College Packing!

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, orientation is creeping up way earlier than I expected, and I'm already thinking of some general things I might need to bring to both the one-week-long orientation session and the actual year of college. Does anyone have any lists (copy mine and add more items in your post) or most-forgotten tips in mind? Thanks!

towels
sheets
pillows/pillow cases
clothes-formal and informal? enough for one week or two?
plastic dishes, snacks, dish towels
batteries
cell phone
iPod, mp3, laptop, computer, other electronics
flashlight
surge protector
watch, clock, alarm clock
school books, paper, notebooks, pencils, binders, etc.
cash money-how much is a generally good starting amount?
trashcan w/ trashbags

Also, if our dorm closes over winter break, do we really have to take all of these things back home and then take them back to the dorm again when the spring semester starts?

Members don't see this ad.

So, orientation is creeping up way earlier than I expected, and I'm already thinking of some general things I might need to bring to both the one-week-long orientation session and the actual year of college. Does anyone have any lists (copy mine and add more items in your post) or most-forgotten tips in mind? Thanks!

Your list looks pretty good so far.

Is the orientation week just the week before school starts and thus you can move in at that point? Or is it just a week during the summer where you just come for orientation and then go home again?

If you'll actually be moving in during orientation then go ahead and bring everything you need. Is it a dorm, apartment? Any roomates? Back in college I was in a dorm my first year and just called up my roomates and we coordinated who was going to be bring a TV and/or stereo.

Also, if our dorm closes over winter break, do we really have to take all of these things back home and then take them back to the dorm again when the spring semester starts?

You'll just have to check with your individual dorm. At my state school we had the dorm for the year so while we had to leave so it could close during winter break we were able to leave all our stuff there since we had the same room for the spring semester.

Members don't see this ad :)

towels
sheets
pillows/pillow cases
batteries
cell phone
flashlight
surge protector
trashcan w/ trashbags

You forgot some essentials:

Condoms
Toilet paper
Silverware (a 2 piece set should be good-sometimes you can 'borrow' these from the cafeteria)

Your list looks pretty good so far.

Is the orientation week just the week before school starts and thus you can move in at that point? Or is it just a week during the summer where you just come for orientation and then go home again?

Just a week during the summer, unfortunately! So maybe just take only a carry-on bag of essentials that would be easy to transport back and forth?

Is it a dorm, apartment? Any roomates? Back in college I was in a dorm my first year and just called up my roomates and we coordinated who was going to be bring a TV and/or stereo.

I'll have a dorm with one roommate, although I'm going the random route, so I'm still not sure who it's going to be. :) Is it still appropriate to call someone I've never met and arrange who plans to bring what?

You'll just have to check with your individual dorm. At my state school we had the dorm for the year so while we had to leave so it could close during winter break we were able to leave all our stuff there since we had the same room for the spring semester.

Oh nice! Is it safe to leave everything there, if the option is available? I am mostly worried about my computer and any other potentially valuable objects that might be stolen or damaged by poor heating.

Hahah, thanks 0Complications! :laugh: And she's smoking hot.

I know some people forget this, but why not:

-A picture of your family in case you might see them less often

Just a week during the summer, unfortunately! So maybe just take only a carry-on bag of essentials that would be easy to transport back and forth?

Gotcha, in that case yea, just take whatever you'd take if you were traveling for a few days in a suitcase or two. At my undergrad we had something similar where we came up for a few days and they housed us in a random dorm. Definitely don't want to bring anything up at that point. Besides, most of the time you'll be busy with orientation "stuff" during the day and then going out and meeting other people at night.

They should tell you if you need stuff like sheets, but I think I just brought my clothes, a pair of sheets to put on the bed and my pillow. I was hardly in the room as a group of us became friends and just went out each night.

I'll have a dorm with one roommate, although I'm going the random route, so I'm still not sure who it's going to be. :) Is it still appropriate to call someone I've never met and arrange who plans to bring what?

Mine was random as well. When they gave us the names/numbers I just called them to introduce myself and informally just asked if they were planning on bringing something like a TV so I could decide whether to leave mine.

Oh nice! Is it safe to leave everything there, if the option is available? I am mostly worried about my computer and any other potentially valuable objects that might be stolen or damaged by poor heating.

I wouldn't leave your computer or any real valuable objects. Our dorm was "locked" during the break but I'm sure misc repairs were done while we were gone. I certainly would not leave my laptop or other small valuables. Point is probably won't need to go packing up all your clothes, bedding stuff, food, etc....

For once you move in:
Non-perishable food/snack food
Paper towels
Cleaning Supplies
A hand vacuum is nice, especially for since college students tend to eat on their beds!
Laundry detergent
Clothes hamper
First aid kit - sounds dorky, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who forget simple necessities like band-aids, a thermometer, and Motrin!

One week long orientation? Wow. Ours is two days, one night.

Haha.... totally forgot about shower sandals. HIGHLY recommended :thumbup:

At least my dorm it was shared bathrooms with the whole floor so no way my feet were touching that floor.

Haha, good tip. :)

Just out of curiousity, when the dorms close down for winter break, where do the students who don't go home for the holidays stay? Are there any temporary apartments around the university, usually?

Would it make sense to just get an apartment for sophomore, junior, and senior years of college? On the one hand, the apartments are not right on campus and don't come with meal plans, so there is less convenience, but on the other hand, they are basically a place you can call home for three continuous years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, have you never been on a short little trip before? I really don't think there's anything too out of the ordinary that you would need for orientation. Mine was kind of boring actually :sleep:.

As far as winter break, I think it depends on your particular school's policies. At my school, you could leave your stuff, but I know at other schools that people had to take all their stuff home with them. Even if you can leave your stuff though, definitely do not leave anything too valuable; e.g. laptop, IPOD, just use your judgement.

Oh and, definitely at least contact your roomate through facebook or something... this is pretty much the norm.

I reccomend to get some propel packets and gatorade packets, they come in handy to mix with water and some come with the appropriate amount of vitamins.

Don't forget a camera! You'll have a bunch of things you'll want to take pictures of so you can remember them down the line.

If your dorm and roommate will allow it, I recommend the following:

Coffee pot
Microwave
Foreman Grill
Mini-fridge

Oatmeal is a good easy breakfast and it stores well (try making it with coffee some time)

Don't forget that it might be summer when you head out but it could be winter before you get back home. Pack for snow if you're heading somewhere that gets cold.

I'm going to second the shower sandals and a robe (it doesn't have to be anything fancy). A plastic or wire basket to carry your stuff in isn't a bad idea either.

I'll second condoms. Seriously, it's a good idea even if you're on the pill. College can be a crazy place.

On that note... I'm not going to provide medical advice, but there are some vaccines you might want to discuss with your doctor (HPV, Meningitis, etc) before popping off to college guys and gals.

(clarification: HPV vaccine is for gals only ATM, the meningitis vaccine can be given to both)

Last edited:
The biggest lifesavers for me were a couple folding chairs, a ps2 and the newest copy of madden.

And a fake ID.

All the other stuff, meh whatever. I just picked up crap if I needed it. Honestly, you don't NEED that much stuff. I survived a week in Poland with a small jansport backpack. Orientation won't be that much different, except less travel and language barriers.

Yes... if your dorm will allow it. DON'T FORGET YOUR FOREMAN. Just make sure you engrave your name or some other ID on it. Things tend to disappear at college from time to time.

towels
sheets
pillows/pillow cases
batteries
cell phone
flashlight
surge protector
trashcan w/ trashbags
toilet paper
toothbrushes
toothpaste
dental floss
bar soap
hand soap

updated.