College research questions

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In undergrad years, is it possible to land some sort of research position (paid or unpaid) with a doctor in the school of medicine? I'm thinking being involved with an orthopedic surgeon early on would be helpful...

Members don't see this ad.

In undergrad years, is it possible to land some sort of research position (paid or unpaid) with a doctor in the school of medicine? I'm thinking being involved with an orthopedic surgeon early on would be helpful...

It would depend on the medical schools policy, but it has been my experience that this is possible. My school has a paid program with the nearest med school. It isn't big pay, but its still nice.

That seems pretty cool. What stuff are you undergrads allowed to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
It would depend on the physician's line of research. If he is doing basic research, you may be able to land a project (at least helping a grad student or post-doc out on one) doing things like protein assays, data analysis, whatever he is researching. If he is doing clinical research, then you may help in statistical analysis, patient interviews, etc. It really depends on the PI and his line of work, personality, openness to undergrads, etc.

There are also summer programs at a variety of universities (undergraduate and graduate) that pay a stipend. For example, this will be my second summer at a research position at UT Southwestern, a graduate medical/research school. We get paid a $4k stipend, choose a lab, and do hardcore work for that lab for 10 weeks. It's more or less a job, but it's far better than working at a "real" job.

In short, there are plenty of opportunities for paid research positions at your home institution or elsewhere.

I agree with Cole. I spent a summer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital getting paid to do research. It was a great experience, and I highly recommend doing such summer programs.

I agree with Cole. I spent a summer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital getting paid to do research. It was a great experience, and I highly recommend doing such summer programs.

I have a friend doing this as well, and she seems to be pretty excited. That's another popular program to do.

There are also several biomedical companies that offer research-type programs for the summer if you would prefer to go that route.

Awesome, thanks. I'll ask the doctors at the medical schools to see if generally undergrads are able to do something. Otherwise I'll just look around for the summer when I get there :)