pharmacy/osteopathic schools. I went to Podunk College in Buttplug, USA. No one has really ever heard of it, but yearly we have had an extremely high acceptance rate into health professional schools. Now, these schools may know about our reputation of getting acceptances, but it doesn't speak for the other many small colleges and universities that have success also. i think too much emphasis is placed on what college you go to and not enough on the actual education you received. I know I was as prepared if not more prepared for dental school than most of my classmates who went to colleges that had 100 times larger science departments than we had.

The OP just needed to know whether it is possible for a person who has not excelled in high school to turn things around and excell in college. The answer is YES!

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say don't sweat it. In high school I got about a 3.7 (weighted with AP's), and didn't get better than a C in pre-calc.

I just finished my first year + one summer class in college and I have a 3.91 (have had a very tough schedule too). It's all about having a good work ethic and being disciplined with your studies. If you can do that, this will set you above the vast majority of your college classmates, and with the way curves go, you can get very good grades.

You just have to commit yourself more than you ever have.